Return to Website

HaT Forum

A forum to discuss HaT products, ETS, uniformology, modeling, painting, and other essentials associated with HaT products.

HaT Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Medieval revisited: War of the Roses?

The Wars of the Roses is well covered by Redbox, its what their medieval sets are for...

We could do with a good set of earlier Franks and Caroligians both cavalry and Infantry..

Anglo-Saxon shield wall Early(pre 8th century) and later(2 sets)...

Viking shield wall..9th-10th century

Anglo Danish Huscarls suitable for 1000-1066 possible by having both round and kite shields in the set... King Canute had several thousand as did Harold Godwinson..

Most sets currently available are a mixed bag of poses often covering too large a time scale or have faults of one sort or another more or less... or are simply fictional...

note Most sets incorporating the shield wall as a primary figure pose have sold out...

What I would want with any army are poses that compliment each other and represent the common battlefield formations and tactics of the time...

Just some ideas

WOR`s is a period I have asked for from the hobby since I discovered the internet, Redbox`s range although not bad, is not great either and has left me feeling a little disappointed. I have bought the early sets, but feel Redbox have gone for quantity over quality with subjects being covered that are almost peripheral in the big scheme of things. A good quality set of fully armoured foot knights and men at arms is sorely needed as are some of the key players, the period would lend it`s self to crowd funding, who would not want a good Warwick as a bonus figure.

Alan Buckingham
WOR`s is a period I have asked for from the hobby since I discovered the internet, Redbox`s range although not bad, is not great either and has left me feeling a little disappointed. I have bought the early sets, but feel Redbox have gone for quantity over quality with subjects being covered that are almost peripheral in the big scheme of things. A good quality set of fully armoured foot knights and men at arms is sorely needed as are some of the key players, the period would lend it`s self to crowd funding, who would not want a good Warwick as a bonus figure.

They improved a lot - their newer sets like the Scurrers or the Scottish Light Cav are much much better. Sadly that doesn't mean they'll re-do the earlier sets and pikemen that look more like caber tossers, but ah well...if all else fails, Tumbling Dice does a metal WotR range.

Hi Malcolm,

Due to the different shape of the shields the Byzantines can be used for quite long period of time VII AD - XIII AD and the masters look good, the only problem is lack of updates...

Re: Medieval revisited

Just one problem with the El Cid Spanish infantry - you can't build a shield wall.

Perhaps HaT would consider a mini set to fill this gap. Might only need 3 or 4 poses, as long as they're all holding their shields FACING TOWARDS THE ENEMY.

The set need not even be particularly specific to an army, just generic poses with maybe alternative heads and shields to fit any western European army from the early middle ages.

Hey guys,
I am glad to see so much interest and communication. The Byzantines appear to be from the period of about 900-1025. Hat's El Cid Line would work well with them. I would love to see a Viking Shield wall. A lot of good ideas floating around. Several that sound crowd funding worthy. Just an old man's thought.
Ole Ben

i agree with the carolingian/frankish sets that ironsides mentioned,are needed.
from charles martel thru charlamagne,there are quite alot of sets available and also in need as well.early saxons,avars,lombards amongst others.

I feel I need to say That the El Cid line is a great spot to start an extensive 11th century medieval line that could cover Feudal Europe, North Africa, and the middle East. A good set of generic Turkish Ghulams (Slave soldiers found in many of a medieval sultans army) would be a good start for a wargamer to create the armies of Fatimid Egypt and the muslim armies further east. A set of generic Norman style knights could be used for the armies of Western Europe (and that includes Italy) all the way into the Holy Roman Empire.Then if you want to expand into the British Isles, Scandinavia, the Byzantine Empire, and Eastern Europe, You could do that too if you wished.

Jon
I feel I need to say That the El Cid line is a great spot to start an extensive 11th century medieval line that could cover Feudal Europe, North Africa, and the middle East. A good set of generic Turkish Ghulams (Slave soldiers found in many of a medieval sultans army) would be a good start for a wargamer to create the armies of Fatimid Egypt and the muslim armies further east. A set of generic Norman style knights could be used for the armies of Western Europe (and that includes Italy) all the way into the Holy Roman Empire.Then if you want to expand into the British Isles, Scandinavia, the Byzantine Empire, and Eastern Europe, You could do that too if you wished.

What I'd like to see are some serjeants in kettle hats - could be used for many things. I'd like to get some for my Crusaders, as the Sterelts kits are hard to find, a combined "Crusader infantry" set with 15 poses would be really nice - five with spears and shields, five with crossbows and five with bows. Then a cavalry set, like the Late Romans, 8 poses, 4 sergeants with spears and shields, 4 with bows (turkopoles)...then a combined foot and mounted knights set, like the Zvezda HYW English and French knights.