Return to Website

Suedewave.com Community Forum

Welcome to Suede's online community forum!

Please feel free to post favorite recipes, song requests, clubs you'd like to see Suede play, reviews of recent shows, de-skunking remedies, etc., but please keep it clean...

Your Diva is a lady of delicate sensibilities, as you know.

Now go. Talk amongst yourselves!

Suedewave.com Community Forum
Start a New Topic 
1 2
Author
Comment
book, movie, music suggestions!!

all the buzz about penelope j. stokes' book "delta belles" got me inspired!

I love getting book/movie recommendations so I thought this might be a good place to share such things.

I'll start with movies...
I recently saw "little miss sunshine" and loved it! I also recently saw "kinky boots" and loved it as much..

music:
oy, where to begin??? someone I discovered recently and deserves MUCH bigger recognition is k. j. denhert. if you like what I do I think you'll love her work. find her at www.kjdenhert.com. we've done a few shows together and it's great fun. can't wait for more of it!

books:
on a recent long flight (who knows where?) I read "the secret life of bees" by sue monk kidd and LOVED it.

speaking of writers, I am a huge fan of any of anne lamott's work and am proud to call her a friend from WAY back before either of us was remotely famous. a bit of suede trivia -- my sister was anne's roommate in college. I used to play tennis with anne and then we'd all gather back in the dorm and pick up the guitars for a few hours....ah, the good old days.

another amazingly talented woman, and friend, is jan phillips. jan is a writer, a visionary, photographer, musician, ex-nun, world traveler, and brilliant soul. check out all her work on www.janphillips.com. I recently took her book "making peace: one woman's journey around the world" off my shelf and was deeply moved by its power and beauty all over again.

one of the most brilliant writers I have ever discovered is a british woman named jeanette winterson. she paints with words, she makes music with her writing. among my favorites of hers; "written on the body" and "gut symmetries."

I recently read pam houston's "sight hound" and when I reached the last page I started it over again immediately. loved it. yes, I'm a huge dog lover but this book is also about relationships and grabbed my heart practically from page one.

last but not least, and particularly pertinent given the upcoming 5 year anniversary of 9/11 - a magnificent tribute to the women first responders that awful day - "the women at ground zero: stories of courage and compassion", an incredible book by my friends mary carouba and susan hagen (a firefighter herself). check it out at www.womenatgroundzero.com. I can say a LOT more about this, if interested, not the least of which is the fact that I had the honor of singing for these courageous women and getting to know a few of them. incredibly inspiring. get the book. it's amazing.

enough for starters? someone take it from here!

Re: book, movie, music suggestions!!

After seeing 'Live at Scullers', we were hooked! And then missed you by mear days two years in a row in Ptown. Not to worry; I just reserved tickets for your show at the Tin Angel in Phila. on the 16th and I'm sooo thrilled. In fact, we're building a weekend all around you - We're coming in from NJ, dinner at Serranos, and getting a room for the night, (which will NOT go to waste) and CAN NOT WAIT!!!!
So, about movies...do older ones count? Some of my absolute favorites are 'Who's Afraid of Virginia Wolf', 'The Graduate', 'To Sir w/Love', 'Looking For Mr. Goodbar', 'Valley of the Dolls','Requium For A Dream' - very intense but a masterpiece!, and, of course, 'Billy Elliot.'

love "billy elliot!" love "valley of the dolls!" have not seen "reqieum for a dream" which has been on my list for a long time. of COURSE older movies count! I am a huge fan of "an affair to remember", "imitation of life", all old hitchcock, "to kill a mockingbird" and SO many others! thanks for posting and see you in philly! wahoo!

Just checked Jan Phillips site. She definately sounds amazing. You can feel her amazing depth by viewing her photographs as they really tell a story.

James Redfield's Celestine Prophecy and many of Wayne Dyer's books give lots of inspiration. However, I'm currently reading Lauren Weisberger's the devil wears prada. It's a hoot and fun for light reading. Can't wait to see the movie.

A movie I recently fell in love with is Ladies in Lavender with Maggie Smith and Judi Dench. They play two sisters and are amazing considering they are in their 70's. The acting and connection between them is a treat to watch.

MOVIES: I can’t remember the last time I went to a movie theater. Though, no fear, I subscribe to Netflix. May not see the movie as soon as it comes out, but eventually…. There are so many good movies out there, even going back as far as Charlie Chapman’s silent films. The one film that has always stayed with me is “Mondo Cane”. I saw it when I was a senior in high school and it affected me so deeply that I was talking about it for months. It is a documentary that took you into some macabre places and recorded all sorts of oddities. To give an example: “A Dog’s Life” was presented from allowing dogs in restaurants in France, to dog fights in Mexico, to funerals for dogs in Hollywood being more lavish and costly than funerals for humans, to Asia, where dogs are eaten. The differences in cultures in today’s world definitely came out clear. This film is not for everyone. Interestingly, the song “More” came out of this film.

BOOKS: I am a historical novel; murder/mystery reader. However, due to all the hype on this site, concerning “Delta Dawn”, I am currently plugging my way through it… I guess a little diversity is good! :-) MURDER/MYSTERY AUTHORS: At the top of my list is James Patterson (though he has started to use apprentice assistants to help in his writings), Patricia Cornwell, John Stanford, Jonathan Kellerman and Stuart Woods. HISTORICAL NOVELS: As with most historical novels, it helps for the reader to have an interest and prior knowledge of the subject to make the reading more interesting. James Michener’s “Chesapeake”, “Hawaii”, “Alaska”, “Caribbean”. William Martin’s “Annapolis”, “Cape Cod”, and “Back Bay”. Patrick Smith’s “A Land Remembered”, “Forever Island”, “Allapattah”, “The River Home”, and “Angel City”. Smith’s are all Florida historical novels. The book that has affected me the most is “Angel City”. A West Virginia family, in the 50’s, comes to Florida to better their lives. What they find is degradation in a migrant labor camp. As late as the 70’s (with rumors of it still occurring today), the horrid of the camps depicted in “Angel City” were based on fact.

MUSIC: I grew up in the golden age of Rock n’ Roll. 78’s, 45’s and LP’s. Saturday’s allowance went for the latest hit of the week. (“Come Go With Me”, “Earth Angel”, “In the Still of the Night”, “Chances Are”… and the list goes on and on only to use up all the memory of this site.) Those songs were played in my bedroom, with the door closed, and sound at a minimum. Out in our living room were sounds of Big Bands and Jazz, drowning out any sounds coming from my bedroom. So, I was also reared on the unforgettable sounds of Goodman, Miller, Shaw, Armstrong, Fitzgerald, Horn and Holiday. Starting in the 70’s I found it hard to relate to singers who ate their mics thus rendering all sounds unrecognizable, even attempts to read their lips failed. Suede fills my bill in today’s era – a varied song list, with pure and clarity of sound. Another singer, high on my list is Trish Yearwood ( a little country is good for the soul).

Where to begin? Since we are including classic films, I must mention two of my favorites, both starring the departed Kate Hepburn -- "African Queen" and "Lion in Winter." Despite her many peculiarities, she was transported in both these films. Another classic seldom mentioned these days but which was astonishing in its time is Robert Altman's brilliant "Nashville." And who will ever forget Lily Tomlin's textured performance? More recently, and in an oddly related vein is "Chicago" -- with all those great tunes delivered by unconventional performers.

In respect to music and most particularly jazz, where would we all be if George Gershwin had lived into his eighties? Oh my. Some of the most evocative melodies of all time came from this man. The lump in the throat melodic line of "I Loves You Porgy" is rivalled in my book only by Puccini's equally wrenching "Un Belle Di" aria. Gershwin broke down all the defining walls. What a magnificent talent! And while we are speaking of too early departures from this life, who can dismiss the beautiful voices of Eva Cassidy and Nancy LaMott? Another vocalist I treasure is Deedles -- Diane Schuur.

Books. Oh dear, where to begin? I commend you to Wally Lamb's fabulous "She's Come Undone" and "I know This Much Is True." He does not crank out a book a year, but what he has written is incredible. Also, go back to Muriel Spark and her entire body of work, but be sure to read an early haunting book -- "Momento Mori." I echo Suede's enthusiasm for Jeanette Winterson. Extraordinary. And then there is the wonderful Alexander McCall Smith who does crank them out like hotcakes. Be sure to take in the entire Ladies No. 1 Detective Agency series for a sense of the grace and gentleness of Botswana and its refined culture. Someone menioned Patricia Cornwell. I find that in the past few years, she is consistenly disppointing and seems to specialize in developing iincreasingly unsympathetic characters. If you have an interest in forensic detective works, I commend Kathy Reichs -- the writer whose work is the source of the current TV series, "Bones." Personally, I watch very little television and have not actually seen any of the shows, but have read all her books. For those of us with an interest in anthropology, she also covers this area. And finally, EVERYTHING Maya Angelou writes -- poetry, memoirs, all of it -- is outstanding. In addition, I know her personally and am happy to report that she is one marvelous human being. We are blessed to share the planet with her. And this is true of all those who have been mentioned in these postings. Great idea, Suede. Let's keep the reflections flowing.

ah yes, my dear departed friends eva cassidy and nancy lamott....nancy took me under her wing on my first visit to the new york city club scene many years ago and showed me the ropes as the newbie in town. she was a fabulous talent and a remarkable, loving woman. what heart, what a voice - a real dear. we all miss her.

I met eva when my road mgr. and she shared a "day gig" doing faux finishing for a designer in wash. DC just as eva was starting to play out in local clubs. she and her band opened for me and my band at the kennedy center many years ago -if you can believe that! what an amazing spirit and voice. her version of "over the rainbow" still brings me to tears.

as far as I am concerned there are certain classics that should be left to the original, ultimate versions by the greats and not touched again - "over the rainbow" is one of them, as is "what a wonderful world." however, eva took on both songs and made them all her own like none I have heard before or since. she was absolutely amazing and is missed by us all as well. anyone who does not know of these two singers must go get their CDs. you will not be sorry.

now, if we're going to start talking about singers I'll run out of room, my dears. but -- I found a new singer that has a style and voice that's a cross of ella fitzgerald and carmen mccrae. she knocks me out and believe me, I can be a real snob when it comes to vocalists/song stylists. her name is roberta gamberini. she's well known in italy (her home) and just getting to america. if you love the standards, sung REALLY WELL, give her a listen.

All dog lovers must read "Marley & Me" by John Grogan.

Sue

Re: Ah, how we never forget our first loves. In the world of Music, I guess you could say my first musical 'O' was "West Side Story". When it came out in the very early 60's, my father took me to see it, and we had the reel-to reel at home. That I love such a variety of music and appreciate depth and layers of musical composition, and play several instruments, I owe it ALL to Leonard Bernstein. It is to him more than any other contemporary famous/influential musician that I wish I could say, simply, "Thank you." If you all haven't sat down lately and listened, really listened, to that soundtrack, go for it! Pure genious.

My favorite instrument, however, is voice. My earliest biggest influence was growing up to the Mammas and Pappas because of their beatiful harmonies -was truly sad the day Cass died.

There is only one Ella, one Nat King Cole, and also love the Mills Brothers. And I love, love, love, Nina Simone. Am really enjoying this thread.......

Re: Re: book, movie, music suggestions!!

agreed on everything, amy! that includes your remarks about there being only ONE ella, nat, sarah, carmen, nina and co...they were here once and we're so gifted by their presence and immortality thanks to recordings left behind - that's that. there is no one that comes close REALLY. let's face it, ella made "a tisket, a tasket" a hit! now that's brilliance that's rare to hear.

I also have to wonder if they came along in the music industry environment of today if they'd be noticed, frankly. would ella, sarah, nina and carmen get signed to a record deal or not fit the commercial model well enough to be "sold?"

I am reminded of the story about chick webb's comments when ella was first brought before him for an audition (she subsequently toured with him for years and some credit his great success to her contributions). chick looked at her and (reportedly) said "get that ugly thing off my bandstand." the rest, as they say, is history.

since you also bring up the magnificent mamas and the papas (also an influence of mine) I am reminded of one my proudest moments thinking on my feet. I got a call one day from a music mogul in NYC who saw a video demo I'd put out. he was impressed enough with what he saw that he called to speak with me in person. after a long list of accolades he announced that if he could get me to "lose about 65 lbs he could make me the next streisand" to which I replied "perhaps you think so. on the other hand, if I gain 65 lbs maybe I could be the next mama cass and that space is available." not to compare myself beyond my intended point, mind you. I am only suede, the one and only, as the thread above continues.

if you have not seen the nina simone DVD "live at ronnie scott's" go find it! it's smoky in the filming, not high tech (which I think makes it even better), of a live gig in a small, famous jazz club in london and it is BRILLIANT, as was she!

leonard bernstein...sigh. agreed, again. I saw a performance of his "mass" at royal albert hall several years back and the experience of it will be with me forever.

in closing, when asked which of the instruments I play is my favorite, my response is always "my voice" to which I often get quizzical looks. I absolutely approach my singing as if playing my voice. so, I hear you sister!

thanks for the great post!

Re: Favorite Instrument

My dear Suede, if your voice is your favorite instrument (as it certainly is to all your Diva-Devotees, including moi), then pray tell, what instrument comes in second? I know what the answer is for all of us Diva-Devotees: "Whichever instrument the Diva is playing when she is not singing!" My favorite instrument whenever the Diva is not in the house will always be the piano from which all other music flows.

Hi Suede,
Fads come and go, even music and film that we enjoy often has a finite life cycle. But what is it about those movies and musicians we fall in love with early in life? It's as though they become ingrained in our DNA.
and what an unexpected treat to make such a music/movie connection with someone who doesn't seem like such a stranger anymore...
We are going to your late show on Sat. I hope there will be an oppurtunity for us to meet you. And by the way, I already put your Nina recommendation on top of my netflix list (displacing my son's next pick, i'm afraid...Oh well, you're the Diva in your world and I'm the Diva in mine! :)

Aaaahhhh....to share and delve into artistic pleasures!!

Simply stated/recommended:

To read or not to read....

1- Animals in Translation (Temple Grandin)
2- Reason For Hope (Jane Goodall)
3- Elegy For Iris (John Bayley)
4- Tipping the Velvet (Sarah Waters)

MOVIES:

1- Flight 93
2- An Inconvenient Truth
3- Who Killed The Electric Car
4- The World's Fastest Indian
5- The Devil Wears Prada
6- Little Miss Sunshine
7- Sherrybaby

MUSIC:

1- Guilty Pleasures
....Streisand, OF COURSE!!

2- SUEDE....any recording, at any venue, or on any DVD!!!!

Thanks for SHARING everyone,
TR

loved the book "tipping the velvet!" the movie is also done REALLY well! I like all of sarah waters' work, actually. I met her briefly when we both "worked" an olivia cruise together. she's wonderful, warm, charming and very interesting to chat with. I do not know "reason for hope" but am a fan of jane goodall. not familiar with the others - yea!

movies: "an inconvenient truth" is on my list. enjoyed "devil..." as well. seeing "hollywoodland" tonight. I'll report back.

as for the suede review....blush, blush...
thanks!

I saw Hollyland last Saturday and really enjoyed it. The ending supplied lots of discussion with my partner. I laughed so hard in Sunshine Girl. The ending just brought the house down. My sister saw it and said at the end everyone clapped. They did the same when I saw it.
My all time fav actress is and was Katherine Hepburn. Could that lady act!!!! She said that before each live performance, she'd get nervous. So whenever I have to do something that kinda scares me, I think of that comment she made. If the grand lady could get nervous, so can I. I also loved Susan Hayward. Did she play in I Want to Live? or was that Lana Turner? Now that was a movie!!!!!!
Lynne (Only 4 days til the Tin Angel!!!!!)

OMG, Lynne...Can't believe you mentioned Susan Hayward. She was my very first favorite actress back when I was a kid. She won best actress for 'I Want to Live'. I've been meaning to post that title ALL week and kept forgetting. Thank You! When I graduated High School, my parents threw a big party at our house, their first graduate. Must have been 75 people there and "I Want to Live" was on TV that evening. Now back in 1974, there was no VHS or cable and there were very few channels for that matter...and you would have to wait for ever for something to come on. I kept sneaking into my bedroom to watch the movie, and our guests kept looking for me! How could I resist? I couldn't.... How about some Susan Hayward trivia... from another movie i mentioned earlier in the week, when she says (like the tough broad she was) something like, "The problem with Nealy O'Harra is she never learned how to roll with the punches and in this business, they come Left,Right, and Below the Belt" Name that movie...

Loved Kate Hepburn in 'guess who's coming to dinner.' Loved Portier and Tracey, too. He died shortly after making that movie and KH, was never able to watch it...never. Great movie

PS Four days until the Tin Angel....

Simply stated/recommended PART 2:

TELEVISION:
1- The Ellen Degeneres Show (always a day brightener)

Aaaaahhhh....to read, or what to read next--that is the question:

1- Shakespeare (such depth, cleverness and wit!)
2- May Sarton (Plant Dreaming Deep, Among the Usual Days)

MOVIES:

1- Portrait of a Marriage (also a GREAT read)
2- Fingersmith (another CLEVER and SEDUCTIVE novel by Sarah Waters, as well)
3- Friends with Money
4- The Illusionist
5- Quinceanera

MUSIC:
1- SUEDE'S "up and coming" CD....YEAH! We can't wait!!

CHEERS, everyone-
TR

amy -- "valley of the dolls." what do I win? that movie has some of my all time favorite lines...

hepburn? kate OR audrey - words fail me.
how about deborah kerr -- what's this from -"if you can paint, I can walk"? how about ingrid bergman? bacall? portier and tracy -sigh. and I must admit anything with cary grant has me hooked.

just saw "hollywoodland" and loved it. done VERY well in all aspects, I thought. and how about that diane lane? yow. adrian brody was great, I thought.

"the illusionist" is next on my bill. but I REALLY can't wait for "happy feet" to come out in november!

lovin' this thread. thanks for playing!

4 days 'til philly.....what to wear?????

After reaching into the crevices & convolutions of cinematic memories, two movies not yet mentioned here remain indelibly encoded:

1. Desert Hearts (1985) - what a classic and classy film that begs the question of what happened once they reached the next train stop! Patsy Cline’s music was absolutely perfect for the storyline. Where was the sequel?

2. Chocolat (2000) - a must see for all chocoholics! Loved the performances of Juliette Binoche & Judi Dench. Of course, Judi Dench could turn reading a grocery list into an art form & capture the attention of any audience! Stock up on your favorite chocolates before you watch this one!

I, too, have always been a Susan Hayward fan. As I recall, her cause of death was actually a brain tumor, similar to the character she once played. I still find myself watching any movie she is in on TV.

Suede: Good Girl! I never doubted you for a minute. You win my esteem and admiration...and that ain't exactly chopped liver!!

Why Mint Julep how could I forget Judi Dench. You're right, she could read anything and be fantastic. I love her in "Time Goes By " on PBS. I could watch the episodes (spelling?) over and over (which I must confess I have done and will still do). Did you see her in "Mrs. Henderson"? That was a great movie. My partner and I went to NYC to see her in a play. It was so exciting to see her in person. Thanks for mentioning her. On a scale of 1 to 10, the Dame (Dame Judi) is a 100. I like Maggie Smith also.She and Judi Dench were in a great movie not long ago and I can't remember the title, but it was another great one.
Saturday night at the Tin Angel is almost here!!!!!!!!!!!
Lynne

Lynne,

Maggie & Judi were in the aforementioned and wonderful movie, "Ladies in Lavender", which truly showcased the talents of these two marvelous women. After seeing it, I could not think of any other actresses who could have carried the script & kept an audience engaged in the story as elegantly & flawlessly as Maggie & Judi. Whenever I watch Dame Judi (and yes, I saw "Mrs. Henderson Presents"), I always say to myself: "Self, now THAT is what growing older gracefully is all about. No botox, no lipo, no Loreal to cover the gray....just style & class!"

Hi, Lynne and Mint Julep!

I, too, agree both Maggie Smith (superb in one of my FAVORITE classics, "The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie") and Dame Judi Dench were wonderful in "Ladies in Lavender". In Dec. of '05, I attended a SAG premier screening of "Mrs. Henderson Presents" and had the honor/privilege of sharing in heartwarming and
engrossing conversation with Judi. (She's charming and sincere!) To screen the movie, while she sat across from me viewing HER film, was sheer delight....not to mention surrreal. The evening will certainianly be
"one of those MOMENTS" I shall forever cherish.

Another GEM of a film, starring two of my FAVORITE legendary actresses, Lillian Gish and Bette Davis, is The Whales of August. Have either of you (or anyone on the MB) seen it? HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!!!!

Again, THANKS for sharing, everyone,
TR

love judi dench, maggie smith - all movies mentioned and loved "whales of august."

no one has answered the triva question I posed. in which film did deborah kerr say "if you can paint, I can walk." do NOT tell me I have stumped THIS movie loving group!

who KNEW this thread would be so popular? what fun!

3 days to philly!!!!!!

Would that be "Affair to Remember"?

This thread is fabulous! I'm even looking forward to a recently ordered cd, after seeing Diva's recommendation about Roberta Gambarini... "Easy to Love".

Keep the reviews flowing... so much to read, see, hear~ Bravo!

Suede,

Well, well, well...."stumped", am I! However, I look forward to the "final answer". AND, did Deborah Kerr "walk"?.... Where to?

Love, love, love this THREAD, as well. A fabulous idea, Suede, yet I'm NOT surprised!!

This is fun, ay?!-
TR

Goodmorning Suede,

The answer to your trivia question is 'an affair to remember' (and aren't they all!).

how about this one; What 'x' rated movie won 'best picture'- and by the way, i loved this one too. I'm definately partial to drama with an edge.

i, too, love judi dench - must see 'mrs. brown'. another really BIG favorite of mine is 'klute' and speaking of jane fonda, also loved 'coming home' and speaking of vietnam-era movies, 'deer hunter' is great.

am enjoying this thread so very much. not being one to take things for granted, I really appreaciate our connection and the oppurtunity to share my passion for the arts. Thank you, thank you, thank you

Hi, ML!

I think it is "An Affair to Remember"! AND she "walked"
into his heart/life FOREVER!

Well....
TR

TR,

As the saying goes on "Family Feud"..."Good Answer" to the Kerr walking question!

Now, I have a trivia question: What was Martha Mitchell's original title of "Gone With The Wind" and why was it changed to GWTW?

This is an easy one for all those Steel Magnolias out there...even honorary ones!

I think it was 'tomorrow is another day' but I don't have any idea why she changed it...

HERE'S A CHALLANGE: If you could put a new title to 'Gone with the Wind' today, what would it be????

Must be creative, silly, provacative, or daring! Or any combination thereof......

WOW, Amy! Go to the head of the class!

Mitchell had actually thrown her manuscript in the trash, and although I don't recall at the moment why it was eventually retrieved and finally submitted to a publisher, it was the publishing house that actually changed the title. The year GWTW was to hit the bookstores, there were several hundred novels out with titles that began with the word "Tomorrow" and the publisher wanted it to stand out from all the other books. There is a single sentence in the text that refers to the South's way of life as "gone with the wind."

The movie premiered at Lowes Theater on Peachtree Street in downtown Atlanta. At a later date in time, in a ironic twist of fate, Margaret Mitchell was hit by a vehicle while crossing Peachtree Street and died from traumatic brain injuries.

Now a for little more trivia: When Rhett Butler packed up and made his dramatic "Frankly, my dear, I don't give a d--n" farewell to Scarlett, where was he going?

well, VERY close, ML....it's actually "AN Affair to Remember." but, I say we have a winnah, as we say here on cape cawd.

HA!!! "tomorrow is another day!"

hm. guess I should read ALL the posts before answering like miss smarty pants.

as for the new title for GWTW -- trusty road mgr/assistant bea and i will discuss on our drive to philly tomorrow and report back.

Disneyworld??

Mint Julep, Me going to the head of the class? Now that's a first!

Suede, "But you Are, Suede, you Are a miss smarty pants" paraphrased, liberally, from What film????

Sorry, I became confused with my last posting and by mistake started a new "subject", which I didn't mean to do. I guess I am tired!!!!! Hmmmm.....what DVD could I watch that has a great singer in it whom I should be hearing live on Saturday night that would help me relax??????????
Lynne

please. "whatever happened to baby jane" - 1962, I believe? fabulous film -- eek.

next?

here's one for you:
"one man pilfering for firewood is pathetic. 5000 of them could destroy a city."

Lynne, you don't have to apologize! Hope you have a restful evening. Which show are you seeing on Sat.? We're eating at Serranos and then the second show.

Suede, Baby Jane - right you are. Clever Girl. As far as your quote, I don't have a clue I am humbled.... Do you remember a movie called, "let no man write my epitaph"? Was with shelly winters, whom i've loved since i was a kid, burl ives, ella fitzgerald? About bar flies and heroin addicts - i remember watching it on the 4:30 movie with my mother nearly 40 years ago.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm, Lynne....

Now, let me THINK..... perhaps Suede's DVD, Live at Sculler's would be the perfect "tonic"!!

Have a FABULOUS time in Philly (ALL who get to go.... YEAH, I'm a tad jealous!), in support of OUR/THEE, "one and only" SUEDE!!!!

Carry on....
TR

Re: "One man pilfering for wood".....

Answer: From "Dr. Zhivago" when a Russian army general (Zhivago's brother?) caught him scrounging for firewood.

"...one man desperate for a bit of fuel is pathetic; five million people desperate for a bit of fuel will destroy a city."

What a great quote from one of my favorite movies and soundtracks (Lara's Theme) of all time. Thanks for shaking up my gray matter a bit. Now I have to find another rainy afternoon to kick back and watch the entire movie again.

Amy,
We'll be eating there at 8:00 and seeing the 9:30 show. Hope to met you. Perhaps I should wear a rose on my ear??????????
Lynne

Has anyone seen "Songcatcher"? It's fascinating and the music is very true...far removed from the Diva's own fabulous sound, but enchanting nonetheless. The plot involves an out-of-work schoolteacher who travels to the Appalachian mountains and discovers old Irish ballads that have been handed down through the generations and preserved intact by the total seclusion of the people living in Appalachia. She sets out to 'collect' the songs.
There's a similar project currently in progress whose aim is to preserve lullabies of all languages and cultures from around the world. It's a fascinating project; if you want to read about it the link is http://www.thelullabyproject.org
Suede, sorry Cyndi and I are going to miss you at the Tin Angel! Knock 'em dead!

good idea, Lynne. how about two!! Seriously though, I hope we'll spot each other. they say it's a cozy place which means small. No roses for me, I'm afraid -but I'm short (5'), with short dark hair - Our reservation is alittle earlier, for 7:30 - that's because i eat slow and my husband eats a lot. hehe Or maybe it's the other way around.!?! we were so excited about seeing Suede for the first time, but participating on this message board all week has been an unexpected pleasure and will make tomorrow all the more enjoyable for me...

VERY impressive, MJ!!!! wow.....
however, I was certain I had the quote verbatim, hm. I was hooked by it the first time I saw the movie in, what, 8th grade? thanks for the clarification. I'm very impressed that you knew that one. I think it's pretty obscure. I should have known....impressed but not really surprised.

sounds like a great one to know about - thanks!

NEWBIES????????????????
you're seeing moi for the FIRST time live??????
what to wear?! what to wear?!?!?!?!?
oh boy, oh boy....
you and your lovely husband rest up, dear.
be sure you guys don't eat too much so it slows you down before the show.
we have a LOT of fun at this club and anything can happen.
I'm just sayin'
bea and I are safely nestled in our hotel rooms in philly - janice arrives tomorrow and we'll see you in a matter of hours!
any particular song requests? I'll take it up with the band.

Hi, Linda!

WOW....I cannot believe someone out there has had the "mutual" pleasure of seeing "SONGCATCHER"!! (It wasn't out long in "indie" circulation. I love that film and own the DVD. (It's great for several references
depicting Appalachian song/culture.) Plus, the film stars one of my favorite British actresses, Janet McTeer, who blew me away with her performance in a British favorite, "PORTRAIT OF A MARRIAGE", chronicling the relationship between Vita Sackville-West and Virginia Woolf. Cheers to the many perks of the "movie going experience"-YEAH!

AND, to quote one of Suede's songs, "Love me like they do in the movies...."

Ciao, for now,
TR

WHOOPS.... I stand corrected!!

"PORTRAIT OF A MARRIAGE" chronicles the relationship between Vita Sackville-West and Violet (Keppel) Trefusis, NOT Virginia Woolf. However, there ARE references to Virginia in the movie/book. "VITA AND VIRGINIA" is the story about the relationship between Vita Sackville-West and Virginia Woolf....WHEW!! Got that, everyone?!?!

Excuse the faux pas,
TR

Thanks, TR, for the recommendation! I've just put "Portrait of a Marriage" at the top of my Netflix list. Janet McTeer doesn't seem to have much out there, so this will be a treat!

Song suggestions? 'Maybe This Time' has been in my head lately. Yesterday, I listened to CD of older Phoebe Snow material and, as always, blew me away.

That being said, Surprise me...

1 2