Return to Website

HaT Forum

A forum to discuss HaT products, ETS, uniformology, modeling, painting, and other essentials associated with HaT products.

HaT Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
What's Next In HaT's SYW Figures?

While I was still basking in the afterglow of HaT's announcement that we will soon have SYW Austrian Infantry in MAC Sets (HUZZAH!) in our grubby mitts, I was wondering what would be the next SYW subject to be released?

Prussian Artillery would seem to be a good bet, since photos of them have been around for a while. I would like to see artillery ranging from 3 pounder "Battalion" guns, up to 12 pounder "Brummers", with their other field guns and howitzers in between. (Would Fortress guns of even heavier caliber be too much to ask for?!) Of course, limbers, caissons, horse teams, and drivers would also be needed. (Not to mention Officers, both mounted and on foot, to direct the battery's actions!) Did Prussia rely upon civilian drivers during this era? Or did they have military drivers?

It would be unfair then, to not have Austrian Artillery, with all of their necessary equipment, to return the bombardment and pepper the opposing infantry line, but then what?! Cavalry for both sides? Heavy or Light? Light Infantry skirmishers? (Grenzers, and Croats, and Frei Korps! Oh My!)

Or should HaT branch out to cover the other Major Powers of the time? The Russians, the French, and the British would all be very tempting! What do you guys think?

Re: What's Next In HaT's SYW Figures?

My personal preference would be to see the Prussians and Austrians effectively complete before diverting attention elsewhere. In part, the reasoning for this is that the Prussians and Austrians provided the model for many other nations to imitate.

With this as a premise and with an eye to the Prussian masters previously shown (artillery and horse) I'd like to see Austrian cuirassiers, grenzers and hussars, in that order before anything else. The Revell Dragoons and Artillery will suffice for the time being but it's a pain to convert Napoleonic hussars and grenzers due to the changes in the uniforms over half a century. (Italeri French Hussars' uniform and horse furniture is close enough except for the headgear. The ESCI/Italeri British Light Dragoon/Hussar headgear is close but the trousers and simple horse furniture are not. The old Airfix British Hussars are actually the closest but their horses are a pain and the scale is off.)

It would make sense to finish the Prussian artillery first, since the masters are already there and there's no decent mid-18th century artillery around other than Revell's Austrians which are quite rare these days.

After that, what I'd like to see is some Hungarian infantry and Grenzer, and maybe some Prussian Jäger (also Freikorps, but that's probably asking for too much).

Converting cavalry is terribly time consuming (but not impossible), so some good dragoons and cuirassiers would be very welcome. Bosniaks would be nice as well, but I'm not sure how popular they'd be.
Hussars in mirlitons are somewhat easier to convert in comparison, so I'd consider them a somewhat lower priority.

I'd also love to see some Russians and French, though I'm not sure whether I'd prioritise that before or after the cavalry.

After the MAC format Austrian Infantry the Prussian Artillery must be already to go. Then these two armies could be filled out. Hungarian Hussars would be nice with their German
Uniformed Musicians, that would save me from having to find substitutes (so far the Mounted Officer from the Airfix George Washingtons Army has been used in two conversions. Then I suppose the Light types such as Grenadiers could be good.

Best regards,

Malcolm

I have just read my own message and seen that the auto correct changed my suggestion for Grenzer to Grenadier. I really should have reread my own post.

Best regards,

Malcolm

Hi Malcolm,

Grenadiers, Grenzers, Hussars, Jagers...It doesn't make much difference to me, since I want them all....eventually! I'm so starved for decent looking 18th Century figures in plastic, that as long as their wearing a tricorne, mitre, bearskin, mirlton, or busby....I don't care! Even a millimeter or two (plus or minus) in height is no big deal to me. When viewed from three or four feet away on the wargaming tabletop, the eye is tricked into seeing the whole spectacle, and any mistakes disappear.

Your original post may not have been that far off either. I understand that Grenadier Companies were routinely used as skirmishers in the SYW.

All The Best,

Martin