Return to Website

HaT Forum

A forum to discuss HaT products, ETS, uniformology, modeling, painting, and other essentials associated with HaT products.

HaT Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: What is the ideal size for the Prussian Landwehr?

The Airfix Prussian Landwehr are HO/OO or 1/87, so don't try to match them!! Ideally I would like the figures to be a touch smaller than the HaT Prussian line so that they can stand alongside them (and be officered by the Hat Prussian Line Command - some Landwehr officers wore regular uniforms), but also be more compatible with the Prussian Reserve Infantry and Volunteer Jagers than the larger HaT Prussian Line figures.

Dear Steve W.

This is a wise note: the size that you are proposing would make the Landwehr also compatible with the still valid Revell Prussian infantry set.

Ciao. Giovanni.

I now disagree with Giovanni sorry Giovanni, I would like the landwehr the same as the Hat Prussian infantry measured from foot to eye the different headgear caps and shako will make the landwehr seem shorter but will blend in perfectly with the Hat Prussian infantry, after all the landwehr were line infantry in a cheap uniform.

Steve W
The Airfix Prussian Landwehr are HO/OO or 1/87, so don't try to match them!! Ideally I would like the figures to be a touch smaller than the HaT Prussian line so that they can stand alongside them (and be officered by the Hat Prussian Line Command - some Landwehr officers wore regular uniforms), but also be more compatible with the Prussian Reserve Infantry and Volunteer Jagers than the larger HaT Prussian Line figures.

Actually Airfix HO/OO are 1/76, reflecting the model railroad scales at the time. I have true HO(American) model trains, which are true 1/87; figures in this scale are noticeably smaller than Airfix, Fujimi, or the former Matchbox.

Y'see, back in the late 1930s, when HO was first introduced, British makers couldn't produce motors small enough to fit 1/87 locomotive bodies. So they made their models larger, naming it 00, but using the same size track as HO. Thus many early Airfix figures are smaller, like the French Cuirassiers, Guard Grenadiers, original Germans and Afrika Korps, and the like. As time went by, and 1/72 gained popularity, new figures were designed to the larger scale, and some of the older, smaller ones redesigned. This process was incomplete back when Airfix first went bankrupt and started changing hands, which is why those classic Napoleonic figures remain mixed in size, the ACW are both smaller and simpler, while the French Foreign Legion are 1/72 with better detail and animation while the Arabs are unchanged.

I have hordes of the Airfix Landwehr. Personally I like them. Reportedly they were sculpted by Ray Lamb, one of figure-making's greats. The detail is excellent, sharp and clear. Typically for all sets at the time, the poses and numbers are odd, so trying to create even-numbered units is tricky. They are unusual in that all the dismounted command figures needed can be assembled once several box's worth of figures are sorted out save for mounted Colonels.

Now personally I don't mind mixing 1/76 and 1/72 figures if kept separate within their units, or for irregulars like Confederates, Militia, or guerillas. For regular troops my officers are separate figures standing apart from the men, so if HaT were to make separate Command sets, I can use them with my Airfix-based figures. If height is a problem it's easy to thicken the bases with a layer of cardboard.

Bill

by size of set I assume you mean the size of the sprue, number of figures on it, etc, rather than the actual size of the figures.

If the actual size of figures is what you're asking Then make them a match for the HaT Prussian infantry, the best Prussian infantry on the market, measured from base to eye. Don't worry about what other companies have done. I already have as many of the old Revel infantry and Airfix/HaT Landwehr as I want and these two are a decent match for each other. What I want now are excellent HaT Prussian Landwehr that are a good match for the excellent HaT Prussian Infantry.

As to size of sprue, number of figures, etc: similar to the three Prussian infantry sets would be fine. Or the sprues you showed us on the crowd funding page would also be OK, the only issue I had with them was dividing the command figures between the two sets. These are BIG sets though so people might buy fewer boxes. On the other hand if the sets were smaller I would expect that the cost would be correspondingly lower. With shipping costs to Australia and exchange rates some care needs to be taken that crowd funded sets are not too expensive compared to off the shelf products. The Zulus cost me $33+ per box . I will of course be buying more of the Landwehr. I calculated the crowd funder sets would cost me $24-$23 per box and I think that's OK for these big sets. If the sets were considerably smaller that price would not be so OK.

I think Hat have already decided on the number of figures per sprue as indicated on the Prussian Landwehr Crowdfunding page.

For actual size of the figure I think they should match the current Nap Prussian Infantry, if you make them smaller the muskets, backpacks and other equipment will also be smaller.

I was thinking that HaT had already decided on the size of the figures because the masters have already been made. But yes I suppose these are the 1/32 masters to be scaled down. And yes they absolutely have to be a match with HaT's Prussian infantry nothing else makes sense.

I haven't placed my order yet because I thought that all of these questions HaT is asking about size of the set, how we organise a Landwehr unit, number of figures number of bases, etc, etc, meant that HaT were contemplating making changes to these sets to better reflect our needs. A company that does that gets a thumbs up from me but I suspect it might be too difficult to cater to all of our different needs.

If there were to be any changes I'd need to know what the sets are before deciding what I want. If the sets are to stay the same I'd rather get my order in now before the exchange rate plummets (not sure I believe that will happen, but why take the chance).

I see what you mean Graeme I guess Hat may still fine tune and make changes to what is a new enterprise for them, I just hope there is not going to be to many people waiting to see how things turn out before placing an order as there is a time limit on the project.

I wonder whether Hat could take a preliminary order of what you need that could be decreased or increased according to your needs.

That was the deal with the Zulu crowdfunder Brian, anyone could change their order at any time, so no problem there.

I won't be waiting long. I looked in today to see if there was any development, I'll have a look at the other forums then come back here. And that'll do for me, I'll order the sets as they stand and tell HaT if they make a separate Command set in the near future I'll buy that too.

Brian
I see what you mean Graeme I guess Hat may still fine tune and make changes to what is a new enterprise for them, I just hope there is not going to be to many people waiting to see how things turn out before placing an order as there is a time limit on the project.

I wonder whether Hat could take a preliminary order of what you need that could be decreased or increased according to your needs.

The make up of the sets has been 99% decided at this point. The question for this thread is to decide the physical size of the Landwehr figures and it appears to be the decision of the people for it to match HaT's Prussian Infantry.

Graeme
how we organise a Landwehr unit,

Among other things, this will help us decide the number and type of bonus figures to make.

Thank you. Back to the order page.

Personally I think the new figures should match the existing ones. But beware of scale creep, as happened to metal figures.

As for numbers: Going by the illustration, it appears there are 6 of each pose per box(or is it 12?). To make a full regiment like mine would require 8 boxes.If there are four sprues per box that would make 4 regiments from 8 boxes. Of course, there is the bugaboo of where do we get the officers from, as the illustrations show a hornist and NCO/flagbearer in the Marching box and an officer and drummer in the Action set! Or am I missing something here?

Bill

Bill.

for the marching set I make it 3 of each pose per sprue which equals 12 per box
plus 2 command per sprue = 4 per box.

For the action set it's 2 of each pose per sprue = 8 per box plus the 4 command.

I the bonus figures are command figures that will add to the command count.