Return to Website

HaT Forum

A forum to discuss HaT products, ETS, uniformology, modeling, painting, and other essentials associated with HaT products.

HaT Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
What does your ideal Prussian Landwehr unit look like?

Number of marching? Number of action figures? Numbers of command figures/stands/makeup? Thanks.

Re: What does your ideal Prussian Landwehr unit look like?

Dear Hat,

I adopted Shako II wargame rules; the wargamer is free to use the number of soldiers per battalion that he/she prefers. However, among the various options suggested, I've chosen 16 soldiers per battalion (24 for the Austrians). This is why the figures per box, should be either multiple or submutible of 16.

With regard to the command figures, for the Landwehr battalion would be sufficient a drummer and an officer. The flag bearer strictly speaking shouldn't appear, as these units weren't entitled to have flags. In reality unofficial flags were adopted and it seems that they were tolerated.

I'm in the process of building up Von Bulow's Army Corps, which comprised 4 brigades (each equivalent to a division)In total I have to field 8 Landwehr battalions: half of them will be of the marching type, while the other half in action pose.

I apologise to have been a little bit boring.

Best regards. Giovanni.

32 figures with 4 additional officer/musician/flag bearers. I like my units to all be in the same pose, so I tend to be working on several units of the same type at once.

I think the figure with the pike is an NCO rather than a flag bearer - although when the units were formed many soldiers went into battle with pikes due to a shortage of muskets.

My ideal size is 48 soldiers and only one officer, drummer or flag bearer inside.

Best regards,

Miquel

16 figures would represent a battalion (thus 3 battalions for a regiment).
These 16 would be mounted on figure bases of 4 figures (ie 4 bases per battalion).

The 16 figures would have 14 ORs in a uniform position. That is, all marching or (in the Action poses) all shooting/loading etc. The other 4 figures (1 base) is command, with, ideally, officer, musician, flag-bearer & NCO.

donald

4 figures per base, 16 or 20 figures per battalion, no bigger than that unless it's for something specific.

Either a command stand with command figures or a mix of command and other ranks. Or an additional officer on a separate stand. It's about doing what you can with what's available but the big issue is getting enough officers for the battalions, which is where I thought the crowd funding sprues fell short.

I do have some of the mounted Landwehr officers and I could buy more of these. I could also buy more of the infantry command set. But suffice to say that if you made a separate Landwehr Command set I'd be buying a few. An officer for each battalion would be great and any additional command figures would be a welcome bonus.

I can work with the figures you've shown us. My opinion of marching figures is thawing and I'm happy to buy these but I still prefer action figures.

Equal numbers of standing firing and loading figures, excellent! Might look a little odd when in column but for a defending army or an attacking army deployed in firing line, firing in front loading behind perfect! You can give me figures firing at the enemy anytime.

Love all the advancing figures. I'd be happy to build battalions with just these. Low point in front, high point behind. They'll look good in attack, perfectly fine in a defensive line and pretty good in a column as long as I watch what they're doing with those bayonets.

Or I can put a rank of advancing figures in front with a rank or ranks of marching figures behind. Advancing figures are good multi purpose figs for me.

Marching figures, I can use them in conjunction with advancing figs or on their own in marching columns.

I just need to work out what proportion of action to marching sets I want. And if you'd asked what my ideal start to the New Year would be, doing arithmetic would not have figured largely.

I assume the march mad gamers will be buying the marching set in large numbers, so perhaps those of us who like action figures should think about getting this set to reach it's quota. The action set is fine the way it is, I'm happy to buy it like that or I wouldn't complain if there were more firing and loading (in equal numbers). But that might not be to everyone's taste. My only suggestion for an improvement would be a separate Command set.

HaT-Twitter
Number of marching? Number of action figures? Numbers of command figures/stands/makeup? Thanks.

I organize all my regiments as 1 mounted Colonel, 3 dismounted officers, ensign with flag, drummer, and 48 men in single or complimentary pose; marching, advancing, charging, standing.kneeling shooting, following the practice of Charles Grant's 'The War Game'. This allows breaking into two battalions of 2 officers/24 men, Colonel and drummer with First Battalion. If I'm organizing single battalion-size units, then 4 officers(including mounted Colonel), musician, 24 men.

When organizing larger formations, two regiments equals a brigade; four regiments a division; four divisions a corps. This is as big an army as is likely fits on an average table. The scales can be adjusted: a regiment becomes a brigade, four brigades/regiments a corps, four corps an Army. Cavalry is similarly organized, but basic mounted regiments have four officers and 28 men. Artillery is attached at a ratio of one gun and limber per regiment.

Bill

Dear HAT

May I express my thoughts regarding the proposed Landwehr sets.

ACTION SET

In reference to the 4 advancing figures, referring to the recent line drawings provided for the figure configuration per sprue.
Could it be possible for you to provide the following composition:

Advancing figures:

1st figure (porte high)...X4
2nd figure (porte high)..X2
3rd figure (porte low)....X1
4th figure (porte low)....X1

OR

1st figure (porte high)...X3
2nd figure (porte high)..X3
3rd figure (porte low)....X1
4th figure (porte low)....X1

The reason for having more 'porte high' figures is to enable to fit figures appropriately behind the first line of porte low figures. Hence building an advancing unit more effectively.
This will still provide 8 advancing figures per sprue, together with 6 other figures recommended by HAT - 2xFiring, 2xReloading, 2xCommand (14 figures/sprue total).
I feel the proportion of porte high figures should be greater than that compared to porte low - this in turn may minimise figure wastage.
My above recommendation would enable to provide a good sized advancing unit to be created within just a single figure box (of 4 sprues).
Ideally I would prefer the above requested configuration rather than the originally proposed 'Noahs configuration' for the Landwehr Action set :-)

COMMAND SET

Although the Landwehr command figures have been integrated within the Marching and Action sets, the flexibility of choice of the MAC format met the requirements of individuals as they desired.
I appreciate that you say there are only 4 figures/to few to make a command set, it may possibly not be cost effective? Though the French Chasseurs Action set has 4 individual poses (8 figures/sprue).
Perhaps the lack of figures is the knock on effect of removing the mounted officer from this set. It is a shame that there could be no separate Landwehr Command set.

MARCH SET

The march set is represented well by marching figures.

SCALE/SIZE

Please make the figures compatible in size with the Late Prussian Infantry Action set.

FUTURE

I would like to see the MAC format utilised in its purity. Dividing figure sets into individual component parts for example Marching set, Action set, Command set is very helpful as it enables customers to have the option to build there armies with the type of figure required.
However what I observe is a derivative of the MAC format. No doubt this pattern will follow the Russian and Austrian sets whereby command figures are integrated within two sets.
Ultimately its your decision and choice HAT on how best it suits your production needs for the development of miniature figure sets. I wish you success in your future projects/endeavours.

Best Regards
Libero

Libero

The reason for having more 'porte high' figures is to enable to fit figures appropriately behind the first line of porte low figures. Hence building an advancing unit more effectively.

Good point. However, what for the ones who have already pledged, what are their thoughts about changing the make up of the sets?

I like the proposed sets as depicted on the crowdfunder page.

Hi HAT

Thankyou for your quick response to my request.
Although I have previously discussed and proposed a similar sprue structure for the Landwehr sets on various posts over the past several years.
(& via email to HAT on Sept 2016 - I'm not sure though whether part 2 of my email was received - technical glitches in the binary world... :-)
I thought I would take this one last opportunity to convey my opinions regarding the sprue composition in particular the 4 advancing figures in the Landwehr Action set. If my recommendation comes to fruition that would be wonderful, if it does not - c'est la vie, unfortunately its just not mean't to be.

Best Regards
Libero

HaT-Twitter
Good point. However, what for the ones who have already pledged, what are their thoughts about changing the make up of the sets?

Well this thread has dropped off the front page now so I assume most of them are unaware the question has been raised.

I'm in two minds on this. With 16 figure battalions the equal numbers work fine for a battalion advancing in line. 8 low porte in front and 8 high porte behind. In column I might have to offset some figures to avoid them bayoneting each other.

With extra high porte figures they might fit together better in column but in line I would be losing some low porte figures at the front and I do like that look.

The Prussians advanced with two battalions in line in front and 4 attack columns behind so it's a bit of a toss up.

I'll live with the set either way but if the number of low Porte figures was to be reduced I'd rather keep the two advancing at low porte (Fig 3) figs and lose the 2 standing at ready (Fig 4). Also, I like the idea of having some figures with stiffeners in their caps but I'm not sure I want to double their number.

Libero

Libero

Libero where have you been? Hat have been Crowdfunding since the 1st of Jan 2017 and the masters were done in 2009, it's a very good idea for a pose but I think a little late in the day, the best idea at this stage might be to go for a Bonus figure or 2, I did suggest this pose which I think is similar to the 'porte high' pose your referring to.

Attacking with blanket roll over shoulder and axe (2nd Fig from right)
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_6Ce9ktngwdQ/TIds-lVcmTI/AAAAAAAAArY/Az3rL4RketA/s1600/knoe02_18.jpg

Sorry Libero,

I just looked at the drawings of Prussian Landwehr and it is obviously that the first two existing figures you're referring to, I thought Porte High was when a soldier advanced with Musket held almost vertically, so your proposal makes sense to me now.

My landwehr will be in units of 32 "figures" each, 4 command, 26 infantrymen, and a mounted officer taking the space of the final "two"

I will be making my units in a 2:1 ratio - marching to attacking - as a nod to the line infantry musketeers:fusiliers ratio

I would hope to make the 4 command figures a foot officer, a musician, a standard bearer (for my non-historical fantasy flags) and an NCO type

I am hoping that the bonus figures will be a higher command group - maybe a general, an aide, and hangers-on. It is the higher command that is always missing from our plastic armies, and the bonus figures might be a realistic way to achieve that

I would hope that the bonus figures are special and useful, not just extra landwehr infantry types. I can get extras already in metal. So here's hoping

Brian
Sorry Libero,

I just looked at the drawings of Prussian Landwehr and it is obviously that the first two existing figures you're referring to, I thought Porte High was when a soldier advanced with Musket held almost vertically, so your proposal makes sense to me now.

Hi Brian

That's okay not to worry.

In regards to Landwehr sets I have discussed sprue structure/composition on various posts over the past several years. This is in reference to what HAT has represented in terms of their Landwehr master sculpts.

Yes, in the above post I was referring to HAT's recent Landwehr line drawings as expressed under the heading ACTION SET. Please note HAT's Advancing Landwehr master sculpts images are arranged differently to their recent line drawings for the 4 advancing Landwehr infantry.

I see there have been lots of interesting posts on the forum.
Unfortunately at this moment in time my visits/contributions/posts to forums have been very limited and for now may remain so for the foreseeable future.
However I will be back..... (& in good form so he says)

Best Regards
Libero

ps Good luck to all with their bonus figure requests.