Surf Da lake...Conversation, chit chat, dialog, debate...

Welcome to the Surf Da Lake forums...this forum is optional...

Surf Da Lake Photo Albums

Surf Da lake...Conversation, chit chat, dialog, debate...
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Rookies

Howdy. A friend of mine and I are looking to start surfing Lake Michigan this year. We're both comfortable in the water, but have never surfed before. We both have boards, and will be getting wetsuits within the next two weeks. We live in Milwaukee. Hoping we can learn from some of the freshwater veterans. Let me know. Thanks.
Adam

Re: Rookies

For starters, follow Burton's NOSALTSURF.COM, the NOAA website's Great Lakes wave forecast page, get a weather radio, and a map of the coastline so you can get out there and explore! Be safe, be smart, have FUN, and good luck! See you in the water, RJM

Thanks, Rusty Joe

Hey Guys, Like Rusty Joe said be very careful and try to surf with other surfers and there are more than a few in Miwaukee. Unfortunitly this next wind and swell is looking like way too much west in it and this side of the lake is looking super small to flat with winds and waves out of the WNW. Also like Rusty Joe said you have to travel sometimes to score good waves. Welcome to the Great Lakes surfing scean and see you out in the water. If you want to start surfing soon I would get a 5/4/3 and some 5 mm gloves and booties because with these strong wwinds the next couple of days out of the WNW the water is going to get a lot cooler. Burton

Thanks. Lots to learn: wind, swells, waves; but I'm totally into it. I appreciate all the advice. It's welcome! If you guys plan on meeting up in the coming weeks, please let us know. It'd be great to meet you.