Nicole Caspari's Anne Frank Website* - Forum

This is a place for you to ask questions, share your thoughts, and meet new friends who share your love for Anne Frank.
Click on "Start a New Topic" to begin a discussion.

*Note: My Anne Frank Website - previously reachable at http://www.annefrank-online.de - and all my other websites have been taken down as of 2003.
If you are an old visitor/friend/acquaintance who stumbled upon this old, abandoned forum while nostalgically surfing the web and would like to get back in touch with me, I'd love to hear from you!
Please read my pinned topic for contact information and/or just post a message (of which I'll get notified via e-mail) somewhere in the forum.

Love,
Nicole (January 8th, 2018)

The Anne Frank portrait in the header graphic was painted by Priscilla Pope and is used with permission.

All about Anne
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
FINALLY

Hi All,

I'm finally writing my trip review some 3 weeks later after returning home from trip. With me switching jobs, having school, playing soccer and my internet not working it's been hard to write my review. I understand to people like Ronald and Nicole this review is old stuff but to anyone who cares or don't here it goes.

I went to the Anne Frank house 3 different times in my 6 days (I wish it could of been longer) in Amsterdam. It seems cliche' now that you're suspose to get there right before the Anne Frank house (which opens at 9) and my hotel which was only a few hundred yards from the Anne Frank house and it could be seen outside my hotel window, and you could hear the Westertoren every 15 mins as well, and with the hotel having the "World War II" look, it felt very much like you were staying in the Secret Annex itself. On 2 of the 3 times I visited the AFH, I went in the early morning and at 8:30 I would sit right outside the AFH and what's very interesting and at the same time very scary was that the AFH would open up EXACTLY when the Westertoren would ring at 9am now wether this is planned, as something symbolic to Anne or just a coincidence I'm not sure. As soon as it would ring 9am 2 or 3 HUGE groups of people would be walking at fast speeds to the AFH and I would beat them everytime, but then I would always have 2 or 3 hordes of people always breathing down my neck and walking in front of me, and I felt like I was being rushed through.Now everyone might wonder why I went through 3 times but I enjoyed myself all 3 times I went through I never felt it was "getting old" to see the different types of people, Japanese, Black, White, from Russia, Scotland, England, United States, Japan, was such a moving experience to see all the people Anne has touched is something not for words. What I would encourage anyone to do is to eat at the cafe at the end of the AFH and there you meet all these people, you feel that all of these people are your friends and I met many interesting people there. That's something you will never forget. In a unique turn of events, on one of the refrigerators at the AFH there is a postcard of Mr T and it might sound funny but I'm assuming Mr T has actually been to the AFH and sent a postcard if himself, cause I seen pictures of Tony Blair, Tom Hanks, and the Queen of England so I'm assuming all these people have been there at one time or another. I'm really sorry to make this review so short and I know this is overused, but the AFH is something you have to see on your own, words cannot describe everything about it, it's worth it just to go on the trip just to see it that's exactly what I did. If anyone has any questions about anything, I would be happy to answer them, either email me or ask me here. I'm sure Ronald could answer them better for you but I will do my best.

Aaron

P.S. I suggest going to the AFH between 4-6pm because I went there my last time between 4-6 and I went through the entire house myself, which was quite amazing unreal for words. They always close to the doors a half hour before the house closes so for example the house closed at 7pm when I was there so 6:30 the doors closed.

Re: FINALLY

Aaron I really like the way you do tell us about your visit to "the house". I can feel the emotions you had to go through. It's a weird idea that next to Anne and her family, busted by the germans, several other thousands did survive the war in this way. Often in really bad circumstance, when you take for example that a lot of the real young girls were raped or abused in an awfull way. Even this did happen, incredible to me, this was a kind of powergame you hardly can understand. But it did destroy a lot of emotions, although they did survive; but the price was so terribly high. And nowaday those "heroes" tell about the good things they have done, with all the risks included, to those childeren. I have met recently one of those women at the presentation of our book"the abandonned hotel", she came specially from Israel to be there. When we did meet her a day later privately ,she couldn't resist telling us about the scars obtained during her hiding. It's a pity ,you didn't have my phonenumber,otherwise I could have axplained much more to you.Ronald

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

Hi All,

I'm finally writing my trip review some 3 weeks later after returning home from trip. With me switching jobs, having school, playing soccer and my internet not working it's been hard to write my review. I understand to people like Ronald and Nicole this review is old stuff but to anyone who cares or don't here it goes.

I went to the Anne Frank house 3 different times in my 6 days (I wish it could of been longer) in Amsterdam. It seems cliche' now that you're suspose to get there right before the Anne Frank house (which opens at 9) and my hotel which was only a few hundred yards from the Anne Frank house and it could be seen outside my hotel window, and you could hear the Westertoren every 15 mins as well, and with the hotel having the "World War II" look, it felt very much like you were staying in the Secret Annex itself. On 2 of the 3 times I visited the AFH, I went in the early morning and at 8:30 I would sit right outside the AFH and what's very interesting and at the same time very scary was that the AFH would open up EXACTLY when the Westertoren would ring at 9am now wether this is planned, as something symbolic to Anne or just a coincidence I'm not sure. As soon as it would ring 9am 2 or 3 HUGE groups of people would be walking at fast speeds to the AFH and I would beat them everytime, but then I would always have 2 or 3 hordes of people always breathing down my neck and walking in front of me, and I felt like I was being rushed through.Now everyone might wonder why I went through 3 times but I enjoyed myself all 3 times I went through I never felt it was "getting old" to see the different types of people, Japanese, Black, White, from Russia, Scotland, England, United States, Japan, was such a moving experience to see all the people Anne has touched is something not for words. What I would encourage anyone to do is to eat at the cafe at the end of the AFH and there you meet all these people, you feel that all of these people are your friends and I met many interesting people there. That's something you will never forget. In a unique turn of events, on one of the refrigerators at the AFH there is a postcard of Mr T and it might sound funny but I'm assuming Mr T has actually been to the AFH and sent a postcard if himself, cause I seen pictures of Tony Blair, Tom Hanks, and the Queen of England so I'm assuming all these people have been there at one time or another. I'm really sorry to make this review so short and I know this is overused, but the AFH is something you have to see on your own, words cannot describe everything about it, it's worth it just to go on the trip just to see it that's exactly what I did. If anyone has any questions about anything, I would be happy to answer them, either email me or ask me here. I'm sure Ronald could answer them better for you but I will do my best.

Aaron

P.S. I suggest going to the AFH between 4-6pm because I went there my last time between 4-6 and I went through the entire house myself, which was quite amazing unreal for words. They always close to the doors a half hour before the house closes so for example the house closed at 7pm when I was there so 6:30 the doors closed.

Re: Re: FINALLY

Sorry for some of the typos and bad grammar everyone. I typed that up too fast and didn't realize.

Replying to:

Aaron I really like the way you do tell us about your visit to "the house". I can feel the emotions you had to go through. It's a weird idea that next to Anne and her family, busted by the germans, several other thousands did survive the war in this way. Often in really bad circumstance, when you take for example that a lot of the real young girls were raped or abused in an awfull way. Even this did happen, incredible to me, this was a kind of powergame you hardly can understand. But it did destroy a lot of emotions, although they did survive; but the price was so terribly high. And nowaday those "heroes" tell about the good things they have done, with all the risks included, to those childeren. I have met recently one of those women at the presentation of our book"the abandonned hotel", she came specially from Israel to be there. When we did meet her a day later privately ,she couldn't resist telling us about the scars obtained during her hiding. It's a pity ,you didn't have my phonenumber,otherwise I could have axplained much more to you.Ronald

Replying to:

Hi All,

Aaron