Nicole Caspari's Anne Frank Website* - Forum

This is a place for you to ask questions, share your thoughts, and meet new friends who share your love for Anne Frank.
Click on "Start a New Topic" to begin a discussion.

*Note: My Anne Frank Website - previously reachable at http://www.annefrank-online.de - and all my other websites have been taken down as of 2003.
If you are an old visitor/friend/acquaintance who stumbled upon this old, abandoned forum while nostalgically surfing the web and would like to get back in touch with me, I'd love to hear from you!
Please read my pinned topic for contact information and/or just post a message (of which I'll get notified via e-mail) somewhere in the forum.

Love,
Nicole (January 8th, 2018)

The Anne Frank portrait in the header graphic was painted by Priscilla Pope and is used with permission.

All about Anne
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Dr. Anne

So what's everyone's favorite piece of advice given by Anne?

Anything that's either helped you, or you've been able to put to good use...

I really like this one from July 6, 1944 (not a direct quote, paraphrased):

If everyone weighed up the rights and wrongs of their day each night before going to sleep, then you'd automatically try to improve yourself at the start of each new day.

Re: Dr. Anne

Oh well, I tried to start a topic

Anyone else got any better ideas???

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

If everyone weighed up the rights and wrongs of their day each night before going to sleep, then you'd automatically try to improve yourself at the start of each new day.

Re: Re: Dr. Anne

Now that you mention it, I never was able to put what I learned from Anne's diary to "good use." To me, it was just an inter-personal thing, as opposed to an intra-personal thing. I took all of Anne's advice as Anne's advice to Anne and used her ideals to shape my understanding of who she was and what life meant to her.

For what it's worth, I'm happy with what I now understand.

Rat.

Replying to:

Replying to:

Re: Re: Re: Dr. Anne

Well, in the last few months of the diary, she was writing with an audience in mind, wasn't she?

Is there anything Anne wrote that particularly resonates with you??? I guess that's basically what I was trying to ask.

Replying to:

Now that you mention it, I never was able to put what I learned from Anne's diary to "good use." To me, it was just an inter-personal thing, as opposed to an intra-personal thing. I took all of Anne's advice as Anne's advice to Anne and used her ideals to shape my understanding of who she was and what life meant to her.

Rat.

Replying to:

Replying to:

Re: Re: Re: Re: Dr. Anne

did she tell you so?

Replying to:

Well, in the last few months of the diary, she was writing with an audience in mind, wasn't she?

Is there anything Anne wrote that particularly resonates with you??? I guess that's basically what I was trying to ask.

Replying to:

Rat.

Replying to:

Replying to:

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Dr. Anne

level isn't getting friendly.

Replying to:

did she tell you so?

Replying to:

Replying to:

Rat.

Replying to:

Replying to:

Sure she did, read the book! She was thinking of publishing her diaries after the war, even rewriting older entries

Replying to:

did she tell you so?

Replying to:

Replying to:

Rat.

Replying to:

Replying to:

Re: Re: Re: Re: Dr. Anne

Well, besides how Anne was familiar with the term "kiss my a$$," I guess...the one part that really aroused the lightbulb in my head was the entry where Anne talks about how Margot took her too seriously and always looked at Anne real closely after Anne said something because she was never sure if Anne was being serious or just acting. It reminds me of how people look at me when I say something like, "Excuse me. Did the store run out of Vahard or is there any in over-stock? I really need it now. My wife's waiting in the car."

No one ever just assumes that I'm kidding.

I can't think of any advice that I've taken from the diary. I really can't. I'm trying, but I can't. Not to demean the diary's message, I just don't think I integrated anything from the diary into my personal philosophy.

Rat.

Replying to:

Replying to:

Rat.

Replying to:

Replying to:

Rat, I agree completely, "the achterhuis" isn't a bible. And Anne isn't a holy person either. Just the well written diary of a child. Nothing more.

Replying to:

Well, besides how Anne was familiar with the term "kiss my a$$," I guess...the one part that really aroused the lightbulb in my head was the entry where Anne talks about how Margot took her too seriously and always looked at Anne real closely after Anne said something because she was never sure if Anne was being serious or just acting. It reminds me of how people look at me when I say something like, "Excuse me. Did the store run out of Vahard or is there any in over-stock? I really need it now. My wife's waiting in the car."

I can't think of any advice that I've taken from the diary. I really can't. I'm trying, but I can't. Not to demean the diary's message, I just don't think I integrated anything from the diary into my personal philosophy.

Rat.

Replying to:

Replying to:

Rat.

Replying to:

Replying to:

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Dr. Anne

Hey, I never said anything about Anne being a holy person. It is possible to learn things or be inspired from books that are not religious.

I was only looking for favorite quotes, OK!

Replying to:

Rat, I agree completely, "the achterhuis" isn't a bible. And Anne isn't a holy person either. Just the well written diary of a child. Nothing more.

Replying to:

Rat.

Replying to:

Replying to:

Rat.

Replying to:

Replying to:

See? I can be sensible.

Replying to:

Replying to:

Rat.

Replying to:

Replying to:

Rat.

Replying to:

Replying to:

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Dr. Anne

Uh-oh, now ya gone and did it...

Replying to:

Hey, I never said anything about Anne being a holy person. It is possible to learn things or be inspired from books that are not religious.

Replying to:

Replying to:

Rat.

Replying to:

Replying to:

Rat.

Replying to:

Replying to:

Yeah, I'm starting to feel like I'm back in college. Oh wait...

Replying to:

Replying to:

did she tell you so?

Replying to:

Replying to:

Rat.

Replying to:

Replying to:

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Dr. Anne

Did what? No, really, I don't understand why people are picking on me here...

Replying to:

Replying to:

Replying to:

Replying to:

Rat.

Replying to:

Replying to:

Rat.

Replying to:

Replying to:

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Last post was me

Crap...OK, that Anonymous was me...just to avoid further confusion here.

Replying to:

Replying to:

Replying to:

Replying to:

Replying to:

Rat.

Replying to:

Replying to:

Rat.

Replying to:

Replying to:

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Last post was me

...and I don't mean THAT Anonymous...just the last post...OK that probably didn't help the confusion any.

Replying to:

Crap...OK, that Anonymous was me...just to avoid further confusion here.

Replying to:

Replying to:

Replying to:

Replying to:

Replying to:

Rat.

Replying to:

Replying to:

Rat.

Replying to:

Replying to:

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Dr. Anne

I'm not really confused.

Rat.

Replying to:

Yeah, I'm starting to feel like I'm back in college. Oh wait...

Replying to:

Replying to:

did she tell you so?

Replying to:

Replying to:

Rat.

Replying to:

Replying to:

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Dr. Anne

I'm being facetious.

Replying to:

Replying to:

Replying to:

Replying to:

Replying to:

Rat.

Replying to:

Replying to:

Rat.

Replying to:

Replying to:

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Dr. Anne

You know, Scott. There is actually something that Anne said that I think about to this day and that had a bit of an impact on my...had an impact on me, I guess. The part where Anne talked about Edith telling Bep to think of how unfortunate others are whenever she's feeling bad, where Anne said that was awful advice, that has stuck with me for years.

That doesn't work for me. It just makes me feel worse.

Rat.

Replying to:

I'm being facetious.

Replying to:

Replying to:

Replying to:

Replying to:

Replying to:

Rat.

Replying to:

Replying to:

Rat.

Replying to:

Replying to:

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Dr. Anne

Yeah, being happy because others are miserable and you aren't isn't exactly good advice...

Replying to:

You know, Scott. There is actually something that Anne said that I think about to this day and that had a bit of an impact on my...had an impact on me, I guess. The part where Anne talked about Edith telling Bep to think of how unfortunate others are whenever she's feeling bad, where Anne said that was awful advice, that has stuck with me for years.

Rat.

Replying to:

I'm being facetious.

Replying to:

Replying to:

Replying to:

Replying to:

Replying to:

Rat.

Replying to:

Replying to:

Rat.

Replying to:

Replying to:

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Dr. Anne

Well, that explains things then...

Replying to:

I'm being facetious.

Replying to:

Replying to:

Replying to:

Replying to:

Replying to:

Rat.

Replying to:

Replying to:

Rat.

Replying to:

Replying to:

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Dr. Anne

No, it isn't, but I still like Mrs. Frank.

Rat.

Replying to:

Yeah, being happy because others are miserable and you aren't isn't exactly good advice...

Replying to:

Rat.

Replying to:

I'm being facetious.

Replying to:

Replying to:

Replying to:

Replying to:

Replying to:

Rat.

Replying to:

Replying to:

Rat.

Replying to:

Replying to: