Nicole Caspari's Anne Frank Website* - Forum

This is a place for you to ask questions, share your thoughts, and meet new friends who share your love for Anne Frank.
Click on "Start a New Topic" to begin a discussion.

*Note: My Anne Frank Website - previously reachable at http://www.annefrank-online.de - and all my other websites have been taken down as of 2003.
If you are an old visitor/friend/acquaintance who stumbled upon this old, abandoned forum while nostalgically surfing the web and would like to get back in touch with me, I'd love to hear from you!
Please read my pinned topic for contact information and/or just post a message (of which I'll get notified via e-mail) somewhere in the forum.

Love,
Nicole (January 8th, 2018)

The Anne Frank portrait in the header graphic was painted by Priscilla Pope and is used with permission.

All about Anne
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
translation

Better take a good english translation, because as Kelly said already it's not that easy to make a simple translation. Dutch is known as a real difficult language, there are many words with the same writing, but with a different meaning , depending to the place in the sentence were they are used. And I know how difficult a foreign language can be.

Re: translation

Why doesn't anyone understand this? A direct translation would make me just as happy as reading books backwards does. If I read books from end to beginning, and find joy in doing so, maybe I'm the kind of person who would also enjoy something as pointless as a direct translation.

Think about it: maybe I'm not playing with a full deck.

Rat.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

Better take a good english translation, because as Kelly said already it's not that easy to make a simple translation. Dutch is known as a real difficult language, there are many words with the same writing, but with a different meaning , depending to the place in the sentence were they are used. And I know how difficult a foreign language can be.

Re: Re: translation

Even reading upside down, one of my favourites.

Replying to:

Why doesn't anyone understand this? A direct translation would make me just as happy as reading books backwards does. If I read books from end to beginning, and find joy in doing so, maybe I'm the kind of person who would also enjoy something as pointless as a direct translation.

Rat.

Replying to:

Re: Re: Re: translation

If you're serious about this Rat (and not just teasing), a translation program would be able to do the same job for you. It just translates things word for word and gives you amazing gibberish!

Replying to:

Replying to:

Rat.

Replying to:

Re: Re: Re: Re: translation

Oops, sorry, that last message was from me.

Replying to:

If you're serious about this Rat (and not just teasing), a translation program would be able to do the same job for you. It just translates things word for word and gives you amazing gibberish!

Replying to:

Replying to:

Rat.

Replying to:

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: translation

ha,die Kelly, lang niets van je gehoord. Eerste oplaag is uitverkocht. Op 4 mei, Dodenherdenking, een lang item over het maken van het boek op Netwerk. -hetverlatenhotel.com-

Replying to:

Replying to:

Replying to:

Replying to:

Rat.

Replying to:

After long and careful deliberation I have made that very conclusion...

Replying to:

Rat.

Replying to:

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: translation

If conversation continues in this vein I may be forced to incorporate Ebonics--THEN where will you be?

Replying to:

ha,die Kelly, lang niets van je gehoord. Eerste oplaag is uitverkocht. Op 4 mei, Dodenherdenking, een lang item over het maken van het boek op Netwerk. -hetverlatenhotel.com-

Replying to:

Replying to:

Replying to:

Replying to:

Rat.

Replying to:

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: translation

Gonna be in a brand new world

Replying to:

If conversation continues in this vein I may be forced to incorporate Ebonics--THEN where will you be?

Replying to:

Replying to:

Replying to:

Replying to:

Replying to:

Rat.

Replying to:

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: translation

Wat leuk! Inderdaad is het goed nieuws!

Lees ik nu het dagboek van Anne, in het Nederlands. Het is nog moeilijk, maar met mijn woordenboek en ook de Engels vertaling, kan ik het wel lezen.

Ik vind het wel leuk dat kan ik eindelijk de dagboek van Anne in de originele taal lezen! Meer dan twintig jaar sinds heb ik het eerste gelezen.

Replying to:

Replying to:

Replying to:

Replying to:

Replying to:

Rat.

Replying to:

I wouldn't worry too much Matt - my written Dutch is so bad that I would be surprised if Ronald can understand my reply! Right Ronald?

Replying to:

Replying to:

Replying to:

Replying to:

Replying to:

Replying to:

Rat.

Replying to:

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: translation

The way we write down our words and the way we pronounce them is often so different, that you have to know the language rather well. A lot of foreigners are just unable to learn the language. But several ones who try hard do succeed completely. A very personal thing we may say. But the bright ones as represented here will learn it.

Replying to:

I wouldn't worry too much Matt - my written Dutch is so bad that I would be surprised if Ronald can understand my reply! Right Ronald?

Replying to:

Replying to:

Replying to:

Replying to:

Replying to:

Replying to:

Rat.

Replying to:

I think we're gonna need a direct translation here...

Replying to:

Lees ik nu het dagboek van Anne, in het Nederlands. Het is nog moeilijk, maar met mijn woordenboek en ook de Engels vertaling, kan ik het wel lezen.

Ik vind het wel leuk dat kan ik eindelijk de dagboek van Anne in de originele taal lezen! Meer dan twintig jaar sinds heb ik het eerste gelezen.

Replying to:

Replying to:

Replying to:

Replying to:

Replying to:

Rat.

Replying to:

The only thing I ever remember how to say in dutch is:

Jij bent gek!

And I think it applies here.

Replying to:

Rat.

Replying to:

Goed zo Kelly, ik ben trots op je. Ga zo door en je leert het gegarandeerd heel goed. Alleen dat accent, troost je een vriendin van mij heeft haar accent haar leven lang gehouden.

Replying to:

Replying to:

Replying to:

Replying to:

Replying to:

Replying to:

Rat.

Replying to:

Re: Re: Re: Re: translation

I'm not teasing, but I'm not being completely serious, either. It's really a gray area of logic I'm inhabiting here.

Rat.

Replying to:

Replying to:

Replying to:

Rat.

Replying to:

Hey, ain' no thang, Dawg, aight?

Replying to:

Replying to:

Replying to:

Replying to:

Replying to:

Replying to:

Rat.

Replying to:

OK, so, what are the odds on me learning Dutch?

Rat.

P.S.-I wasn't kidding about reading books back-to-front. I just wanted to make sure no one thought I was joking around about it. That's how I read books for case studies in school.

Replying to:

Replying to:

Replying to:

Replying to:

Replying to:

Replying to:

Replying to:

Rat.

Replying to:

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: translation

I will love it when you start to communicate in my language.

Replying to:

Rat.

P.S.-I wasn't kidding about reading books back-to-front. I just wanted to make sure no one thought I was joking around about it. That's how I read books for case studies in school.

Replying to:

Replying to:

Replying to:

Replying to:

Replying to:

Replying to:

Replying to:

Rat.

Replying to:

Word, tru dat.

Replying to:

Hey, ain' no thang, Dawg, aight?

Replying to:

Replying to:

Replying to:

Replying to:

Replying to:

Replying to:

Rat.

Replying to:

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: translation

Are ya sure?

Rat.

Replying to:

Replying to:

Rat.

Replying to:

Replying to:

Replying to:

Replying to:

Replying to:

Replying to:

Replying to:

Rat.

Replying to:

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: translation

yes indeed.

Replying to:

Are ya sure?

Rat.

Replying to:

Replying to:

Rat.

Replying to:

Replying to:

Replying to:

Replying to:

Replying to:

Replying to:

Replying to:

Rat.

Replying to:

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: translation

You just want me to understand you when you call me a "dork" in Dutch.

Rat.

Replying to:

yes indeed.

Replying to:

Are ya sure?

Rat.

Replying to:

Replying to:

Rat.

Replying to:

Replying to:

Replying to:

Replying to:

Replying to:

Replying to:

Replying to:

Rat.

Replying to:

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: translation

"dork" is not in the list of words to be found, try to find the dutch word

!

Replying to:

Rat.

Replying to:

yes indeed.

Replying to:

Are ya sure?

Rat.

Replying to:

Replying to:

Rat.

Replying to:

Replying to:

Replying to:

Replying to:

Replying to:

Replying to:

Replying to:

Rat.

Replying to:

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: translation

Probably "doork" or something. "Dooerck". I have no idea- but I'm sure every culture's got an equivalent.

Replying to:

!

Replying to:

Rat.

Replying to:

yes indeed.

Replying to:

Are ya sure?

Rat.

Replying to:

Replying to:

Rat.

Replying to:

Replying to:

Replying to:

Replying to:

Replying to:

Replying to:

Replying to:

Rat.

Replying to:

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: translation

speaking a very particular language, I suppose.

Replying to:

Probably "doork" or something. "Dooerck". I have no idea- but I'm sure every culture's got an equivalent.

Replying to:

!

Replying to:

Rat.

Replying to:

yes indeed.

Replying to:

Are ya sure?

Rat.

Replying to:

Replying to:

Rat.

Replying to:

Replying to:

Replying to:

Replying to:

Replying to:

Replying to:

Replying to:

Rat.

Replying to:

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: translation

"Dork" sounds like it could pass for Dutch just the way it is.

So, Anne Frank and her diary, anyway...

Rat.

Replying to:

Replying to:

Replying to:

!

Replying to:

Rat.

Replying to:

yes indeed.

Replying to:

Are ya sure?

Rat.

Replying to:

Replying to:

Rat.

Replying to:

Replying to:

Replying to:

Replying to:

Replying to:

Replying to:

Replying to:

Rat.

Replying to:

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: translation

You gotta wonder what Anne would think of this craaazy forum

Replying to:

Rat.

Replying to:

Replying to:

Replying to:

!

Replying to:

Rat.

Replying to:

yes indeed.

Replying to:

Are ya sure?

Rat.

Replying to:

Replying to:

Rat.

Replying to:

Replying to:

Replying to:

Replying to:

Replying to:

Replying to:

Replying to:

Rat.

Replying to:

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: translation

Actually, good question--suppose she'd be modest enough to think we're fawning? Hmm, poser.

Replying to:

You gotta wonder what Anne would think of this craaazy forum

Replying to:

Rat.

Replying to:

Replying to:

Replying to:

!

Replying to:

Rat.

Replying to:

yes indeed.

Replying to:

Are ya sure?

Rat.

Replying to:

Replying to:

Rat.

Replying to:

Replying to:

Replying to:

Replying to:

Replying to:

Replying to:

Replying to:

Rat.

Replying to: