Nicole Caspari's Anne Frank Website* - Forum

This is a place for you to ask questions, share your thoughts, and meet new friends who share your love for Anne Frank.
Click on "Start a New Topic" to begin a discussion.

*Note: My Anne Frank Website - previously reachable at http://www.annefrank-online.de - and all my other websites have been taken down as of 2003.
If you are an old visitor/friend/acquaintance who stumbled upon this old, abandoned forum while nostalgically surfing the web and would like to get back in touch with me, I'd love to hear from you!
Please read my pinned topic for contact information and/or just post a message (of which I'll get notified via e-mail) somewhere in the forum.

Love,
Nicole (January 8th, 2018)

The Anne Frank portrait in the header graphic was painted by Priscilla Pope and is used with permission.

All about Anne
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Anne's diary

I've always wondered why there has never been a version of Anne Frank's diary released which is made up of her actual handwritten pages. I think releasing the whole diary this way would be a great idea, maybe with a red checkered cover and everything.

It would certainly add to the released version, and make it more "real". The pages could be accompanied with page by page translations...learn dutch and the story of Anne frank at the same time

Anyone else think this would be a good idea??

Re: Anne's diary...oops

OK, my name didn't show up on that last post, but it was me...just so everyone knows who they're having a conversation with here...

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

I've always wondered why there has never been a version of Anne Frank's diary released which is made up of her actual handwritten pages. I think releasing the whole diary this way would be a great idea, maybe with a red checkered cover and everything.

It would certainly add to the released version, and make it more "real". The pages could be accompanied with page by page translations...learn dutch and the story of Anne frank at the same time

Re: Anne's diary

It's an interesting idea. What I think would be great was if either: 1). I knew Dutch or 2). Someone released an exact translation of the diary. No idiomatic phrases adapted, no sentences re-structured. I'd like to read the diary word-for-word, subject-verb-object sentences. I was recently invigorated by discovering that Anne knew the term "kiss my as*." It felt like an indelible connection had been made between 1940's Anne and 2000's Matty. I thought that was much greater than it probably was.

But that's what I'd like. A direct translation would tickle me pink.

I like your idea, but no publisher would ever bother and the Anne Frank-Fonds would probably have some objection to it. I don't know why. I don't know how it works. What'd be cool is, like, the poems and pictures and short-hand and all that stuff. Maybe there isn't enough of a demand. We have a bit of an interest in Anne Frank that a lot of other people don't. We actually talk about the diary in our free time. It'd be an expensive book, but I'd pay the price.

I'll tell you what: When I release my book, I'll demand that the text is totally in my hand-writing. Have fun finding a military code-breaker who can discern my hand-writing from Napoleon's battle maps.

I bought "The Secret Life of Otto Frank" because I was so shocked to actually see a store near me that carried it. For whatever reason, I'm not interested in who betrayed the Franks, van Pels', and Dr. Pfeffer. The way I see it, no one will ever know for sure, so speculation will amount to nothing. It'll just make me mad because I wish the culprit was known. What else made me mad...nothing of Margot survived the war except for some of her homework. Margot's my favorite. She reminds me of my wife. According to the book, Otto Frank wrote to his mother after finding out that the girls were dead, "There's nothing of Margot's left anymore, only her Latin work..." Makes me mad everytime I read it...and, stupid me, I keep reading it.

Rat.

Replying to:

Re: Re: Anne's diary

Well, there are a few things from Margot...the notes Anne transcribed in her diary and a letter, written in English and sent to a pen-pal in America. Anne wrote one of these as well, actually. The scans were on some website or another.

I agree with you about the word-for-word thing. The definitive edition is actually better in that area, I think. Anne seems alot more "normal" in that translation.

There are drawings by Anne? That would make a cool book. I'd like to see at least some of Anne's writing released eventually.

Replying to:

It's an interesting idea. What I think would be great was if either: 1). I knew Dutch or 2). Someone released an exact translation of the diary. No idiomatic phrases adapted, no sentences re-structured. I'd like to read the diary word-for-word, subject-verb-object sentences. I was recently invigorated by discovering that Anne knew the term "kiss my as*." It felt like an indelible connection had been made between 1940's Anne and 2000's Matty. I thought that was much greater than it probably was.

I like your idea, but no publisher would ever bother and the Anne Frank-Fonds would probably have some objection to it. I don't know why. I don't know how it works. What'd be cool is, like, the poems and pictures and short-hand and all that stuff. Maybe there isn't enough of a demand. We have a bit of an interest in Anne Frank that a lot of other people don't. We actually talk about the diary in our free time. It'd be an expensive book, but I'd pay the price.

I'll tell you what: When I release my book, I'll demand that the text is totally in my hand-writing. Have fun finding a military code-breaker who can discern my hand-writing from Napoleon's battle maps.

I bought "The Secret Life of Otto Frank" because I was so shocked to actually see a store near me that carried it. For whatever reason, I'm not interested in who betrayed the Franks, van Pels', and Dr. Pfeffer. The way I see it, no one will ever know for sure, so speculation will amount to nothing. It'll just make me mad because I wish the culprit was known. What else made me mad...nothing of Margot survived the war except for some of her homework. Margot's my favorite. She reminds me of my wife. According to the book, Otto Frank wrote to his mother after finding out that the girls were dead, "There's nothing of Margot's left anymore, only her Latin work..." Makes me mad everytime I read it...and, stupid me, I keep reading it.

Rat.

Replying to:

Re: Anne's diary

Frankly, I think it'd be kind of a pain in the ass--but whatever does it for you.

Replying to:

Easy Rat- just remember to keep breathing...

Replying to:

Rat.

Replying to:

Re: Re: Re: Anne's diary

Well, yeah. Besides her Latin work, there are notebooks of French work, crossword puzzles, notes she wrote to Anne, photographs, etc. Those remnants of Margot are usually only used as contributions to Anne's story. They're presented as supporting evidence of what Anne said about her: she practiced Latin, took French, actually had fun doing crossword puzzles, and wore glasses.

About those letters to the Iowa penpals...I actually have a saved copy of one of Anne's written pages to the younger girl. I saved it because it's all in English and can therefore actually be read by me. I think I saw an excerpt from one of Margot's letters, but I never saw a picture of one. Supposedly, she wrote her letters out in English by herself, whereas Otto Frank helped Anne with hers. That would make Margot's a bit more interesting in that you'd get a feel for how well she spoke English and a bit of her writing style.

Alas, it wasn't meant to be.

Replying to:

Well, there are a few things from Margot...the notes Anne transcribed in her diary and a letter, written in English and sent to a pen-pal in America. Anne wrote one of these as well, actually. The scans were on some website or another.

I agree with you about the word-for-word thing. The definitive edition is actually better in that area, I think. Anne seems alot more "normal" in that translation.

There are drawings by Anne? That would make a cool book. I'd like to see at least some of Anne's writing released eventually.

Replying to:

Rat.

Replying to:

Re: Re: Re: Re: Anne's diary

Hey, would you be able to e-mail me that letter? I do have saved images of Margot's and Anne's English letters, but the scans are pretty bad.

I found the web site I mentioned...you can look there for the text of Margot's letter, and the low-res scans:

http://traces.org/anne.htm

Replying to:

Well, yeah. Besides her Latin work, there are notebooks of French work, crossword puzzles, notes she wrote to Anne, photographs, etc. Those remnants of Margot are usually only used as contributions to Anne's story. They're presented as supporting evidence of what Anne said about her: she practiced Latin, took French, actually had fun doing crossword puzzles, and wore glasses.

About those letters to the Iowa penpals...I actually have a saved copy of one of Anne's written pages to the younger girl. I saved it because it's all in English and can therefore actually be read by me. I think I saw an excerpt from one of Margot's letters, but I never saw a picture of one. Supposedly, she wrote her letters out in English by herself, whereas Otto Frank helped Anne with hers. That would make Margot's a bit more interesting in that you'd get a feel for how well she spoke English and a bit of her writing style.

Replying to:

Replying to:

Rat.

Replying to:

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Anne's diary

I actually found that site last night when I decided to give the search "Margot Frank penpal" a try. Yeah, the scans were pretty bad. The picture I have is the same one of Anne's that's shown on that site. I don't have a different one of Margot's letter and it can't be read at all. The site provides the content of the letters, though.

Rat.

Replying to:

Hey, would you be able to e-mail me that letter? I do have saved images of Margot's and Anne's English letters, but the scans are pretty bad.

I found the web site I mentioned...you can look there for the text of Margot's letter, and the low-res scans:

http://traces.org/anne.htm

Replying to:

Replying to:

Replying to:

Rat.

Replying to:

To be honest, I think a word-for-word translation of the diary would be a bit difficult to read in English - Dutch sentences aren't subject-verb-object, so you would get something like this from Sat. 1 May 1942)

"Tonight have I mother's hair washed ... "; or (from Tuesday 15 Feb. 1944): "Tuesday had of I mother heard that Pfeffer the following told had". Which doesn't really make a hell of a lot of sense, does it?

Seriously, I know I've said it before, but if you are really keen to read the Diary in the original Dutch you should just learn the language! It honestly isn't THAT hard; like all things that are worthwhile, though, it will take a lot of work.

Replying to:

Rat.

Replying to:

Re: Re: Re: Anne's diary

What if you're dumb like I am and you can't learn another language?

I tried German. It didn't happen. "Ich liebe dich!" I got that down, along with, "Ich heisse Matthius! Ich bin zwanzig Jahre alt! Ich wohne in New York!"

You know, yay.

Who says that a pain in the ass is a bad thing? OK, besides my wife...

Rat.

Replying to:

To be honest, I think a word-for-word translation of the diary would be a bit difficult to read in English - Dutch sentences aren't subject-verb-object, so you would get something like this from Sat. 1 May 1942)

"Tonight have I mother's hair washed ... "; or (from Tuesday 15 Feb. 1944): "Tuesday had of I mother heard that Pfeffer the following told had". Which doesn't really make a hell of a lot of sense, does it?

Seriously, I know I've said it before, but if you are really keen to read the Diary in the original Dutch you should just learn the language! It honestly isn't THAT hard; like all things that are worthwhile, though, it will take a lot of work.

Replying to:

Rat.

Replying to:

Re: Re: Re: Re: Anne's diary

It starts with the basics ... you just have to keep on with it.

Trust me, I should know. When I moved here two years ago I didn't speak a word of Dutch. Now I can misprounounce it with the best of them!

Replying to:

What if you're dumb like I am and you can't learn another language?

I tried German. It didn't happen. "Ich liebe dich!" I got that down, along with, "Ich heisse Matthius! Ich bin zwanzig Jahre alt! Ich wohne in New York!"

You know, yay.

Who says that a pain in the ass is a bad thing? OK, besides my wife...

Rat.

Replying to:

Replying to:

Rat.

Replying to: