Return to Website

HaT Forum

A forum to discuss HaT products, ETS, uniformology, modeling, painting, and other essentials associated with HaT products.

HaT Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: New set

i agree with Brian get stocks of all those sets he listed into the UK and there will be plenty of sales

Andrew Wardroper
... or require a crowdfunding effort to make the effort worth the time.

I suggest a quick easy money maker is to ...

Personally, I think crowdfunding is the best thing that could have happened to figures and model making.

My suggestion for a quick and easy money maker is to pinpoint a war or era that is lacking figures but has popular appeal and requires fairly large amount of troops. So that narrows it down to the English Civil War.

PDA

My suggestion for a quick and easy money maker is to pinpoint a war or era that is lacking figures but has popular appeal and requires fairly large amount of troops. So that narrows it down to the English Civil War.

Hi PDA

Are you sure that the ECW has a lot of appeal (outside of the UK) and is a quick and easy money maker? I think back to when ACTA released its ECW range and Revell released its 30YW range. I only bought one of each ACTA set but bought a large number of the Revell range. The reason that I have almost 30 of the Revell sets is that most were on sale for $1.99 or $2.99 a box. These sale prices and the duration of the sales are an indication that the era may not be as popular and marketable as one may think. I know that Revell has reissued the 30YW sets in limited quantities over the years. Since they already had the molds, this didn't cost them a lot for limited sales compared to starting from scratch.

Bottom line - I don't think that an ECW line would be as easy a moneymaker as you seem to think.

Right now, HaT has a long list of sets that the masters are already made so they will be giving priority to those. When things settle out, I think that your idea for an ECW crowd-funder is an excellent idea. It will tell us how many people will want to participate in an ECW project.

Pat Brennan

Pat, I wasn't really serious with the ECW; I'd like it, yes, but I can think of (at least) 10 other sets I'd prefer (all of them WW1 British).

I also think it's great that HaT have overcome their difficulty and are starting to make figures again. Even if the ones they are choosing, such as anything ACW, just send me to sleep. That's fine. All the projects will get done, as long as the crowd funds them.

But you've spotlighted the brilliance of crowdfunding - there are a lot of people who talk a lot about how many brazilians of sets they'd buy of this and that, but crowdfunding cuts out the chaff. If the set isn't popular enough it doesn't get made. End of story.

PDA
Andrew Wardroper
... or require a crowdfunding effort to make the effort worth the time.

I suggest a quick easy money maker is to ...

Personally, I think crowdfunding is the best thing that could have happened to figures and model making.

English Civil War and/or Thirty Years War. I'd buy plenty of both, for historical and Lord Kalvan armies.

Bill

"I suggest a quick easy money maker is to MAC the existing British Peninsular set and provide extra sprues of alternate heads - 1812 and tapered light infantry shakos. The molds already exist..."

I think there maybe a fundamental misunderstanding of how plastic figure molds are made here. The mold that already exists will make the set that already exists you cannot use it to make different sets. You may be able to use the master figures to make a new mold if they survived the mold-making process but that is a pretty expensive process.