Return to Website

HaT Forum

A forum to discuss HaT products, ETS, uniformology, modeling, painting, and other essentials associated with HaT products.

HaT Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: What would you give up The Hobby for?

Nowadays - NOTHING - the various facets of this hobby (in which I include, reading, writing and blogging as well as planning painting and gaming with my armies) are pretty much all I have left - If I gave up I would be very bored and very lonely - and NOTHING could fill that void!

for the next 8 weeks a fractured left foot is gonna keep me away.all my hobby stuff is downstairs,which is like a million miles away now since i cant get there,lol.

World Peace and Justice.

But then, I guess if I really cared enough about it, I would dedicate my time and money completely to working for that and would not have any of either left for my hobby.

And I'd go nuts in about two weeks.

Well, maybe not. I did spend about four years in the 1980's working abroad without my "little men" and survived to tell the tale. A kind friend stored all my hobby stuff for me.

When I came back, I discovered Command Decision (and later Johnny Reb) and roared into high gear. Still going.

Not a thing!!! As everything else comes and goes but my little men are always going to be there.
Happy collecting Phil

I've been painting plastic for slightly over 50 years. Needless to say I have given it up every time I found myself selling my collection as my family needed the cash more. But I always kept some boxed figures aside to paint to keep my hand in... generally I have given up the hobby about 5 times already but like an old zombie movie it keeps clawing it way out of the ground and mumbles.. "French...Need more French!"

Tim

Give up the....how could you ask such a thing? I will bid good day to you sir! (walks off in a huff)

In all seriousness though, probably nothing

Well, seeing how I remembering a certain Cadbury Chocolate Bar commercial, the list of demands on my contract with whomever I am signing this "Deal with the Devil" would include a clause stating that a bowel of blue M&M's would have be bought before me before I sign off. This clause being in the contract to make sure you read the contract and are in agreement with it.

After I then read though the contract again to make sure that it is unaltered and signed by you, you are good with me withdrawing from "the hobby" with the freedom to choose to continue in any replacement hobby as defined by me and I get to retain anything that was offered to me to withdraw from the hobby in question.

In another words, I am trying to legally frame this contract to say I want to withdraw from "the hobby" and have my replacement hobby be exactly the same hobby that I just withdrew from, plus I get to keep whatever goodies you offered for withdrawment from the originally said hobby.

And boy, the list of items I wish you to essentially gift me to return to the hobby even before the ink dries off the contract includes, of the top of my head, A Mansion on a tax free tropical Island with a private dock for the Short Sunderland flying boat and Dive boat , a room in the mansion with at least one room that can hold at least three snooker tables (I guess that's called a ballroom) so that the three snooker tables becomes the wargaming table...) And industrial 3D printers, woodworking tools, and CNC machines so that I can make my own original hobby stuff.)

Yeah, that deal with the Devil, well, at least I did not ask for your soul...There's that.

I would never spend money on toy soldiers that was needed for food, shelter, or clothing; there were years (decades?) when I was raising my family I didn't buy a set of toy soldiers. Of course that was during the late 80s, early 90s when there wasn't so much going on so it wasn't that much of a sacrifice and I had plenty of old figures to keep me busy painting.

I guess if the Missus put her foot down and said they had to go I would probably oblige - grudgingly - but there would have to be a pretty good reason for it and I think if she would demand something like that from me knowing how long I've had some of my little guys and how much they've meant to me over the years it would change the relationship. But I think that's a problem I don't have to worry about - I've said it before, I'll say it again, I've got a keeper.

Wayne W
I've said it before, I'll say it again, I've got a keeper.

Glad to hear it. Me, too.

Grumble
Wayne W
I've said it before, I'll say it again, I've got a keeper.

Glad to hear it. Me, too.