Return to Website

HaT Forum

A forum to discuss HaT products, ETS, uniformology, modeling, painting, and other essentials associated with HaT products.

HaT Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Hallelujah! Ancients aren't dead!

Bill Guiroff
Pluto
Alan Buckingham
Good to see you here, and a few others who have so recently reappeared , I did think once Hat started to be more active and pro active the hordes would return, fingers crossed we will see a return of all the old banter too ,and that would be the icing on the cake.
Kind of you, Alan. I never mentioned it but I'd gotten back into the hobby because I'd had a spinal cord injury, and it was one of the few things I could do that didn't stress my neck. So a belated thanks to you, HaT, and my other "banter-mates" for helping make a tough time fun. The only bad part about being recovered is that I don't have that much free time for minis anymore!

Sorry to hear about your injury. I've spent time in the hospital too, three weeks in which I think I came a lot closer to dying that I thought at the time. Thankfully that's three years ago now. Glad to hear you're doing okay!

Bill
....... Well, I can beat that, spent 30-40 mins being dead in 2005 , and have had my heart stopped deliberately in surgery to test to see if my ICD would work after a new one was fitted quite recently, waiting to be killed off in surgery was surreal , I was consciously fighting the very sensible urge to run away.

Pluto, glad you have made a good recovery, life is funny like that, the last few years since moving home I have had a lot less time too, but this winter I am back painting with a vengeance, and enjoying it, so sometimes a rest is a good thing.

Alan Buckingham
Pluto, glad you have made a good recovery, life is funny like that, the last few years since moving home I have had a lot less time too, but this winter I am back painting with a vengeance, and enjoying it, so sometimes a rest is a good thing.

Re: Indicate your interest for the next sets to go into queue!

As much as I feel that you can never have too many elephants, I feel the A.C.W. command set is more urgent.

The obvious answer is ALL OF THEM but I suppose my love of 18th century warfare puts the Austrians as my first choice. The bottom of my list would be the Pyrrhic Elephants, first, because it took me four attempts to spell it right and second because there are high quality suitable alternatives already available which I already have lots.

Mike Manning
The obvious answer is ALL OF THEM but I suppose my love of 18th century warfare puts the Austrians as my first choice. The bottom of my list would be the Pyrrhic Elephants, first, because it took me four attempts to spell it right and second because there are high quality suitable alternatives already available which I already have lots.
True that there are alternatives, but in the Zvezda set the size of one of the two elephants is not at all accurate (see PSR), and the early HaT set is not up to the same level of sculpting as their subsequent work, and limited by the fact it's a one piece mold; so I think a new set's in order. HOWEVER, no buts about the spelling problem, I agree completely .

Pyrrhic Elephants are top of the list for me, but ACW Marching and Command would be most welcome also.

Even though I voted for both. Definitely ACW command and marching followed by SYW Austrians for me. Thanks for letting us have some input.

I'd also like to see the WW2 British infantry. And the WW2 Russian 76.2mm gun with crew. Both of these have been sculpted and the moulds made. Therefore I cannot understand why they have both not been released.

I think overall hat has greatly improved its sculpting!!!!
The volume of sets is second to none would like to see some of the older sets redone......

O had many favourite's..ww2 English and American
Ww1 cavalry x4
Acw x2

Would love to see paras , marines,commandos,medical, generic supply personnel Germans,French,Russian,japs,Australian,Indians,Dutch,Italians,civilians,supply animals

Acw
More zouaves,cavalry,medical,supply troops,early regional troops,arty,guerrilla groups,indian allies

Keep up the good work HAT

Hi
ACW infantry and command.
7YW infantry.
So good!
CPN

Dear Hat,

I currently concentrate my efforts on the Napoleonic period. I hope that you will soon resume the implementation of the Austrians possibly including the Hungarian uniforms.
Thanks for the work you are doing.
Giovanni

Hilarious joke Hat-twitter,

Now where is the Napoleonic options

The bottom line is has it sales potential and it not already available by other manufacturers! There is the uncomplete mini BEF range from Zvezda but there are not full sets. Such a set covers the 1939 - 1941 period.

Considering that the WW1/2 British sets sell out quickly (have yet to get the British tank riders!) the obvious choice is the 1940 BEF.

Russian Cossacks
Sassanid Elephants
US Rifle Squad
Russian Cavalry
British Infantry, 1940

In that order.

Oh, and of course in first place Mexican Revolutionaries.

Several very promising options there, but ultimately it has to be the SYW Austrians for me.

Plenty of other interesting sets I'll probably buy though (particularly the ACW and WWI ones), so I won't be too sad even if the Austrians lose. Anyway, looks like it's going to be a very close race this time - looking forward to seeing the results.

WWI Cavalry....missed the boat?

Dear HaT,

While the figures look fantastic, do you think you may have missed the boat with the WWI cavalry now that a competitor has put out a fairly extensive range of WWI German and Russian cavalry? The average WWI wargamer probably doesn't require masses of cavalry.

I don't say this to be negative at all; rather thinking about the profitability/economics for HaT.

Surely the gap to exploit (please excuse the pun) is early war French cavalry or Austrian cavalry.....which no one has done.

Very excited about the other prospects....particularly the Sassanids and Early WWII Brits.

Regards,
Andrew

Re: WWI Cavalry....missed the boat?

First, the competitor cavalry is aesthetically diferent, with different body proportion.
Second, it is difficult to find.
Third, there is no Cossack Cavalry.

Andrew Hughes
Dear HaT,

While the figures look fantastic, do you think you may have missed the boat with the WWI cavalry now that a competitor has put out a fairly extensive range of WWI German and Russian cavalry? The average WWI wargamer probably doesn't require masses of cavalry.

I don't say this to be negative at all; rather thinking about the profitability/economics for HaT.

Surely the gap to exploit (please excuse the pun) is early war French cavalry or Austrian cavalry.....which no one has done.

Very excited about the other prospects....particularly the Sassanids and Early WWII Brits.

Regards,
Andrew

A competitor? Who's that? I go to the hobby shops every month, and I haven't seen any new WW1 sets yet.

Bill

Andrew Hughes
Dear HaT,

Regards,
Andrew

The Russian and German WW1 cavalry look very fine. I have already sourced WW1 cavalry for my eastern front armies from said competitor (eastern European company starting with an 'S') but these do suffer admittedly from a few strange poses and less than compatible sculpting. I'd gladly retire these and replace with these HaT figures!

Early WW1 French and Austrian cavalries would be good.

1940 BEF should be a winner and will undoubtedly sell well.

Andrew Hughes
Dear HaT,

Take your point but would have to echo what others have said - to be brutally honest those sets are amongst their worst output in terms of dodgy anatomy/poses/flatness though it's good to see the tremendous recent improvement.

The appeal to me of the eastern front and RCW is that there were huge cavalry battles involving Cossack hosts, whole armies of Red cavalry like Budenny's Konarmia and the Ukrainian partisan cavalry of Makhno. This was down to huge spaces that made it difficult to defend a continuous line; open steppe-land ideal for cavalry maneuver and the relative shortage of modern weaponry on that front compared to the western.

SteveO
Andrew Hughes
Dear HaT,

Take your point but would have to echo what others have said - to be brutally honest those sets are amongst their worst output in terms of dodgy anatomy/poses/flatness though it's good to see the tremendous recent improvement.

It depends on which of their WW1 cavalry sets you are looking at. The quality is quite diverse, the images (but not the score) on PSR show that quite clearly.

I have few complaints about their poses. The HäT WW1 cavalry poses might reflect the reality better but for my purposes they are a tad too sedate.

I'd buy the HäT WW1 Cossack cavalry. And the WW2 BEF set. Regards, Pat

Re: Really like the US rifle squad WWII...

They rival Airfix in useful poses and uniforms. I hope they make the cut.

Re: Really like the US rifle squad WWII...

Arlin
They rival Airfix in useful poses and uniforms. I hope they make the cut.

I'd have to say that there is a fair crowd of US WW2 infantry sets out there and I'm wondering what a new set from HaT will add? The poses are good but not greatly different from what has already been released by other manufacturers.

A US infantry squad would of course then also need some heavy weapons support (a further set) and some combat engineer back-up (another set as well!)......

Napoleonic Austrian infantry.

I'm an Ancients gamer. The Sassanid Persian Cataphracts and Elephants would be a natural first choice for me.

Please, less lances to ww1 cavalry. More heavy weapons to ww2 british and US

Agree with Vadim on WW1 cavalry lances - many (if not all?) armies only issued lances to half the men in a cavalry unit, to equip the front rank in a charge, but as the war went on they became increasingly irrelevant. Therefore would be great to have more optional arms holding swords and carbines.

Re: Complete existing ranges first

Hi
Thanks for asking.

It would be nice to see existing ranges completed first i.e. The Sassanids, Austrians for 7YW and WW1 cavalries before embarking on newer lines like ACW or WW2 GI's

Cheers
Danny

No Napoleonic figures so not much interest for me, but did vote sys.