Re: Wargame Q: facing a force majeure of 16 artillery pieces?
Thanks all for the info.
My opponent has placed his figures.
He has placed 8 cannons to his right flank.
It is guarded by about 40 men.
The center is divided in three lines. Grenadiers in front, cavalry behind them and the third line is the hightest and consists of line infantry on the top of the hill. The left flank is rocky and steep and there are no cannons placed there.
There are four cannons spread out in the first grenadiers line and four cannons in the third line.
It looks that he waits for my attack, and then bombard with is right flank and his center pieces and as he diminish my troops, he can move forward untill my lines are broken, then he will move in with his cavalry followed by his line infantry.
I think he will sacrifice his grenadier line when I attack and then hopes that he can fire about three times with his cannons, that could result in an average of 100 casualties on my side and then my line would be disrupted.
I could probably regroup but then he will take the chance to move his artillery forward and he can bombard again. His second line of cavarly will probably try to prevent a regroup manoeuvre.
my plan as for now is:
1. moving forward and take the first pounding
2. set up my four cannons scattered around the second line to prevent his grenadiers to move up fast.
3. splitting my main attack group and sent grenadiers supported with my cavalry to his right flank and capture or destroy as much as cannons as possible.
4. sending 50 men behind the right flank (will take some time) but if my front attack is weakening then I can have 50 men moving up against his defence line.
5. gradually move up my cannons to his right flank when captured and pound his troups from that position.
6. form squares as soon as his grenadier line retreats to withstand a cavalry attack.
I'm going to put up my men this evening.... and I totally feel like I'm going to have a chance with all the tips you gave me. My opponent will meet more resistance than he expected.