​​​​​​​

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Re: Re: "Corps Keeps em flying"

I joined J-3 in late '70 and ran the first IMA avioinics repair complex to be separated form the squadron. In '76, I rotated out and joined Texas Instruments as a tech-rep to ANG outfits converting to RFs. The birds they got from the AF were worse than bad. Ski, you wouldn't have wanted any parts from those junkers.

Would love to hear from or about the guys I worked with - Comfort, Joeperri, Buringrud, Spatz and the rest. I'm an old guy and didn't meet you 'newbies' but I KNOW you. You are the best. Semper Fi brothers. ooraH! Marines.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

Article:
Ahh,you Devil Pups and your cute stories, back in the "OLD CORPS",if we were putting 'em back together with baling wire and c-rat cans.If any Air Force puke parked his F-4 in an ungarded spot, he found it up on blocks sans any removable parts. However it is good to know that the unspoiled record of our "J" outfits is being caried on to this very day with such dash and aploumb.I have a million stories, not only of the vaunted F-4,but also of the EA-6E and EF-10B, which I shall inflict upon you from time to time.SEMPER FI, BOB(SKI)YAGLINSKI (one of the two last living J-1 snuffys to leave Vietnam)

Replying to Original Article:

Now that most of us have rotated to the civiallian world we get a chance to trade stories with people from the "other bracnhes" of the service. The Airforce guys always get me going when they talk about how rough they had it, driving to the flight light in a maintenance van full of Snap on Tools,living in two man "dorms". When they are done with thier sob stories, I tell them how we "Power Plants" guys had to steal a Von's shopping cart so we could haul our tools the last bird on the flightline. Then when you tell them about "Open Sqaud bays" in Iwakuni, they think the Corps was barbaric. Improvise, Adapt, and Overcome, if you can fix F-4 you can fix anything. PS: I dont recall Tim Franicis ever being that "skinny" HANSON 1983-1987 Power Plants

Re: Re: Re: "Corps Keeps em flying"

Dan,

You have to remember,the first time I laid eyes on an RF was in nov of '67.They were parked next to these things that looked like beached whales. The RFs were all shiny new and resplended in their USMC markings. A few years later ,the war weary birds we hadwere luck to get airborne,one bird (RM-17 I think) took an AAA round under its wing, the aircrew flew it back on the RAT.After a miraclious return flight, landed safley and pulled up smoking and leaking to the flight line. All the aircrews had their photo taken next to it,then it was stripped of any usable gear.Once I went over to RCA pool to get a tuner for a Willy and was told our squadron was over budget for the month!He wouldn't give it to me!Had to start a "lend lease program" with VQ-1,the Navy squadron down the street,they had the same EW gear in their EC-121s(I went to school with a few of the squids there) I later paid them back by giving them a lot of stuff left over after we phased the Willys out.Our Avionics officer thought i was shipping it all back to the states,but it only traveled a few hundred yards.

Semper Fi Ski

Replying to:

I joined J-3 in late '70 and ran the first IMA avioinics repair complex to be separated form the squadron. In '76, I rotated out and joined Texas Instruments as a tech-rep to ANG outfits converting to RFs. The birds they got from the AF were worse than bad. Ski, you wouldn't have wanted any parts from those junkers.

Would love to hear from or about the guys I worked with - Comfort, Joeperri, Buringrud, Spatz and the rest. I'm an old guy and didn't meet you 'newbies' but I KNOW you. You are the best. Semper Fi brothers. ooraH! Marines.

Replying to:

Article:
Ahh,you Devil Pups and your cute stories, back in the "OLD CORPS",if we were putting 'em back together with baling wire and c-rat cans.If any Air Force puke parked his F-4 in an ungarded spot, he found it up on blocks sans any removable parts. However it is good to know that the unspoiled record of our "J" outfits is being caried on to this very day with such dash and aploumb.I have a million stories, not only of the vaunted F-4,but also of the EA-6E and EF-10B, which I shall inflict upon you from time to time.SEMPER FI, BOB(SKI)YAGLINSKI (one of the two last living J-1 snuffys to leave Vietnam)

Now that most of us have rotated to the civiallian world we get a chance to trade stories with people from the "other bracnhes" of the service. The Airforce guys always get me going when they talk about how rough they had it, driving to the flight light in a maintenance van full of Snap on Tools,living in two man "dorms". When they are done with thier sob stories, I tell them how we "Power Plants" guys had to steal a Von's shopping cart so we could haul our tools the last bird on the flightline. Then when you tell them about "Open Sqaud bays" in Iwakuni, they think the Corps was barbaric. Improvise, Adapt, and Overcome, if you can fix F-4 you can fix anything. PS: I dont recall Tim Franicis ever being that "skinny" HANSON 1983-1987 Power Plants

Re: Re: Re: Re: "Corps Keeps em flying"

Picking my brains here, anybody out there remember the "field" work we did in J3 in Jan of 68 looking for the XO and his crewman off of Ortega Hwy, or the C-119 flt to Texas for the memorial service.

Replying to:

Dan,

You have to remember,the first time I laid eyes on an RF was in nov of '67.They were parked next to these things that looked like beached whales. The RFs were all shiny new and resplended in their USMC markings. A few years later ,the war weary birds we hadwere luck to get airborne,one bird (RM-17 I think) took an AAA round under its wing, the aircrew flew it back on the RAT.After a miraclious return flight, landed safley and pulled up smoking and leaking to the flight line. All the aircrews had their photo taken next to it,then it was stripped of any usable gear.Once I went over to RCA pool to get a tuner for a Willy and was told our squadron was over budget for the month!He wouldn't give it to me!Had to start a "lend lease program" with VQ-1,the Navy squadron down the street,they had the same EW gear in their EC-121s(I went to school with a few of the squids there) I later paid them back by giving them a lot of stuff left over after we phased the Willys out.Our Avionics officer thought i was shipping it all back to the states,but it only traveled a few hundred yards.

Semper Fi Ski

Replying to:

Replying to:

Article:

Re: Re: Re: "Corps Keeps em flying"

Hey Dan,
Remember you from the ram vans at j-3 be for they moved us over to hams-11.
I was in com/nav but got stuck doing paper work for Top. Dewit.