Black Sun

Welcome to our forum. Feel free to post a message.

Black Sun
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
How to turn a waste of time into something valuable

This website would be interesting if it wasn't so thoroughly pseudoscience. That is, it spends more time asking questions that never get answered, even if they obviously could be, than it spends time listing claims and trying to refute them.

For it is in the trying your utmost to refute and failing, that we find new scientific knowledge. Making claims as to what might be possible, having to admit that we don't know (which is admittedly better than not admitting same when you have to) and then failing to even try and find answers, that's just useless. It makes for niche books and websites, but it doesn't help anyone except to waste time. Which is admittedly fine for a tin foil hatted hobby. But it is but a small step to make for a truly useful hobby.

There is a strong current in scientific communities to stick to their accepted wisdom. That is indubitably true. And for that reason, out-of-the-box thinkers, people who're prepared to ignore established scientific communities' scorn and ridicule, would be a valuable gift to humanity. If only they'd stick to the most rigorous scientific method. But they're not doing so at all.

For it is the failure to produce credible, reproducible, falsifiable results that fails to bring humanity's science forward. Instead, we get grandiose claims with vague parlour trick demonstrations and lots of questions left to the audience. That is unfair because it means the people with the means to answer them are failing to even try and answer.

You want to experiment? First thing you do is learn how to keep a lab logbook, then keep logs. This most basic of tricks already allows for answering many questions that this website apparently deliberately leaves unanswered. That is pretty clearly "not even trying" territory. And it saddens me. We can do so much better than that.

Re: How to turn a waste of time into something valuable

I like this website, I found it informative and I like his spin on things more than others. For me, this website was very entertaining to read. I don't agree with your opinion about usage of time. I wasted no time on this site to create a story from it. A story I'm still working on right now. So, I say good job to the creator of this website!

Cellar
This website would be interesting if it wasn't so thoroughly pseudoscience. That is, it spends more time asking questions that never get answered, even if they obviously could be, than it spends time listing claims and trying to refute them.

Maybe Cellar you're one of these intensely boring people in life who want everything ordered and structured so that you are told what to do and what to think?

Why do you need answers?

Why do you need someone else to feed you palatable facts which don't tax or challenge your beliefs?

Why do you need rigid beliefs anyway and who imprinted those beliefs in the first place?

For it is in the trying your utmost to refute and failing, that we find new scientific knowledge.

Trying to refute something is not a noble endevour. It is about trying to find an excuse not to listen.

Making claims as to what might be possible, having to admit that we don't know (which is admittedly better than not admitting same when you have to) and then failing to even try and find answers, that's just useless. It makes for niche books and websites, but it doesn't help anyone except to waste time. Which is admittedly fine for a tin foil hatted hobby. But it is but a small step to make for a truly useful hobby.

...then you go stick to your useful hobbies and stop wasting our time.

There is a strong current in scientific communities to stick to their accepted wisdom. That is indubitably true. And for that reason, out-of-the-box thinkers, people who're prepared to ignore established scientific communities' scorn and ridicule, would be a valuable gift to humanity. If only they'd stick to the most rigorous scientific method. But they're not doing so at all.

The whole point which you don't get is that creative thinkers are people with imagination who can see and interpret facts differently from your monotonously boring scientific people.

For it is the failure to produce credible, reproducible, falsifiable results that fails to bring humanity's science forward.

Not at all... the blind worship of science and technology without reference to the need for humanity has brought us many miseries, nuclear weapons, the Fu -kishima disaster, nerve gas. Everything you say can be inverted and fired back at you.

Instead, we get grandiose claims with vague parlour trick demonstrations and lots of questions left to the audience. That is unfair because it means the people with the means to answer them are failing to even try and answer.

Perhaps you are being challenged to think for yourself?

You want to experiment? First thing you do is learn how to keep a lab logbook, then keep logs. This most basic of tricks already allows for answering many questions that this website apparently deliberately leaves unanswered. That is pretty clearly "not even trying" territory. And it saddens me. We can do so much better than that.

Then I suggest you away and keep your little notebook and see who really cares?

Well said Simon