Return to Website

Suedewave.com Community Forum

Welcome to Suede's online community forum!

Please feel free to post favorite recipes, song requests, clubs you'd like to see Suede play, reviews of recent shows, de-skunking remedies, etc., but please keep it clean...

Your Diva is a lady of delicate sensibilities, as you know.

Now go. Talk amongst yourselves!

Suedewave.com Community Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Thank you for your beautiful "Defying Gravity" cover

My partner and I saw you in P-Town in October and heard your cover of Defying Gravity. The song is such a powerful description of how we should live our lives.

In November my brother died suddenly at age 47. When I scattered his ashes over the Raritan River in (so he could finally get his dream of rowing with the Princeton Rowing Crew) I played the song and my partner and I "sang" with you as his final send off.

Thank you for touching hearts and minds with your singing. Your gift of song made it possible for me to communicate to him that it was okay to fly and defy gravity.

Re: Thank you for your beautiful "Defying Gravity" cover

Ann, I'm really sorry to hear about the sudden and sad loss of your brother... I would like to imagine you watching him rowing to his heart's content while he looked towards the sky and felt the warm sun shining.

No doubt he felt the energy and spirit from you, your partner, and Suede showing him the true meaning of "Defying Gravity!"

Suede shares some of her very special gifts in that song.

Peace,
ML

dear ann,

first of all, my sincere condolences for the loss of your brother, especially so suddenly. what a beautiful send-off you gave his spirit. that is such a powerful song, powerful message and one we all need to hear and live by.

apologies for the long delay in my acknowledgment of your wonderful post. I, too, have lost two dear spirits in my life lately - in just the past week. my friend roger passed away and I just had to let my sweet pup and constant companion of 9 years go free, my sweet angel - who many of my devotees got to know from her travels with me on tours.

thank you so much for sharing your story and reminding me of the power of defying gravity. I am deeply moved by your generosity.

I wish you peace and gentle grieving, knowing that with time, all his love and the dear times together will be what's present, not the sadness and loss of a wonderful spirit so young...

warmest regards,
suede

I am so sorry to hear that you have had recent losses as well. Knowing your gentle spirit, I am sure that both friends and pups were family members of choice. Sometimes people don't really acknowledge that death of a member of your family of choice is often harder than a death of a member of your family of origin. I hope that during this time you allow others to comfort you and infuse you with love while your heart mends.

I didn't really believe that my heart would mend and that I would be able to come out of the fog I was in. But as spring begins, I feel the fog transforming into a mist. The mist is all around me but I am beginning to see that there is something on the other side. As the world is turning away from the grays of winter and toward the colors of spring, I feel comfort.

I forgot to tell you the other part of the Defying Gravity story. My brother and I grew up in Kansas. We both knew there was something better for us in the world and worked hard to have a different life. He was a nationally known scholar who studied diversity on college campuses and I work in HIV/AIDS planning on the state and national level. So "no wizard that there ever was" was going to bring us down. I'll keep looking toward the western sky to catch a glimpse of him....

Take care of yourself and thanks for writing back.