Return to Website

Suedewave.com Community Forum

Welcome to Suede's online community forum!

Please feel free to post favorite recipes, song requests, clubs you'd like to see Suede play, reviews of recent shows, de-skunking remedies, etc., but please keep it clean...

Your Diva is a lady of delicate sensibilities, as you know.

Now go. Talk amongst yourselves!

Suedewave.com Community Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Holiday Ruminations & Wishes

As the winter holidays approach at seemingly supersonic speed, with them comes the opportunity to take measure of our lives at this point in the time continuum. The past can not be changed, the present is upon us, and the future has yet to unfold. As old as the adage itself, it always seems appropriate at this time of year to “count your blessings.” So in a stream of consciousness mode, random thoughts and ruminations of my blessings and thankfulness cascade over me in a warm and comforting caress. These I share with all of you in no particular order nor grammatically correct fashion, but merely thoughts off the cuff:

When will mankind learn to accept philosophical, religious, political, and societal differences without resorting to wars against each other? We truly do need peace on earth! (Can we not bring our soldiers home to their families sooner rather than later?) Makes the word “mankind” the most oxymoronic word in our universe - did we drop the “kind” somewhere along the way? When will we all learn to accept each other as is without trying to push our beliefs or agendas on each other? Aren’t we all made up of the same DNA (those miraculous nucleotides A, G, C, T)? Who is to say that one pattern or combination of A-G-C-T is better than another? (Sorry, I’ll step down off my soapbox now!)

What a relief and sense of gratitude that the downward spiral of our economy affected me less than many others, at least thus far. After working over 20 years together, every one in my office, along with the rest of our division of the university, has been required to take mandatory unpaid furloughs spread out over the next six months. Such an infinitesimal impact and merely a minor inconvenience compared to those who have lost their jobs or life savings all across this country. Lady Luck has truly been on my side this time.

The merry month of May brought with it, not only another birthday celebration for me, but also the opportunity to experience first hand the birth of Suede’s CD baby and share it with others in Washington. The pre-concert dinner with other Diva Devotees was an extraordinary “icing-on-the-cake” event. Meeting those who I had known only through exchanged written thoughts in cyberspace, yet sensing an intangible, but innate connection was so enlightening. And as a result, newly discovered friendships with other Diva Devotees. Faces to put with heretofore only names on a message board. What astounds me almost more than Suede’s talent is the caliber and character of the kind of fans she attracts, not only as Suede the Artiste, but more profoundly, as Suede the Person. A decidedly unparalleled class act with devotees just as classy!

The return of my daughter to a state of wellness after a distressingly difficult emergency C-section delivery of her first child followed by a complicated and protracted period of recovery. I admire her strength and determination to persevere under almost overwhelming circumstances. I celebrate her blossoming into a happy (albeit fatigued) and confident new mother.

The birth of my first grandchild, a happy and healthy baby boy whose sweet innocent smile could melt any heart as well as the Polar Ice Cap (did you know that global warming isn’t really caused by greenhouse gases?....it’s all those new baby smiles across the globe!). In the 98th percentile for height, I look forward to the day he can reach the top shelves for me!

My partner’s children and grandchildren who love me as much as I love them. What an extraordinarily loving family to be a part of in this era of fractured relationships and dysfunctional households. I hope and pray that all of their dreams come true.

My baby brother who continues to be my hero as he takes care of my mother as he did so determinedly for my sister. He is truly a Renaissance man in his own right. My incredible sister-in-law who has been in lockstep with my brother from the instant she said, “I do” over 20 years ago. I am proud of her fortitude in pursuing her dream of advancing in her chosen profession despite many setbacks along the way and am immeasurably grateful for all she has done and personally sacrificed for both my sister and mother.

My mother who has emerged from the deep dark depths of alcoholism after more than 22 years and into the bright sunlight of sobriety. What an unexpected, but spectacular moment of nirvana to see her sitting with my daughter (whose childhood was almost totally devoid of happy times with her maternal grandmother), looking at baby pictures in a scrapbook my daughter has already started on my grandson. After spending almost a quarter century as a recluse in various degrees of intoxication, my mother is “ready at the drop of a hat” to make a road trip to Charleston to see him. On her recent visit for his christening, she sat between me and my daughter while she fed her great-grandson.....a four-generational picture worthy of Norman Rockwell.

My partner for the past 15 years who I can not imagine living without. A frightening collapse in the wee hours of the morning that rocked my world, but a blessed quick return to normalcy for us both. Her constant love and support have made me the contented woman I am today. My compassion goes out to all those women with whom I have connected recently who have lost their loving partners all too early to life-ending injuries or the unyielding ravages of disease. And to those women who continue to wage a valiant battle on a daily basis, beating the odds one day at a time. Having my partner at my side is truly a blessing I cherish every day. I am a fortunate woman, indeed.

May all of you know the blessing of love that warms your very soul, the touch of butterfly kisses that make you shiver and smile, laughter so uncontrollable that it makes you cry with joy, more rainbows than you can count, and friends who never cease to amaze you with their generosity of heart and spirit. As we approach the coming of a New Year and a desperately needed new direction for our country with a new generation leading us, may we all look to each coming day as another opportunity to make a difference in this world. In the words of Emily Dickinson: “I’ll tell you how the sun rose, A ribbon at a time.....

And as always:
Be safe in all your travels,
Be hopeful for peace in our turbulent world,
Be joyous in your celebrations,
Be amazed at all that Life brings your way,
Be thankful for all your blessings, .....
And may all of you know the joy of love.

Re: Holiday Ruminations & Wishes

Mint Julep,
What a truly inspirational and warm message from you to us all. Yes we all have wonderful blessings to renew us each day. We all just need to stop and "smell the flowers" along our journeys. It is a time of year to reflect and grow through our accomplishments and our mistakes. And a time of year to let go of all the "things" that hold us back from our true potential to ourselves and others.
Many the spirit of the season renew us all and give us hope, health, and peace in the new year.
Lynne