Return to Website

Suedewave.com Community Forum

Welcome to Suede's online community forum!

Please feel free to post favorite recipes, song requests, clubs you'd like to see Suede play, reviews of recent shows, de-skunking remedies, etc., but please keep it clean...

Your Diva is a lady of delicate sensibilities, as you know.

Now go. Talk amongst yourselves!

Suedewave.com Community Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
"cold" in florida? please.

dear devotees,
since my last email to the list (yesterday) wherein some brief whining about chilly temps in new england was expressed, trusty assistant bea and I have been getting very thoughtful emails from florida fans warning of the cold temps there. one even exclaimed that it only got to 55 degrees the day before! now, I know it's all relative and for you southern birds that IS cold but I think I'll still leave my toasty navy pea coat home with the temps in the mid teens (not counting wind chills out here in the middle of the ocean). I even hope for a hotel room with balcony so I might catch some rays and come home slightly bronzed, thank you. who else is out there? what is the wacky weather pattern doing in your neck of the woods? el nina, blah, blah. al gore, anyone?

Re: "cold" in florida? please.

I do tend to think it's all relative... I made a visit to FL 2 weeks ago. It was during one of the many cold spells they've been experiencing, and the snowbirds were bundled up like eskimos... a discouraging sight upon landing in Tampa. Determined to experience the southern weather I left New England to venture, I wore shorts... for a little while anyway. I even waded into the Gulf waters... there are some really cool shells there!
2 weeks later, it's hard to believe their low temps reached 70s, and today I'm happy it "almost" reached 30... It took 2 days to get my car out of the driveway because it was sooo frozen into the snow. I was able to walk to work faster than the public transportation could take me this week.

Suede, I don't think you will need your navy pea coat... but if you're bringing those red boots... I'll be missing out once again!
~so envious of the southern folks these days.

P.S.
Aside from the commercial airlines, you couldn't possibly up in those little planes in this New England weather, could you???

In any regard, WARM wishes to All~

Gore seems bonkers right about now, eh? But it's the BIG PICTURE that seems to be melting, not Buffalo, New York or Cincinnati,Ohio... Single digit tempuratures here mostly, last ten days. Ice storms, rain, freezing, snow, then, over again. Slightly odd, following 60 degree temperatures in December, and the fact that the Snows of Kilamanjaro are still disappearing. The thing what really worries me though is - China mining the moon for 4Hel, to shipback and use as a nuclear power resource. 3Hel is the kind of Helium in balloons, but 4Hel is found richly in the magna of the moon, that can be processed to create nuclear energy.
OMG Don't tell George W.

Suede, I guarantee YOU will not need your “trusty pea coat” in FL. But you might want to bring it along for a Floridian to borrow. I already have mine from Cincinnati.

Those coming down from the North Country always brave the sun tanning and walking in the Gulf or Atlantic. They just got through spending mucho money, and by G, they are going to do it. I remember one Christmas coming down to Miami where it was a high of 35 degrees. My brother was determined to go back North with a tan. So he went up on the roof of the hotel… you can always try that! Sun beating off the asphalt makes it nice and toasty.

The weather pattern is going up and down, our main problem is the cold air that New England is sending us… one day in the 40’s, next in the 80’s… so it just depends on what days you are here for. Be on the safe side and bring a pair of the pants that are long and unzip at the knees for shorts, a tee shirt, and a sweat shirt to go over the tee. And don’t forget the socks! Nothing worse than cold feet, especially in bed.

Whew.... and I thought I'd only encounter some of "those" whacky PERSON-alities, upon my move out here to the LA area.... now, the weather's gone "LA-LA", as well. Temps. have been in the 70's and, 80's more inland. Many are "freaking", due to the THREAT of possible rain and a temperature "drop" (too funny) around the 60's and mid-70's. (Secure the Botox!!) HELLO, it's February!! BRING ON THE RAIN....STORMS....
CHILL.... YEAH!!!!

As a native of Chicago, I grew up "adjusting" to four distinct weather-personality changes in the WINDY CITY. Oh, how I miss the refreshing "cleanse" of it ALL, tho. Now, out here, many get GRUMPY and immensely "inconvenienced" if the sun isn''t ALWAYS shining. I STILL don't get it (but, I REALLY do!) out here! I've got an idea.... let's do, yet ANOTHER, reality based TV show.(?) We'll call it Climate Change Survivor. On the other hand, let's NOT.... I'd rather splash around in the puddles with Al Gore, as I allow myself to be "reined" into his "CONVENIENT TRUTHS".

Swimmingly,
TR

Never let it be said that Steel Magnolias are not prepared for anything, even extremes in the weather. Back in the 70's (1970's that is, not temperature), I spent 2 years in Ithaca, New York, that seemed like a decade. With the lake effect snow from Cayuga Lake, it actually snowed on May 17th (I remember the exact date since my birthday is May 20th, and I knew I would be celebrating it in Charleston, SC, if I managed to bail out of Ithaca!).

Since that time, I have managed to stay true to the promise I made to myself to avoid venturing above the Mason-Dixon Line from October - May whenever possible! Having discovered the beauty of Cape Cod in 1996 and returning every July since then, my idyllic retirement would include summering on the Cape and wintering in my beloved Charleston, affectionately known as the Holy City of the South.

The Mint Julep Brigade is going on a road trip to Tampa this week to see The Diva. When it comes to The Diva, this Steel Magnolia is oblivious to
weather forecasts, but is grateful for the prediction of warm weather and clear skies for the festival in the park on Saurday. See you there!

our sources tell us the temps will be in the mid to high 70's during the day and going down to the 60's at night. not bad at all...maybe I will leave my pea coat at home - and pack the red boots!

Definitely the "red boots"!! From what I hear, they can keep you warm!