Return to Website

Suedewave.com Community Forum

Welcome to Suede's online community forum!

Please feel free to post favorite recipes, song requests, clubs you'd like to see Suede play, reviews of recent shows, de-skunking remedies, etc., but please keep it clean...

Your Diva is a lady of delicate sensibilities, as you know.

Now go. Talk amongst yourselves!

Suedewave.com Community Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
MUSE Cincinnati Concert

Before I get into my review of the MUSE concert, I want to talk a bit about the word “Diva”. Originally the term “Diva” referred to “an operatic prima donna”. The term “prima donna” is expanded to include any “vain or undisciplined person who finds it difficult to work under direction or as part of a team” and I might add “not very gracious to her fans”. This is so contrary to our Diva, Suede. Then the term “Diva” changed to mean “a very successful singer of nonoperatic music”. Now the term is used to describe “a woman of rare, outstanding talent”. This last one is the definition I would use to partly describe Suede. I would also agree with the ancient Italian word meaning “goddess” and in turn the Latin word “divus” meaning “divine one”. HOWEVER, I think there is more to the word “Diva”: there is the woman who will go anywhere she is asked to sing; the woman who independently puts in all the necessary time to develop the concerts, making each one more successful than the last; there is the woman who adores her fans and demonstrates this continuously; there is the woman who supports every non-profit organization she sings for, by passing the hat and having the audience give even more; there is the woman who will perform at 5 concerts in a row with bruised ribs, without canceling or complaining; and there is the woman who will fly 42 hours (with continuous delays and missed connections) and arrive just in time to put on a fabulous 2 and ½ hour concert. NOW, that describes a DIVA and thus describes Suede to a tee. She is truly a DIVA.

Now for the review of the MUSE concert held 2/3/07 in Cincinnati. I flew up from Florida, after buying a winter coat over the Internet and good thing I did; temps were in the single digits. It was windy and COLD!

Doors opened to a pre-concert event of wine, cheese and silent auction items. Everything was beautifully displayed and there was ample fruit, cheese and crackers and flowing wine. At 7 PM Suede came out to entertain those buying pre-concert tickets and was accompanied by a very accomplished Scot Woolley, from Cincinnati. This is where we heard about the 42 hour trip from Boston to Cincinnati. [late leaving Boston, missing connection in D.C., finally getting to Chicago and then delayed in Chicago.] Suede and instruments were totally missing one another. Suede should have arrived the evening of the 2nd, but instead arrived late afternoon on the 3rd. Any sightings of Suede sleeping on the floor of the D.C. or Chicago airports, are now confirmed. Upon arriving and finding instruments and concert attire, Suede had a 2 hour practice session with her new found pianist. No time for a nap for this Diva.

Despite the lack of sleep and being totally drained, our DIVA managed an awesome 2 ½ hour performance, giving it her ALL.

I was disappointed that the “red boots” stayed home in Wellfleet and that the MUSE choir did not sing; but all else made my weekend trip more than awesome.

Re: MUSE Cincinnati Concert

Toni, thank you for the rundown on the word "Diva." This lady really fits the bill. The 42 hour travel time must have been a headache and a half for her. She is always amazing me with how fanistic she really is. I hope she had better connections getting to where she is going next. It is difficult to get to all the places she is performing but it certainly worth the try to attend. From your review of her concert this is one of many that I wish I could have been there. Since you are from Florida I bet you will be seeing her in the near future. Please enjoy her Florida gig's for me. If you can't make the California engagements I'll enjoy them for you. Thank you for the post and the information you shared.

MUCH AGREED, Sallie! Toni, THANK YOU for sharing such a DIVA-lightful and insightful "travel-logue" of a day (or days) in the PRO-duction/PRO-active life of Suede.

I'm currently sitting around here with friends celebrating my B-day and as we visit the message board, we're NOT at all surprised by Suede's remarkable tenacity and incredible work ethic. There's simply a feeling one gets when he/she witnesses the "layerings" of this unique artist. We "get it" and it has been an honor and pleasure to hear AND see Suede in "different" lights (up close and personal), while also reading a variety of experiences you all share on this message board.

CHEERS to ALL,
Terri and friends

P.S. Now here's the "rub".... Suede, are your ribs okay?!

have I missed something? What on earth happened to you, Suede? Are you alright??

Thank you Toni - I became and instant fan while watching her Muse performance. Where has this Diva been all my life??