Return to Website

Suedewave.com Community Forum

Welcome to Suede's online community forum!

Please feel free to post favorite recipes, song requests, clubs you'd like to see Suede play, reviews of recent shows, de-skunking remedies, etc., but please keep it clean...

Your Diva is a lady of delicate sensibilities, as you know.

Now go. Talk amongst yourselves!

Suedewave.com Community Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
peace concerts in DC jan. 27 & 28

as you've possibly noticed I don't usually post after concerts. I prefer to leave that up to you all and see this as a place for you to talk amongst yourselves. however, the concerts in washington, DC on the weekend of the peace march last week were such an extraordinary experience that I needed to share some of it here for those who could not join us.

I was invited to be a guest soloist with the lesbian gay chorus of washington, DC for two concerts titled "peace by piece" and shared the stage with several wonderful musical acts including the iranian "enchanted string ensemble" founded and directed by iranian composer Kazem Davoudian who fled iran a short time ago and is living out his dream of bringing iranian music, instruments, and musicians to the US and beyond while also finding iranian musicians in the US and building musical bridges to peace across many miles. this is no small task and even potentially unsafe for those involved - both those who have managed to get here and for their families back in iran if it is discovered that they performed with a les./gay chorus. but they believe in peace and democracy and sharing cultures through music so they make the journey.

the entire program was truly inspiring to be a part of. the chorus, under the direction of paul heins,sounded magnificent and the program paul put together was absolutely marvelous. check them out at www.LGCW.org. the work they are doing through their music is changing the world.

when I was asked to sing "from a distance" to follow the performance of the string ensemble with the LGCW I was struck by the fact that, given everything going on in the US and this administration and everything going on in the middle east right now, what are the chances of an iranian string ensemble performing with a lesbian/gay chorus? now THAT'S celebration of cultural diversity and the possibility of peace. it was deeply, deeply moving and an honor and privilege to be a part of it all.

it was a real thrill for me to sing with LGCW for these concerts which were recorded for their upcoming 4th CD.

who else was there?

Re: peace concerts in DC jan. 27 & 28

The Diva has really covered this fantastic concert! I had the pleasure of being able to attend both days. On Saturday everything was new and exciting. I really did not hear and retain what all was performed. On Sunday I was able to listen more carefully and really hear the voices and musical instruments. The story of Peace came through loud and clear. The "Enchanted String Ensemble" incredible performance introduced me to 2 musical instruments I had not seen in a live performance. If you ever get a chance to see this chorus GRAB IT AND HANG ON FOR A WINNER!

I went to the March on Saturday, which I described to a friend as the "attention deficit" Anti-War March. I was moved by many of the speeches, and quite frankly by the willingness of so many elders who were marching beside the younguns. I connected with one guy in particular who had tears in his eyes as he told me how moved he was.

Coming back to DC for the "Peace by Piece" Concert on Saturday was a truely a balm for the soul. I needed to hear the beautiful assortment of songs,that created an energy that reinforced my own particular brand of working in the world of creating thoughtful/peaceful moments one piece at a time.

Thank you Suede for making the astute observation on the gift hearing the passionate music of the Iranian "Enchanted String Ensemble." I have friends here who don't even identify themselves as Iranian, calling themselves Persian, fearing American backlash. There are so many levels where these musicians have to deal with racist and homophobic people in America and in their homeland.
I appreciate so much their willingness to risk their safety to inform this audience of the possibilty of building a world changing community.
Oh and Suede you were lovely. So great to hear you sing "From a Distance" in this context. You know I remember when you first sang it in Columbia Maryland over a decade back for a crowd of us rowdy bar folks and I knew then what an important song that was. Keep sending out that energy, this world on tilt certainly needs it. Peace and Blessings!

Wow, what a moving concert that must have been. I applaud the courage and commentment of the Iranian musician. "From a Distance" has always been a moving song for me as its words are so powerful and meaningful. On the last day that my "soul sister" and I shared together we were driving to see my granddaughter. I was playing your first CD and when "From A Distance" came on she got so excited and sang along with it. Fact is she had me play it 3 more times and we both joined in singing loudly. Afterwards she and I spoke about the lyrics and how wonderful the world would be if all of humankind would be instruments of love and hope. She even felt that it's a song all children should learn and talk about. About a week later she met her untimely death. I somehow believe that she is looking down on us and saying yes the words to the song are true, just give it a chance.
Suede is so much a part of peace, love, and hope that it was a perfect song for her to share with the fortuante people there. She walks the walk and talks the talk. Thanks Suede. May we all join her and truly be insturments of love and hope for all. We really could change this world. Music sure is a leading way.
I enjoyed reading the comments of those that were there. I sure missed a wonderful opportunity to be part of something that is bigger than all of us. But at-least I got to read about it!!!!!!!
To the "love of love" and "the hope of hope" the world over.
Lynne

I was there for the Sunday afternoon performance. It was quite possibly the most extraordinary event I have seen Suede do. The room was packed, and all the performers seemed to me to be in a quietly centered and confident place. The hoopla of recording and the jitters involved with the first public performance were behind them, and on Sunday, they were all relaxed enough to enjoy thoroughly living in the moment, and sending out the message. Suede, as always, was a rock, and I think the chorus and the Enchanted String Ensemble drew something from her. Ultimately, the performance was one deeply shared with the audience -- a rarity in our world. As Suede sang "From a Distance" there were tears in her eyes, for she knew clearly that it is from occasions like these, the little nuggets created by little people who care a great deal, that our world can and will be changed.