Return to Website

Suedewave.com Community Forum

Welcome to Suede's online community forum!

Please feel free to post favorite recipes, song requests, clubs you'd like to see Suede play, reviews of recent shows, de-skunking remedies, etc., but please keep it clean...

Your Diva is a lady of delicate sensibilities, as you know.

Now go. Talk amongst yourselves!

Suedewave.com Community Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Birthday Diva

For all those Devotees who do not yet know, our dear Diva is a birthday gal in November. I will not divulge the exact date (or which year) because I think everyone on this planet known as Earth deserves celebratory salutations the entire month in which our world was blessed with a new presence and unique life force.

So, how about it Devotees? Dust off those gray matter cobwebs and send your Happy Birthday salutations to Suede on the Community Forum throughout this entire month!

Re: Birthday Diva

Mint,
Thank you so much for reminding us and for helping me out. I’ve been trying to come up with a way to honor our dear Diva for 25 years of devotion and hard work in entertaining all of us, in a way that only the she can do. I was thinking of doing a tribute to Suede all in one Post, so that she could have it for keepsake. So, if you don’t mind, we could make it a combo…(ya know something like burgers and fries…lol) a tribute and birthday present :o)
Since Suede has been all over the world, I thought it would be nice if she could read all of our stories about the first time we’ve seen or heard her sing, where, when, what it meant….etc
I hope this goes well. I will post my story soon. Please join in, let her know what she means to us :o)

Luci,

To borrow a word from the Diva: "FABULOUS!!!"

Stay tuned, Folks, this is going to be a fun month on the Community Forum!

What a great idea gals. Count me in!!!! Suede has enriched so many lives. Now it's our turn to let her know what she means to each of us. To combine her birthday month AND her 25 years of delighting us all, is one EXCELLENT and meaningful way to celebrate who she is and what she is all about.
Lynne

What a brilliant idea, BOTH Mint Julep and Luci!!

CHEERS to supporting and honoring OUR Diva, not only for the RARE AND GIFTED talent she shares with MANY around the world, but in the various ways she's touched us, individually, through the years.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY MONTH AND HAPPY "25" YEARS OF SHOWERING US WITH YOUR MYRIAD TALENTS, HUMOR AND SMARTS!!

Stay "tuned",
TR

It's your birthday, Suede, and you know what they say,
CAN'T TURN BACK 'cause forward's the only way.

We talked about our birthdays ON THE DAY WE MET.
When I told you it would be your best year yet.

So toot your horn and strum your frets,
Life is too short and, please, NO REGRETS.

That you'll raise some hell, I have no doubt,
Really GIVE THEM SOMETHING TO TALK ABOUT.

Celebrate all day and don't be lazy,
Have FUN, FUN, FUN and just go CRAZY.

COME RAIN OR SHINE, you should party all day,
Just an idea from Amy with a capital A.

Because yours is DESTINATION MOON, ain't even on a map
Tell MISTER SANDMAN, "not today, not even a nap."

Have them pour you another SCOTCH AND SODA,
And as you drink, remember this coda;

Whether life takes you north, south, east, or west,
TILL WE MEET AGAIN, wishing you the very best!

Have the greatest birthday ever!
Amy

Amy (with the capital A),

You must have a bit of poetic blood coursing through your veins. You should definitely check out your family tree for traces of the great bards in some of the tree branches. What an original and unique birthday greeting for the Diva!

Suede,
The first time I saw you perform was in Ptown at the Crown and Anchor for my first Women’s Week about 5 years ago. What a day to remember, it was life changing.
This past month I was fortunate enough to have attended two of your shows. You out did yourself at both performances. You are such a great entertainer, your fantastic, delightful, dazzling, gracious and one classy Diva.
Your singing is enchanting; it takes me places I’ve never been before. I get lost in every song you sing. When I listen to you sing I forget all my worries, it’s very soothing, so therapeutic. With all of your extraordinary talents you sculpt and vocally mold each song, making it your own, hence leaving us yearning for more.

Well Birthday Girl, I wish you much happiness, good health in mind and soul, and many many more years of doing what you love to do!! Happy Birthday Suede, from the bottom of my heart!
Luci

I first heard the gorgeous Suede about 31 years ago. I was in college, but I'm sure she wasn't old enough to drink at the time. Joni Mitchell is great, and I like Counting Crows, but Suede always did the best "Big Yellow Taxi".

Someday, I'll manage to catch another show live. It's been 27 years, and I'm tired of waiting. Maybe she really will come to the midwest sometime.

Doug

mint julep, you're my favorite. shhhhh, don't tell the others......

what a lovely, lovely idea. thank you. these posts are so wonderful...some made me tear up, truthfully.

I've been away from the board for a while. to come back to this is just amazing. I am so fortunate to have you all in my life. gotta get reading now....more later, no doubt.

Re: Re: Birthday Diva

and, PS.

how incredible to hear from doug from way back in college days. he did sound for me at the college coffeehouses I played in iowa!!!!!! god love the internet! fyi, I've got cassette tapes from some of those, recorded by doug, no doubt. now there's something for the suede archives. yow. I was so intense and significant then! and I did do a good version of "big yellow taxi" along with "killing me softly" and a lot of janis ian ("jesse" was my signature song then), james taylor, CSNY, grateful dead, and lots of others....very fond memories, indeed. and previews of so much more to come. who knew I'd be fortunate enough to actually have THIS life? there are many who wish for it and are not so fortunate. again, I say I am very present to the fact that I have all of you to thank for that and I know it.

all the posts are just great. amy (with a capital A) wrote such a fun poem using suede-isms, luci's story of first hearing me was fabulous....I could go on, as you know. my point is, they're all really wonderful and I feel very acknowledged and appreciated by you all. who could ask for more than that?

and yes, to be celebrating 25 years with you all and a big birthday in the same year (hint, hint), which has not occurred YET, conjures up a lot of gratitude, indeed.

I thank you.

My Dear Diva,

On my Steel Magnolia honor, I would never tell the others! I can keep a secret, too!!

happy birthday, litle a and big A reference is getting old......

November is half over, Devotees. I am still composing and editing my remembrance of my first evening in the Diva's audience to post here before the end of the month, but I keep getting sidetracked listening to her CD's and watching the Di-Va-D from Scullers. I certainly don't have the discipline it takes to be a writer, but I am enjoying the process!

I have narrowed down my discovery of Suede to '92 or '93 at an establishment in Provincetown. Though I cannot recall the name of the place, it was in an upper level setting (I think there's a Ben & Jerry's below) and Suede was wearing red, one of the colors she dazzles in. I was swept away and have been on the devotee wagon ever since. What Suede does not know, is how much her gift has really touched my life. She helped me find the strength to get out of an abusive relationship that I had allowed to wear me so low, I was sure I had been buried without a way out. There is one song I used to play over and over and now enjoy revisiting, having come a long way from those days, though I've never heard her sing this in person... (#9 "Home to Myself", Easily Suede), the other I've heard in person, and still love to revisit (#6 "Remember Who You Are", On the Day We Met). From the early 90s, through her days of being one of three "Flirtations"... SO happy Suede became her own shining star once again! Through the millennium.... "loved that New Years performance!" I realize now how spoiled I was to have the opportunity of experiencing several Suede shows during the summer months.
With each of her cds & DVD, I enjoy returning to the music and memories of the Diva's travels through time. Amazingly, when you think you have seen the best of Suede... she manages to outdo herself!
On November 30th, I will raise a glass in honor of my favorite Diva! And if I'm calculating correct, *which I know I am* this is a VERY SPECIAL year for you!
I hope this finds you Celebrating the month away!

As always, your #1 Fan on Cape Cod~
ML

The first time I saw Suede, David, and Max was at the Birchmere in 1999. Suede wore a yellow blouse and black satin slacks and was leaning on the black baby grand, lights were dimmed except for the baby spot, to the right you could see the stage door on the brick wall behind her. David started the introduction...mesmerized I waited for the first few bars.... Suede came in singing Destination Moon and I was immediately blown away by her crystal clear voice, range, and ability to capture the audience. Needless to say I was glued to my seat the rest of the show. This seems like years ago, however, the longer I've known Suede the more I respect and admire her work for people, charities, organizations, and music. We are blessed to have Suede in our lifetime. Cyndi

The Final Countdown begins:

10..., 9....more days until the Diva celebrates her B-Day, so I hope everyone is out there putting the finishing touches on their first-encounter stories and birthday wishes. I am trying to cross the "T's" and dot the "i's" myself, but keep getting interrupted with one big annoyance known as my work-day-a-world. But I keep adding or editing a line or two between job requirements. So keep at it, Devotees, as the final day approaches for Birthday Salutations and First Time I Heard Suede stories for her 25th Anniversary as The Diva!

During this holiday weekend of giving "thanks", I'd like to indulge this opportunity to share my initial "tuned-on" to Suede experience(s)....

In 1996, my partner and I were on our first OLIVIA cruise to the Eastern Caribbean on the Dolphin Oceanbreeze, when I first heard Suede perform. THAT VOICE.... was Streisand on board?!?! (No kidding, that's what coasted through my brain cells.) Fast forward to 1998....

Yes, another OLIVIA cruise, this time traveling solo on the Dolphin Seabreeze and THAT VOICE was set to sail, as well. Not only were Suede's varied "performances" on the cruise memorable, but I just couldn't get this new (to me) and unique talent out of my head! WOW.... the clarity, personal style, myriad musical abilities and sheer charisma continued to make lasting impressions. (I remember thinking and sharing with Suede, "Why haven't I heard of you in LA?") I also recall several crossings and hearing her infectious laughter throughout our OLIVIA travels.

And now, one of THOSE "moments" I'll remember all my life.... A late night hour at the bow of the ship, with Nancy Norton (a comedian), Suede and me, in the middle of the ocean, under blackened star-lit skies. (I swear, the skies were winking!) Anyway, after a few drinks and laughs, Suede decided to get her guitar and began to play to an impromptu surrounding.... A party of three, devouring the music of the night, surrendering to the ship's "lead"! It was when I heard Suede's own composition of "KAIROS" that I drifted into another galaxy of spiritual energy. In all my 34 years (then), I had never felt such a raw connection with a "moment". It was a true "Suede Serenade" to the universe!!

Well, the evening certainly had a "voice", expanding to another night of similar experiences with a larger group of "night owls" which formed. Sharing in music, laughter, drink, personal heart-to-heart stories and middle-of-the-night calm, were we!! (It just doesn't get much better than this....YEAH!) It was as if an angel, I'll call her SUEDE, had taken All of us under her "musical wing", intoxicating our hearts, minds, bodies and souls.

For such precious memories and continued "musical feasts", you are a treasure and I sincerely and most humbly THANK YOU!! HAPPY BIRTHDAY MONTH, HAPPY "25th" ANNIVERSARY and HAPPY "GIVING/SHARING" THANKS!!!!

Terri

TR,

What a unique experience! One can almost smell the fresh salty sea breeze when reading it. Definitely makes me want to save my coupon money for a cruise. Thank you for sharing such a wonderful story.

And the countdown continues:....4..., 3...,....!

Well, Mint Julep, come along and cruise with us! Ya never know.... Suede is full of surprises!!

Thanks for the post and may you and yours have a loving and safe holiday season.

TR

Birthdays are so special to each of us, and out dear Suede is no exception. We have all said Thanks in the last few days for many things, and Suede was near the top of my list as I hope it was on yours. Both cars have a set of CDs as to the cars of many friends thus we can bring forth that glorious voice and great arrangements quite often. My favorite, though perhaps not yours, is Remember Who You Are, which is for me a guiding principle in my life.

Happy Birthday to you Suede, and many, many more.

dutey

PS--Hi to Bea as well.

OH TR!! What an experience, what a treasured memory. Thank you so much for sharing that with us. I want to thank everyone for posting and making this a memorable post for Suede. Mint Julep......I can't wait to read yours........

Suede as the count down nears the BIG DAY, I sincerely wish you the best and I hope that your special day is FABULOUS!!! Enjoy, Enjoy

Celebrate the beauty of your spirit.....Embrace the dreams in your heart....Acknowledge the great joy you bring to the world....Realize just how much your life means to those around you... Happy Birthday to a Wonderful Life!!

As NASA says: ". . . 2 , . . . 1 , . . . 0 , ignition . . . ,"

Less than 24 hours for the Birthday Diva!

My first evening with the Diva was on a July summer night at the Vixen in P-town while on vacation in 2002. An evening of song with Suede would prove to help me move through my almost inconsolable grief over the loss of my sister. My sister died in March of that year before she reached her 55th birthday after battling the long term complications of diabetes. A rapid succession of strokes robbed my sister of her vision, her memory, and the ability to take care of even the most basic personal needs. Inevitably, the agonizing decision was made to stop her renal dialysis when it became apparent that it was no longer prolonging her life, but merely delaying her death. As a nurse, I knew it was the right medical decision, but as her sister, it broke my heart & my spirit.

As soon as Suede sang the first few lyrics of “Emily Remembers,” I was flooded with an avalanche of emotions and quietly sobbed through the rest of the song as each subsequent lyric resonated deep within my heart that was overflowing with memories of life with my sister:

“Dances at the high school some 40 years ago,…standing on the bleachers, cheering for the home team” — My sister’s high school senior class sponsored an old-fashioned “Sock Hop” in the school gym, and she was the senior quarterback of the first Powder Puff Football Game at our all-girl high school in 1962.

“…walks along the river on a Sunday afternoon” — My sister was an avid nature lover and spent many Sundays hiking in the Pisgah National Forest and tubing down the Green River in her beloved mountains of NC. As she had instructed in her will, my sister’s ashes were placed under a mountain laurel beside a stream in the Pisgah National Forest overlooking the Blue Ridge Parkway.

“She forgets today’s her birthday” — Although she was 3 years older than me, our birthdays were one day apart with hers on May 19th and mine on May 20th. As children, we alternated birthday parties from year to year. As adults, we knew that at least one person would never forget to send a birthday card. Her birthday card to me was always the first to arrive in my mailbox no matter how far apart we lived. For her last birthday, she was unaware of my presence at her bedside.

“She forgets that I’m her best friend”….
“She forgets how much she loves me”….
“I remember it for her” ….. — No matter the situation, we always knew we had each other’s unconditional love & support as we sustained and protected each other as children in a dysfunctional family. During her final days, I sat at her bedside telling her stories of all the funny things we had done together when we were young, and occasionally, a faint smile would drift across her face, although I knew she was unaware of who I was.

As is her custom, Suede was signing CD’s as everyone left the show that night. While she was signing a CD for me, I tried to explain to her why I was so moved by “Emily Remembers” (as so many audience members are) and just broke down again in uncontrollable tears. Immediately setting her pen down, Suede simply put her arms around me, a total stranger, in a gentle but supportive embrace and just let me cry. I know I must have left tear stains on her jacket that night. It was the single most meaningful random act of kindness I have ever experienced.

It was not until the next summer in P-town that I was able to share the entire story about “my Emily” with Suede. And since that time, I still shed a few tears every time I hear the lyrics as I remember my dear sister. However, out of profound sorrow came great joy with having my life touched in such a meaningful way by Suede, whose talent is exceeded only by the depth of her compassion, inner beauty, and generosity of spirit.

So, my dear Suede, when the clock strikes 12:01 AM, my heartfelt wishes for a devilishly Happy Birthday and congratulations on your 25th Anniversary as The Diva With the Hot Notes! The beauty within you warms those around you. Thank you for sharing your light with us for so many years. You have made the Dance of Life all the more joyous for me and countless others.

An ever grateful Diva Devotee, Mint Julep

I have been away from home for over six weeks. In that time a great many posting have been made on this wonderful message board. I feel so blessed to be able to make a post before the 30th. Thank you one and all for sharing your outstanding stories concerning Suede. I am new to the group as I did not know her until a cruise last winter. Now I will not book a cruise unless Suede will be performing. Mint Julep, Kairos is one song I play over and over just to marvel at the magic of the instrument and voice blending. Her CD's and DVD are always near so I can enjoy her voice anywhere at any time. Suede, many happy birthdays await you in the future. Make this one a blast with people you love. The next time we meet I will treat you to a B&B and perhaps we can toast to your outstanding future.

I was first introduced to the Diva via PBS on a late Easter night, 2004, as I was surfing through the channels. I was overwhelmed and when the program ended, immediately went to the computer. Four CD’s later I was definitely “Hooked on Suede”.

The same PBS show aired the next week and I taped it, however, also went back to the computer and bought the DVD. At that point I had to also buy a DVD player, not having entered the DVD age as of yet.

From Suede’s website, I discovered she would be in Orlando in June. At this show, she was not accompanied by David or Maxman, but did a solo performance. The solo performance allows you to concentrate solely on Suede, without being distracted by others in the band. I had a front row seat and was invited back to the “green room” during intermission. I drove back to Cocoa Beach on cloud nine.

My next meeting was a 900 mile drive up to the Birchmere and the LGCW concerts. Janice Friedman made her debut appearance with Suede’s band and Maxman and Suede were in total harmony. The LGCW concert was my favorite. Janice and Maxman were there and the room was so small, that it felt as if Suede was singing just for you. At this concert I was the winning bidder on “Dinner with Suede”. The dinner was not to be for another 3 weeks, so I drove the 900 miles back home. I got smart and flew up for the dinner, which was grand.

Oakland, MD. was a 10 hour drive up from where I was staying at the time, so I drove up to that concert. This was an extra long concert and only Janice was with the Diva this time. Here, in a very casual setting, I got up the nerve to ask Suede for permission to have my picture taken with her. Hanging in my hallway, among other fabulous moments, is a picture of Suede, Janice and me. My computer desktop also supports another threesome picture, which puts me in constant thought of those amazing concerts.

My last concert, to date, was a trip to Provincetown for Suede’s production and also the next day for her soundtrack debut. Tampa is only a couple months away and it has been marked on my calendar for months.

I never tire of being at the concerts. Each one is unique in its own way and have become better and better. I am looking forward to next year’s Oscars, where Suede performs “We’re Nobody Yet”. Also to next year’s Grammies, where “Dangerous Mood” wins big time!

Suede, may your next 50 years be even more awesome than the first 50. Happy “Golden” Birthday, Babe!

What a beautiful day in the neighborhood for a birthday celebration.

As the song lyric says: May you stay forever young!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, SUEDE ! ! !

Happy Birthday to you, Happy Birthday to you etc. etc.
etc., you really don't want to hear us sing, so with the magic of the message board you will have to use
your imagination.

Best Birthday Wishes to the Diva !!!!

Donna & Carollee

HEY, "BIRTHDAY GIRL"....

FIFTY "FABULOUS" CHEERS AND TOASTS TO YOU, ON YOUR EXTRA-SPECIAL DAYiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii+i, FOR MORE GOOD LUCK!!

HAPPY, HEALTHY, SOULFUL AND BLISSFUL CELEBRATIONS IN HONOR OF YOUR DAY, AND THE MANY DAYS (YEARS) IN THE LIVES OF OTHERS YOU'VE INSPIRED WITH YOUR "TOUCH OF MUSIC....CLASS"!!!!

BRAVO, SUEDE....BRAVO!
TERRI, MARY, BUD AND FANNY SPIRIT(S)

Happy,Happy Birthday!!!
What a super year it is for you...25 years of "doing what you've always wanted to do" (and wow are we fortunate that we get to listen to that wonderful voice of yours!) AND having a special birthday!!!
So many of us have been touched by you and your music. I first heard you in Provincetown several years ago. My partner and I were at a Kate Clinton Show and you came on stage. You sang "Sisters" and I nearly fell off my chair. I couldn't believe what a rich voice you had. We made a beeline to see your show and I have been hooked ever since and try to get to your shows whenever possible...though Toni sure has me beat in her travels to see you perform!!! It's been so much fun bringing a bunch of my fun-loving friends to hear you at the Tin Angel (and we all look forward to your return!). Your Dec. 30th show has become part of my partner's and my Christmas Holiday tradition now.
Your song "Til We Meet Again" has bought me such comfort. Several years ago I lost two of the most special and important people in my life...my mom and my soul-friend, Connie. There were times when I didn't know how I'd make it through without them. That song has been played from your CD so much that I am surprised it hasn't worn through. Each time I've listened to it, the words and your voice have brought me such a peace. Sometimes I wonder if my Mom and Connie aren't communicating through your voice in that song or if I'm singing it to them. Thank you for helping me through the hardest time in my life.
May ALL your days bring you happiness, peace,love, and health.
I am so glad you were born!!!!!
Lynne

To ALL the loving and supportive Suede fans who have posted above and may continue to post throughout the evening (it's PT in CA)....

I am touched to tears and smiles, after reading and re-reading the heartfelt experiences you have generously and creatively shared throughout Suede's B-Day month! It has been a pleasure to indulge this message board, as the daily "grind" in life can, often times, be such a challenge. To take part in this "circle" of Suede support reminds me of one of my favorite songs, "WHAT A WONDERFUL WORLD"!! (I can just "feel" Suede singing this song!!!!)

Happy/Safe Holidays, EVERYONE-
TR

Yesterday I planned to send my congratulations to Suede in this thread, but unfortunately I made a mistake and did not succeed, stupid me! I am so sorry.
So today I wish you belated Happy Birthday and I hope you had a wonderful day.
I never had the opportunity to see you perform, maybe next year I will be able to come to one of your concerts in the U.S. and enjoy your wonderful voice and music. I am looking forward to that occasion.
But I am looking forward even more to see you in the Netherlands performing one day, you never know.
Annette.

I am simply overwhelmed with the things you've all written in this thread. I find myself without words and downright stunned, truthfully. what an amazing tribute you have given me....I thank you so much for your generosity in words, wonderful gifts, cards, all of it - not to mention (at the risk of being redundant) this life I love so much and the chance to connect with you all. YOU have given me that...I am so blessed.

my day was wonderful, starting out with my first flying lesson! then I went to borders with a gift card (thanks, lynn) and bought stronger reading glasses....just as at 40, I SWEAR my eyes got a little bit worse on november 30, 2006. hm.

on to the next adventures, devotees!
I'm a LONG way from done!

To Suede, i hope you had a great and wonderful birthday and you better still be celebrating - it's the nature of the big 5-0, you know. '56 was a good year!

i waited until the birthday stuff was done to share a few things. one night, i sat up writing a little essay about, what else, message boards. first because i was so moved by this thread. hearing these stories has given a whole new perspective...to so many, Suede's much more than a performer. and secondly because i heard somebody say recently of people who participate in these chats: "Some people just don't have a life." I beg to differ. There are others, and I am one, who say, "I do have a life and this just happens to be making it alittle fuller right now..."

mint julep, your story **** near floored me. how beautiful, and touching. (and how close to home-the last time i talked to my father, i was promising him that i would do what my mother and brothers couldn't bring themselves to do; talk to the doctors and get him off life-support and out of his misery)

this place where we talk of things that make our hearts break and of the people and things that make our hearts soar! and who can forget the famous thread of books, movies, and music!! and all thanks to you-know-who...

i love coming here, to talk or just listen. a place to escape to for a minute or so, here and there. Suedewave.com is like a benign addiction, and where 'stranger' is a very relative term in deed....

Amy,

What a great post about the Community Forum and Suede. You said it all! Thank you for your kind words regarding the post about my sister and my connection to Suede.

Perhaps, someday we may run into each other at one of Suede's performances. Speaking of which, my partner just told me what she is doing for my birthday. We are flying to DC the weekend of my birthday for Suede's performances at the Birchmere on 5/19/07 (my sister's birthday) and the LGCW benefit on 5/20/07 (my birthday). If you plan to be there as well, look for the two people in burgundy "Mint Julep" polo shirts!