Return to Website

Suedewave.com Community Forum

Welcome to Suede's online community forum!

Please feel free to post favorite recipes, song requests, clubs you'd like to see Suede play, reviews of recent shows, de-skunking remedies, etc., but please keep it clean...

Your Diva is a lady of delicate sensibilities, as you know.

Now go. Talk amongst yourselves!

Suedewave.com Community Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Riddle Me This

Just for fun, this is one of my favorite riddles:

What is more powerful than God, but more evil than the devil;
The poor have it, but the rich need it;
And if you eat it, you will die?

(Suede, as I recall, you already know the answer to this one and got it on your first try, so let's see how long it takes someone out there to come up with the correct answer.)

Re: Riddle Me This

darn.
busted.
I was immediately poised to respond....
it's a good one...

Is the answer Pride??

wait wait I want to change my answer....is it nothing?? I'm so bad at these things...lol but I love playing

I think 'nothing' is a great answer. Please hurry, MJ, can't wait. I'm so bad at these things.

Suede, how was your weekend gig in Fla??? Was it Tampa? What kind of venue? Was hoping someone would post regarding same... Wish, oh how I wish, I could be in Ptown this weekend.

Hmm... it's got to be "Nothing"... Good job Luci!

Right, MJ?

Truly, befuddled.

Luci, go to the head of the class!

Nothing is more powerful than God.
Nothing is more evil than the devil.
The poor have nothing.
The rich need nothing.
And if you eat nothing, you will die.

Great restraint on your part, my dear Diva, as I know hard it is not to share the answer to this one right away!!

excellent, Luci!

Okay, Mint Julep, while you are still out there with answers, how about the answer or at least a hint about the quote you posted on another thread: "What would you have me do? Give out? Give up? Give in?"

Was it from a movie or book? Male or female?

Did anyone ever answer the question about Rhett Butler's destination when he finally left Scarlett? I think it was Charleston. How close am I?

whaaaa whoooo!!! ty ty that was fun!!!

Dixie Darling,

As the Fonz would say, "Correct-a-moon-doe" (or something phonetically like that)...Rhett went to Charleston.

Hints for "Give out, Give up, Give in?":
Movie for sure, play (or book) perhaps (I'm not sure)
Strong female lead actress who won an Oscar for the role.

Re: give up...

Give us another hint - is this story set in the South by any chance?

Amy,

Not in the South. As a matter of fact, not even on our continent. Think England...very old England.

And a bit of research on my part clarified that before it was a movie, this story was actually a play.

Very old England.....I guess that eliminates Meryl Streep. I don't remember that Bette Davis, Ava Gardner, or Joan Crawford did any historically based movies. Of course, Judi Dench comes to mind as a strong female lead actress, but I am drawing a blank on any "very old England" setting. Cate Blanchette played Elizabeth R, but I am not sure if she won an Oscar, but don't consider her a "strong lead actress" like the other ladies. Of course, Helen Mirren played Elizabeth I, but I think that was on HBO, so it would have meant an Emmy, not an Oscar.

Now that leaves only Katherine Hepburn. I know I saw her in "The Lion in Winter" verbally sparring with Peter O'Toole (?) when I was in college (sort of like Elizabeth Taylor & Richard Burton did in "Who's Afraid of Virginia Wolfe?"), but I don't remember if she won an Oscar for it. How close am I?

Dixie Darling,

You are not just close...you hit the nail on the head.

Katherine Hepburn won an Oscar for playing Eleanor of Acquitane, wife of King Henry (?#). It was a verbal battle over which son should be named as his successor. Obviously, they disagreed vehemently, and Eleanor was not one to shy away from her stance about which one was most suited to be king, thus she dug her heels in with: "What would you have me do? Give out? Give up? Give in?"

What do you know...I actually got that one right! Thanks for the explanation of the circumstances surrounding the quote. And that was way before the 'women's lib' movement!! Way to go, Katherine.