Return to Website

Suedewave.com Community Forum

Welcome to Suede's online community forum!

Please feel free to post favorite recipes, song requests, clubs you'd like to see Suede play, reviews of recent shows, de-skunking remedies, etc., but please keep it clean...

Your Diva is a lady of delicate sensibilities, as you know.

Now go. Talk amongst yourselves!

Suedewave.com Community Forum
Start a New Topic 
1 2
Author
Comment
Favorite Quotes

Feels like a good day to start a new topic that I hope will be inspiring and fun. I'm reading a book right now called, "The Artist's Way," which contains many wonderful quotes.
I would love to share a few and I just know you all have a few of your own to contribute.

So, this is my personal invitation to one and all: take whatever works for you and please share something of your own...

I'll start things off:

"Since you are like no other being ever created since the beginning of time, you are incomparable."
Brenda Lelend

"To live a creative life, we must lose our fear of being wrong."
Joseph Chilton Pearce

"Whenever I have to chose between two evils, I always like to try the one I haven't tried before."

"When I'm good, I'm good; When I'm bad, I'm better."
Mae West

Re: Favorite Quotes

These are the words I have chosen (and paraphrased) as the introduction for my daughter's first dance at her forthcoming wedding reception this month. I believe they are applicable from the instant we first take a breath to the moment our souls take flight:

"The journey in between what you once were and who you are now becoming is where the Dance of Life takes place."

Quote is at the bottom of the story... Cyndi

The Cracked Pot

An elderly Chinese woman had two large pots, each hung on the ends of a pole which she carried across her neck. One of the pots had a crack in it while the other pot was perfect and always delivered a full portion of water. At the end of the long walk from the stream to the house, the cracked pot arrived only half full.

For a full two years this went on daily, with the woman bringing home only one and a half pots of water.

Of course, the perfect pot was proud of its accomplishments. But the poor cracked pot was ashamed of its own imperfection, and miserable that it could only do half of what it had been made to do. After 2 years of what it perceived to be bitter failure, it spoke to the woman one day by the stream. "I am ashamed of myself, because this crack in my side causes water to leak out all the way back to your house." The old woman smiled, "Did you notice that there are flowers on your side of the path, but not on the other pot's side? That's because I have always known about your flaw, so I planted flower seeds on your side of the path, and every day while we walk back, you water them."

"For two years I have been able to pick these beautiful flowers to decorate the table. Without you being just the way you are, there would not be this beauty to grace the house." Each of us has our own unique flaw. But it's the cracks and flaws we each have that make our lives together so very interesting and rewarding. You've just got to take each person for what they are and look for the good in them.

great idea for a NEW thread and in perfect time, Amy with a capital A.
thank you.
I'll be contributing soon but am in the weeds with shows this weekend in tampa and, of course, the HUGE production for the concert next week in provincetown -now THAT'S the sort of thing I prefer spending my time on, making the music, living my passion and sharing it with you all. btw, I've just confirmed that KJ Denhert will be opening the concert for us on oct. 14. she is FABULOUS and I'm thrilled she'll be with us. check her out at www.kjdenhert.com.

I will leave you with but one of many favorite quotes.

"if you bring forth what is within you, what you bring forth will save you. if you do not bring forth what is within you, what you do not bring forth will destroy you."
- gnostic gospels

ok. one more. then I gotta go!

"I didn't say I wanted to be alone. I said I wanted to be LEFT alone. There is all the difference."
- Greta Garbo

here are a few more quotes...

When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.

Cherokee Expression

"The greatest good you can do for another is not just share your riches, but reveal to them their own."

Disraeli

Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around.

Leo Buscaglia

Wow, this is a great thread! Cyndi thanks for having one from Leo Buscaglia. Years ago I remember reading him and really loved it. He was very inspiring. I'm going to get back into his "stuff"! Thanks so much for giving me a gentle reminder about someone who I'd really enjoyed and learned from.
Lynne

So far, so good! thanks for your contributions Cyndi and Mint Julip, and congratulations on your daughters marriage, MJ.

I can not wait to take in what this thread will deliver. Be inspired, ladies!

And last but not least, Suede, so good to hear from you again... curiously, your quote from gnostic gospels is speaking to ME. PS. wishing you all the best for your upcoming shows. What a kick! - and this, coming from a frustrated musician/artist - you have all that it takes to express your insides on the outside and we will clamor, cheer for more, and love the ride, and gladly pay for the privilege. You're a lucky girl....(so, too, are we.) Couldn't resist this one either; it's meant for you, literally and figuratively: Charlie Parker said, "Music is your own experience, your thoughts, your wisdom. If you don't live it, it won't come out your horn." Cool, heh? I couln't make this stuff up. have fun. safe trip...

Thank you, Suede, for the quote from the Gnostic Gospels. I have read them extensively and am consoled by their simple wisdom. Here is a quote I have held dear for a long time by Mary Oliver:

To live in this world
you must be able
to do three things:

To love what is mortal;
to hold it
against your bones knowing
your own life depends on it;

And, when the time comes to let it go,
to let it go.

"our worst fear is not that we are inadequate. our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. it is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. we ask ourselves "who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented and fabulous?" actually, who are you not to be? you are a child of God. your playing small does not serve the world. there is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won't feel insecure around you. we are born to make manifest the glory of God within us. it is not just in some of us, it is in everyone. and as we let our light shine we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. as we are liberated from our own fear our presence automatically liberates others."
-- marianne williamson

"there is a vitality, a life force, an energy, a quickening, that is translated through you into action and because there is only one of you in all time this expression is unique. if you block it, it will never exist through any other medium and it will be lost."
- martha graham

"When I stand before God at the end of my life, I would hope that I would not have a single bit of talent left, and could say, "I used everything you gave me."

...Erma Bombeck (1927-1996), humorist extraordinaire and national treasure

(I am sure that was exactly what happened when Erma arrived at heaven's threshold a decade ago)

Each time a log on, I'm struck by the 'oneness of voice' with which so many are speaking. Have you all noticed? You know what they say about 'Birds of a feather..." I came to this site to simply get Suede's schedule and ended up finding so much more. Who knew??

"Friendship is almost always the union of a part of one mind with a part of another: People are friends in spots."

I agree Amy.... this "flock" is SOARING!!

"The larger the island of knowledge, the longer the shoreline of wonder."
- Ralph W. Sockman

"Cultivation of the mind is as necessary as food is to the body."
- Cicero

"Do more than listen, understand."
- John H. Rhodes

"A man must learn to sail in all winds."
- Anonymous

"It's not where you come from socially, it's where you go."
- Ernest Hemingway

"People who are unhappiest are those who can't see from many perspectives."
- Elizabeth Yoffe

"To be an artist means never to avert one's eyes."
- Akira Kurosawa

"If we are to reach real peace in the world, we shall have to begin with children."
-Gandhi

oooommmmmmmm....
TR

a few more...

We turn not older with years, but newer every day.
Emily Dickinson

There is nothing like returning to a place that remains unchanged to find the ways in which you yourself have altered.
Nelson Mandela

and one more...

The easiest thing to be in the world is you. The most difficult thing to be is what other people want you to be. Don't let them put you in that position.
Leo Buscaglia

Oh, Cindi, you are so right. Thank you so much for you have reminded me of something my father wrote me back in my college days. So today, I quote my father,which of course I know by heart.

"Don't ever let your mother or me or any group of people you associate with tell you what to do. All great and creative things are done by the individual. As an example, a camel is a horse made by committee...Remember, Amy, 'to thine own self be true."

Both of my parents are gone. Sitting here right now, honestly not knowing whether to cry or smile, I'm reminded how they always held me tight and let go....

Oops, mispelled your name- so sorry...

"it is not the critic who counts: not the person who points out how the strong have stumbled or where the doer of deeds could have done better. the credit belongs to the person who is actually in the arena,whose face marred by dust and sweat and blood who srive valiantly, who errs and comes up short again and again, because there is no effort without error or shortcomings, but who knows the great enthusiasms, and the great devotions, who spend themselves for a worthy cause; who at the best,know triumph of high achievment and who, at the worst, if they fail, at least they fail while daring greatly, so that this place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who knew neither victory nor defeat."

WHO SAID IT?

"It is not the critic who counts"....Teddy Roosevelt

What fanastic ideas and sayings are being posted. I thank you ladies for helping me remember times gone by, people I have known, loves gained and lost by death, and for making my mind wake to the music of great words.

I will be gone for about three weeks. When I return I will look forward to what you'all shared. I know it will be wonderful.

Just for laughs I will give you my idea of friendship. (I don't recall who said it first; however, I love it.}

A friend is someone who knows everything about you and likes you anyway.

Mint Julep......very good.

his best quote was "all the resources a person needs is in there own mind"

Hi Amy,
Whoa... how cool to be reminded of a love one. Your Dad's advise is very important! Thanks for sharing, Cyndi

And one more...

Your talent is God's gift to you. What you do with it is your gift back to God.
Leo Buscaglia

With all of the dreadful headline news of late, Robert Burns words are all the more meaningful in the 21st century than when he first penned this in the 1700's:

"Man's inhumanity to man makes countless thousands mourn."

Almost 100 years later, Emily Dickinson clearly understood the human condition and wherein mankind's salvation rested:

"If I can stop one heart from breaking,
I shall not live in vain;
If I can ease one life the aching,
Or cool one pain,
Or help one fainting robin
Unto his nest again,
I shall not live in vain."

Good morning, All.
Good post MJ... have you see this one?

There are two big forces at work, external and internal. We have very little control over external forces such as tornadoes, earthquakes, floods, disasters, illness and pain. What really matters is the internal force. How do I respond to those disasters? Over that I have complete control.
Leo Buscaglia

MJ:

"no one can make you feel inferior without your consent"

and

"the ultimate mystery is one's ownself.....admire what you really don't understand."

and

"badass nasty speed" and in response to what?

just do one thing - when you're not rushed, go back to the top of this thread and then take your time and read them slowly; the more I read them, the more they blow me away. they're awesome!!...and, it doesn't hurt that it's Friday night

Two that are a favorite of mine, but not as juicy as the ones posted. However, I was glued in front of the TV, as were millions, when they were quoted.

1) Ask not what your country can do for you: Ask what you can do for your country... JFK

2) Here's one small step for "a" man... one giant leap for mankind... Neil Armstrong

who said those quotes ann?

eleanore roosevelt

she was the cousin of my great aunt who was my god mother.just six degrees of seperation!!!!!!!!!

you answered your own question amy......what knowledge.

AS FALL IS UPON US....

"CLIMB THE MOUNTAINS AND GET THEIR GOOD TIDINGS. NATURE'S PEACE WILL FLOW INTO YOU AS SUNSHINE FLOWS INTO TREES. THE WINDS WILL BLOW THEIR OWN FRESHNESS INTO YOU, AND THE STORMS THEIR ENERGY, WHILE CARES WILL DROP OFF LIKE AUTUMN LEAVES."

- John Muir

THE GREATEST JOURNEY IS OFTEN THE DISTANCE BETWEEN TWO PEOPLE....

TR

1. One has made at least a start on discovering the meaning of human life when he plants shade trees under which he knows full well he will never sit.

2. This is the true joy in life, the being used for a purpose recognized by yourself as a mighty one; the being thoroughly worn out before you are thrown on the scrap heap; the being a force of Nature instead of a feverish selfish little clod of ailments and grievances complaining that the world will not devote itself to making you happy.

3. I shall call myself Alice and play croquet with the flamingoes.

This is so good that it must be shared:

In a third grade classroom, there is a nine-year-old kid sitting at his desk and all of a sudden, there is a puddle between his feet and the front of his pants are wet. He thinks his heart is going to stop because he cannot possibly imagine how this has happened. It's never happened before, and he knows that when the boys find out, he will never hear the end of it. When the girls find out, they'll never speak to him again as long as he lives. The boy believes his heart is going to stop; he puts his head down and prays this prayer, "Dear God, this is an emergency! I need help now! Five minutes from now I'm dead meat."

He looks up from his prayer and here comes the teacher with a look in her eyes that says he has been discovered. As the teacher is walking toward him, a classmate named Susie is carrying a goldfish bowl that is filled with water. Susie trips in front of the teacher and inexplicably dumps the bowl of water in the boy's lap. The boy pretends to be angry, but all the while is saying to himself, "Thank you, Lord! Thank you, Lord!"

Now all of a sudden, instead of being the object of ridicule, the boy is the object of sympathy. The teacher rushes him downstairs and gives him gym shorts to put on while his pants dry out. All the other children are on their hands and knees cleaning up around his desk. The sympathy is wonderful. But as life would have it, the ridicule that should have been his has been transferred to someone else - Susie. Susie tries to help, but they tell her to get out. "You've done enough, you klutz!"

Finally, at the end of the day, as they are waiting for the bus, the boy walks over to Susie and whispers, "You did that on purpose, didn't you?"
Susie whispers back, "I wet my pants once too."

May God help us see the opportunities that are always around us to do good. Remember.....Just going to church doesn't make you a Christian any more than standing in your garage makes you a car!

I just love this story --- especially the last line. I hope that in the coming years, there will be many people with fish bowls around me!

Hi Mint Julip - Thank you for a great story. It reminds me of Dr. Wayne Dyer's 'The Power of Intention' story about the special-needs young boy, forever bench-warmer on the local baseball team, for obvious reasons, who finally gets his chance at bat. And because of the many 'intentional mishaps' of the defense, he crosses homeplate to the cheers of ALL.

I came across this (unrelated) quote this morning: "If you're going to bury your head in the sand, don't complain about the dark.

By the way, MJ, how was your daughter's wedding??

Thanks for remembering & asking about my daughter's wedding. In two words: Beautifully Perfect!...from the bride herself down to the weather (75 degrees & sunny with no tropical storms brewing in the Atlantic as is the usual case in the month of October).

A good time was had by all. Although we had three photographers snapping pictures all evening who got still pictures of everything, how I wished someone had videotaped the Bride (veil & train intact) hiking up her wedding dress and doing the Electric Slide with her new mother-in-law and then being joined on the dance floor by her father (normally militarily reserved) who matched them both step for step! In all her 25 years, I have never seen my daughter as happy as she was on October 21, 2006, a truly perfect wedding day for all who shared it with her.

Another quote... have a great day. Cyndi

As we grow up, we learn that even the one person that wasn't supposed to ever let you down probably will. You will have your heart broken probably more than once and it's harder every time. You'll break hearts too, so remember how it felt when yours was broken. You'll fight with your best friend. You'll blame a new love for things an old one did. You'll cry because time is passing too fast, and you'll eventually lose someone you love. So take too many pictures, laugh too much, and love like you've never been hurt because every sixty seconds you spend upset is a minute of happiness you'll never get back.
Don't be afraid that your life will end, be afraid that it will never begin.
~anonymous~

Cyndi,

Just the words a dear friend of mine could use today. I have taken the liberty of passing it on in its entirety to her. I certainly would have loved to meet Anonymous...what a wise soul!

Cyndi Re: Don't be afraid your life will end; be afraid it will never begin.
The whole quotation is great but that last part stands on its own. There's one quote on this thread that I actually repeat over and over, like a mantra, sometimes when I meditate. This will be the second.

Oooommmm Sweet Oooommmm

A man can't ride your back unless it's bent.
Martin Luther King

This is great. I've read all 40 so far.

IF YOU ALWAYS DO WHAT YOU'VE ALWAYS DONE
YOU'LL ALWAYS GET WHAT YOU'VE ALWAYS GOTTEN.

To Amy, and all who have contributed, thank you for the inspiration. I am sending a web site developed by Mr. Victor Kahn called "The Great Illusion...The Unlocking of the Secret Path". His words are accompanied by the visionary paintings of Jim Warren. These writings have provided many hours of reflection, insight, and enrichment. I have forwarded the site to many friends and all have enjoyed it. I encourage you all to take a look. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.

http://www.thegreatillusion.com/choices.html

"You don't take a photograph. You ask, quietly, to borrow it." -Author unknown

http://knelsonphotography.blogspot.com

Suede, thank you for keeping in contact with my mom (Kathie Zink)....it means alot to her :-)

Re: Re: Favorite Quotes

"forgiveness is giving up all hope for a better past"
-attributed to lily tomlin (and therefore possibly jane wagner as well)

"truth is, I've always been selling out. the difference is that in the past, I looked like I had integrity because there were no buyers."
- lily tomlin (and jane wagner?)

we LOVE her (them).

"Change is good...you go first"

ps: yes, what is not to love about lillie tomlin. wish we saw more of her. saw her in prairie home companion recently. she and meryl were wonderful together.

Amy, you are so right about Tomlin & Streep in "Prairie Home Companion"...would have loved to hear more of their harmonizing. After seeing Streep in "Postcards from the Edge" and hearing her do her own singing in it, I was even more disappointed that Streep doesn't showcase her singing more. Of course, if a movie has Streep in the cast, I will watch it irrespective of the subject matter of the movie itself.

Here's a variation on a theme:

Life is change. Growth is optional. Choose wisely.

Had to share this one! Cyndi

"There are some people who live in a dream world, and there are some who face reality; and then there are those who turn one into the other."

~ Sam Levinson

I love that, Cyndi, and I think you'll appreciate this one:

"To create one's own world takes courage."
Georgia O'keefe

...and here's a fun one that I absolutely adore - I can't recall the author though:

"What this world needs are more geniuses with humility - there are so few of us left."

Amy,

Loved your quote...which is from Oscar Levant. Reminds me of several people I have worked with over the past 20 years.

Thanks, Amy. That is a good one.

Here is one more that I love....

No matter what your dream may be, don't allow too many facts to get
in the way. Instead,color it boldly across the canvas of your
imagination, and gaze confidently at it daily. Your dream need not
be in alignment with all the facts to come true, but it does need
your devoted attention if it is to become your fact.
~Douglas H. Everett

please pardon the reference to the masculine in this quote. I'd change it except I am quoting, of course. I trust you'll get the gist regardless of gender specific wording ~~

I am always reminded of this quote when people ask what I do with my time off, something I don't generally have much of in my view....which is fine. read on and you'll see why.

"the master in the art of living draws no distinction between his work and his play, his labor and his leisure, his mind and his body, his education and his recreation, his love and his religion. he hardly knows which is which. he simply pursues his vision of excellence through whatever he is doing and leaves it to others to determine whether he is working or playing, to himself he is always doing both."
- susan fowler woodring

1 2