Return to Website

Suedewave.com Community Forum

Welcome to Suede's online community forum!

Please feel free to post favorite recipes, song requests, clubs you'd like to see Suede play, reviews of recent shows, de-skunking remedies, etc., but please keep it clean...

Your Diva is a lady of delicate sensibilities, as you know.

Now go. Talk amongst yourselves!

Suedewave.com Community Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Jane Chambers

Just got the Diva's e-mail notes about her involvement with the Jane Chambers project. I clicked on one of the links provided and found a brief biographical note about Chambers.

I was almost bowled over when I read that Jane was truly a Steel Magnolia by birthright alone, having been born in Columbia, SC, just 90 miles up the road from my dear Charleston! 'The Eight Faces of Jane' will definitely be on my "must watch" list. Can't wait to hear the debut of the song as only Suede can sing it.

Re: Jane Chambers

my dear and gentile mint julep,

you beat me to the punch! I was going to post something right here about jane's work and the film project so thank you for doing so in such a prompt manner.

I was thinking of adding jane's work to the "books, etc.," postings but we've moved on to well beyond three full pages with that and I did not want it to be buried! go pick up her books and plays. if you have not yet heard of her I am certain you'll enjoy her work very much. in fact, her sense of humor is somewhat similar to mine - be warned or thrilled as you may....

Re: Jane Chambers

Dear Mint Julep, and others -- Jane Chambers was my best friend. There is not a day that passes without my thinking of her. I am happily involved in the film that is being created by Alison McMahan about her work and too short life. She died in her mid forties of brain cancer while working on the first play of a proposed trilogy which would have expanded the scope of her work from simply lesbian to something much simpler and grander -- making lesbians an accepted part of the larger society. What Suede has not mentioned in her posting is that the song she will perform in the film and will premiere in Provinctown on October 15 is actually the product of Jane herself with a wonderful composer, Bronwen Jones. The lyrics are by Jane and are drawn from her own poetry. Once compiled, the lyrics were sent to Bronwen who composed a haunting melody . I have had over the past few years the great good fortune to work with Suede and to come to know her well. To me there could be no better marriage than to have Suede sing this song for the film. I have known many people in my life, but am hard pressed to find a better match than Suede to represent Jane musically. They both have/had the same astonishing mixture of toughness, determination, intellectual acuity, and incredibly endearing, almost childlike vulnerability. But you did not hear that from me.