Return to Website

Suedewave.com Community Forum

Welcome to Suede's online community forum!

Please feel free to post favorite recipes, song requests, clubs you'd like to see Suede play, reviews of recent shows, de-skunking remedies, etc., but please keep it clean...

Your Diva is a lady of delicate sensibilities, as you know.

Now go. Talk amongst yourselves!

Suedewave.com Community Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
More About Books

Of all the books mentioned here thus far, my all-time favorite is actually one of the Diva’s recommendations, The Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk Kidd. After reading the initial reviews of the book in 2002, I originally bought it because the author was a Southern soul sister, born & raised in my home state of Georgia with the same adopted home city and state of Charleston, South Carolina. (Hey, Mint Julep, I bet you have read it, too!)

Don’t let the title of it fool you as it may on the surface. In a nutshell, it is: “A powerful story of coming-of-age, race relations, the ability of love to transform our lives and the often unacknowledged longing for the universal feminine divine, the novel tells the story of a 14-year-old Lily, who runs away with her black housekeeper in 1964 South Carolina and the sanctuary they both find in the home of 3 eccentric beekeeping sisters.”

Although it is apparently being adapted into a movie, it is a must-read-it-to-fully-appreciate-it kind of book that is being taught in college and high school classrooms as a modern classic. I have given this book as a gift to three very dear friends. Each of them has called to thank me for it as they were totally unaware of the story it contained. One of them actually thought it was merely about beekeeping because of its title and said she would have never bought it for herself (I think she really needs to get out more!).

Its underlying theme of universal love is something that so many of us participating on Suede’s Community Forum genuinely understand since we live it every day. So do something for yourself that will leave you smiling and feeling optimistic about the basic goodness within all of us…..read this book!

Re: More About Books

"Ditto" from this Southern Soul Sister.

When I read it, I envisioned a young Mary Stuart Masterson (remember her youthfulness in "Fried Green Tomatoes" and "Chances Are") as Lily. So just in case Central Casting calls to ask my opinion, I am ready with a recommendation!

Dixie Darling, Mint Julip, and Suede can't all be wrong. This Jersey Girl is going to the bookstore today. I constantly read so much non-fiction that, sometimes, I need to be hit on the head to read a good novel. Thank you, Ladies...

that's weird, just posted and it never appeared but I will try again.
So I did buy the book and am half way through it. May has just gone out in the dark after hearing about Zach. Almost from the start, I feel like I have to keep reminding myself to breath.

I am writing this post through teary eyes. Just finished "Secret Life of Bees." If you long for a book that is less a reading and more an experience, this is it.
It affirms and celebrates all that I know, and am still learning, about the blessings of being a woman and of the women, especially my elders, who have touched my life.
I turned fifty earlier this year, and it is, without question, the year of my rebirth. I always saw myself as a person first and a female second. But now and for the next fifty, I relish embracing my womanhood and sisterhood and all their abundance!
This book has to be shared; looks like it's back to the bookstore for some gift-shopping!

Amy,

If you are not a professional book reviewer, you have certainly missed your calling. What a beautiful description of this book and eloquent expression of how it effected you. I, too, was brought to tears (more than once) while reading this incredibly moving story. You are so right about it being a life-affirming experience for any woman who reads it.

Just like Dixie Darling, I have given this book to several friends who have all been deeply touched by it.

Mint Julip,

Thank you so much... I can hardly take any credit though because it is this wonderful book that is inspiring on so many levels.

Take care,
Amy

ps what next to read, ladies? Maybe there's an undiscovered title out there that we can all read and then dish..??...

I've just returned from a mini-getaway to P-town on Cape Cod and what a beautiful time, too... Autumn's colorful dress, crisp/waking air, an intense day of temperamental winds and rain (how breath-taking to walk the town, during a deluge, of sorts, while the locals take it ALL in stride), sunny and clear skies, as well. The Cape certainly has the charm and calm to invite one's "nourishment" of reading.

I'm on the last pages of Pam Houston's SIGHT HOUND and what a delightful page turner!! This witty and insightful read WILL allow you to reflect upon the "real deal" called SELF and the bond/love/devotion shared with an animal and wherever, or with whomever, LOVE/HAPPINESS/FAITH/ADVENTURE/RISK/DISAPPOINTMENT/ILLNESS
may take you. Sometimes we set out on one journey only to find a different set of journeys leading us to a HIGHER/HEALTHIER awareness....ya just have to scratch, sniff, listen and SEE!! (Having had a similar scenario in my life with my Pug, Fanny, I am soooo grateful to Suede for recommending this book.) You'll laugh, you'll cry and most importantly, you'll SMILE!!

The other book I'm reading is Jane Goodall's HARVEST FOR HOPE, A Guide to Mindful Eating. To be conscientious and responsible for ALL we "consume" is reason enough to read this with the open-mindedness to CHANGE some of our bad, or uninformed, ways around FOOD!! I'm "in"!!!!

TR