Return to Website

Suedewave.com Community Forum

Welcome to Suede's online community forum!

Please feel free to post favorite recipes, song requests, clubs you'd like to see Suede play, reviews of recent shows, de-skunking remedies, etc., but please keep it clean...

Your Diva is a lady of delicate sensibilities, as you know.

Now go. Talk amongst yourselves!

Suedewave.com Community Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Got Books?

Wondering what to do with all those previously read books that you probably won't read again that are simply taking up space on your shelves?

Pass Christian, Mississippi was decimated by Katrina and has had little if any assistance in getting their lives back in order. Several months ago, we responded to a plea for assistance that appeared in our local newspaper and sent the essential clothing they so desperately needed (underwear, bras, t-shirts, socks, etc) and again when another letter appeared asking for flower seeds to help "put color back in their lives." Just as we had done with the clothing, we put a stamped/addressed postcard in the package asking for it to be returned to let us know that our box of flower seed packets was received. In the brief note of thanks, a dear woman, Gayla Schmitt, wrote that she was going to plant the flower seeds around their newly-donated trailer library as it was the place people gathered for news & information. So, of course, this Steel-Magnolia brain of mine immediately clicked with an idea of what to do with our large & eclectic collection of paperback beach books, so-o-o...over 75 books (45 lbs. worth) are now in that trailer library, not to be checked out as much as simply shared freely among everyone there for a little much-needed escapism.

Via e-mail, Gayla said: “If these are giveaway type books, kids or adults, they can be sent to me and I’ll distribute them through the schools and churches and council meetings.”

Gayla Schmitt
543 East Second St.
Pass Christian, MS 39571

Please write: “Leave on Porch” on the package.

(We recommend sending it media/book rate to minimize postage expense.)

So, Diva Devotees & all those other Steel Magnolias out there, if you would be interested in helping the people of Pass Christian and have “gently used” books that are appropriate (or even new books if your pocketbooks allow – I bought some for the children), please send Pass Christian a "care package for the mind & soul" as all of us need a little escapism now & then.

We got more pleasure from packing our books up for Pass Christian than we did from actually reading them! As I wrote to Gayla about restoring their lives in Pass Christian, in the words of Emily Dickinson:

"I'll tell you how the sun rose....a ribbon at a time."

Or perhaps in this case, one book at a time.

Re: Got Books?

What an amazing thing to do, I have tons of old books hanging around in boxes collecting dust and waiting for my next move. I am going to get them together and send them off. Also will contact my daughter and get the grandchildrens old books to send.

Thanks for sharing this, leave it to a "Diva fan" to find a wonderful thing to do for others.

ditto to what the fabulous bea said...what a great, great idea. thanks to rhonda for sharing it and the info needed to contribute. come on devotees, lighten the load!

Your idea is great. I have books that need to be shared and will start getting them ready for shipment. I will get the information out to my community and see if we can't get more donations. I know more of Suede's fans will be delighted to donate. Thank you, Mint Julep, for letting us know about a need that we can help fill.

Sallie,

When I e-mailed Gayla to ask if I could 'publish' her address, I wrote that perhaps someday in the future I could visit Pass Christian to see their new library and all those flower seeds in bloom.

This was her response:

"Thanks for the privacy consideration, but my address was in your local newspaper with Flowers for Friends. It has actually brought us a lot more
friends. Since we were among the lucky few flooded houses still standing here, we have become something of a meeting place anyway. We are in the process of moving back into part of our house now and look forward to getting back to normal some day. We do have a guest room and bath ready. No central AC yet, but a window unit. So, come on down."

There is nothing quite like good Southern hospitality! On behalf of Pass Christian, thank you for opening your heart as well as your book collection to the good people of this small community that is still struggling to reclaim its heart & soul.

Mint Julep this is a follow up on your posting for books. In Oct I went to Georgia for a reunion. Since I would be going by Pass Christian I gathered all the books I could for their library. Our librarian here donated about 400 pounds of books. The only room I had in my van was the drivers seat. The rest of the van was filled with books. It had been a year since Katrina hit. The bridge from New Orleans to Pass Christian was still out. I was able to get there by using I10. The first thing I saw was people living in tents, campers, and small mobile homes. The wreckage of homes and landscape was still visible. A chemical company has donated a double wide mobile home for the library. I went to the old library and found a block building still standing. The water had taken out the windows and doors and ruined all the books inside. There was a concrete slab in front of the library. I asked what it had been....it was their court house. Everything inside was lost. The people in Pass Chreistian have a most positive spirit. They are rebuilding as best they can. I asked what they needed. They said "workman." The problem is that they have no place to house them. Anyone that comes to help must bring their own living space with them. This section of the coast was hit harder than New Orleans. Each of us need to pray for their return to normal living and to thank a higher power that it was not us. Thank you for taking the time to post one of their needs on this board.

Sallie,

Thank you for the update on Pass Christian. What a wonderful gift from the heart you transported with you. Several local Charleston church groups have made pilgrimages to that area over the past year. And you are so right, this area still needs a lot of support and help in rebuilding. Even in cyberspace, I was struck by the tenacity with which everyone there has held on as well as their inherent ability to endure with hope for better tomorrows. I still hope to get to meet my cyberspace friends from Pass Christian in person someday as they are truly the ones with "The Right Stuff."