Return to Website

Suedewave.com Community Forum

Welcome to Suede's online community forum!

Please feel free to post favorite recipes, song requests, clubs you'd like to see Suede play, reviews of recent shows, de-skunking remedies, etc., but please keep it clean...

Your Diva is a lady of delicate sensibilities, as you know.

Now go. Talk amongst yourselves!

Suedewave.com Community Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Annapolis show

Suede - I was introduced to your music last night by friends of ours who took us to your show. What a delight! When I found out that you went to SPHS, and heard you play the trumpet, I had to wonder if you took private lessons from my father, Mr. Probeck. Well, I phoned him this morning and he confirmed it. Dad was so pleased to hear about your musical success. We'll all be there at your next concert in Annapolis!

Re: Annapolis show

ha! small world indeed! yes, I studied with your dad for about 4 lessons. being self taught all my life I'm afraid I've never been a very good conventional student so I didn't last long with him. I certainly do remember him tho - brilliant musician and passionate teacher! please send my best regards his way and welcome to the fold!

Suede, were you in the marching band by any chance way back when?

was I ever.....bigtime. our HS band was state champs for all 3 years I was there and won many awards such as first place in the kentucky derby competition and more. and, I was the first woman president of the band in what was previously a very male dominated organization. it was a pretty big deal way back then.....ground breaking, actually. caused quite a stir even then.

Are you sure we weren't separated at birth? For 2 years before I got up to the HS, the band had marched in the Orange Bowl Parade and did half-time at the Peach Bowl. (Our band also was on about a 5 year winning streak - had a great director). In 10th, I really wanted to join but couldn't exactly march with my guitar. The band director said, "One of trumpet players will miss the football game in 10 days, if you can learn the show, you can join, and I did. They all welcomed this new-comer with open arms. Couldn't blow a note but I learned the show. So that's how I started playing the trumpet. That same year, we started raising money to march in Ireland the following year (11th grade) for St. Patricks Week. So I quickly learned how to play and by 11th grade, was unanimously voted VP - they said I started as the silent minority and ended up the speaking majority. What an understatement! So, March '73, chartered a TWA plane and flew over with, oh, about 130 of my best friends! We had such a ball - traveled all over, stayed in a different city/town/hamlet every night. We did THE ST. Patricks Day Parade in Dublin, and marched in the Limerick International Band Comp. We took 1st in Band Front, Brass and Reeds, and Best Over-All. And did our half-time show at some soccer or hurling match championship but the funny thing was, that while we were marching in the background, the Wide World of Sports was interviewing...let's see, what's his name again..oh, yeah, OJ Simpson!! At years end our band director gave out the award for Most Spirited Band Member...guess who? I loved being in the band. Of course, to you I defer, Madame President, and I only VP....I would have to say that Diva was your Destiny even back then. What fun remembering. Couldn't we tell some stories, heh?