Home      Classifieds      Advertise      Mailing List      Forum      Museum      Contact      Links      Recommend      Join    

Only members may place adverts for the sale of memorabilia

If you are not a member and wish to advertise items for sale,

please contact the administrator

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Enamel used on badges

I am looking to put an article together regarding enamelled helmet plates, but I do not know the terms for the enamel used. There are two main types, the dull looking softer enamel used on current badges, and the brighter enamel used on badges from the 1980's. If anyone could help me with the terms used I would be most grateful.

Re: Enamel used on badges

Gary

The original enamel used from the 80's was called Hard enamel as it was baked on and very hard and difficult to damage - they then moved to the cheaper stuff that just popped out all the time and that was called cold enamel as it was just poured onto the helmet plate after it has been chromed and lastly some forces helmet plates have cold enamel and then a plastic cover on top to prevent the cheap enamel popping out.

You can see it on my web page as the plates are listed

http://trooperhats.co.uk/surreypolicecollection.html

Hope that helps

Chris

Re: Enamel used on badges

Hi, The older type hard enamel is called VITREOUS ENAMEL. This is a coloured glass powder which is then melted in a kiln to produce a hard glossy glass finish. The new softer enamel is called EPOXY a bit like a coloured araldite. This method tends to leave the lettering and detail proud of the colour and often comes away in a single piece. The clear plastic covering often seen on later badges is called CHRYSTAL RESIN.

Hope this helps.

Home      Classifieds      Advertise      Mailing List      Forum      Museum      Contact      Links      Recommend      Join    

©PMCC