Home      Classifieds      Advertise      Mailing List      Forum      Museum      Contact      Links      Recommend      Join    

Only members may place adverts for the sale of memorabilia

If you are not a member and wish to advertise items for sale,

please contact the administrator

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
1868 Metropolian Police Sword...

1868 Metropolitan Police Sword – VERY RARE

Hi everyone! Ex PICA member here but I've just found PMCC which is great. I'm trying to find a good home for the above sword.

I have been collecting Police swords, cutlass, helmet plates, cap badges, painted truncheons, etc. for over 20 years.

Owing to my age and ill health I have disposed of all my collection over the last few years. Some sold but, in the main, I have given everything away to fellow collectors who are either serving or ex-police officers.

I have recently put this very rare sword up for auction on eBay along with a police short sword and a police cutlass. Each time I have withdrawn the items for one reason or another. I no longer have the short sword or the cutlass as I’ve given them away too!

I used to live in England but now live on Orkney which is a collection of some 80 Islands to the North-East of Scotland. This sword was, and still is, my pride and joy. I would very much like it to go to a good home where someone will cherish it, like I have, for the last 20 years.

I don’t want to it go to a dealer but rather an ex or serving Police Officer. This may seem odd in this day and age but I'm quite genuine. I’m not selling it for the money but for the satisfaction of seeing it safe for the future.

Having said that, I actually 'rescued' this sword from America and paid nearly £700 for it.

The sword appears in Mervyn’s book ‘The Policeman’s Lot’ as well as other books also.

It was the very first sword issued to The Thames River Police (Metropolitan Police) in 1868.

Recently I have cleaned it for the very first time since it’s been in my custody. It now is a beautiful item and the cleaning has revealed more stamped marks on the blade. The leather is in fine condition and altogether it’s the best example of this sword I think I’ve ever seen.

The marks on the sword are as follows:

M.P. (Metropolitan Police), FIELD (Maker), /| (Government mark), 1868 and an X

’03, Queen Victoria’s Crown and BR 26

The new marks found are:

Queen Victoria’s Crown and BR 36

Queen Victoria’s crown and P6

FIELD were an extremely popular maker of Police Swords, Cutlass, etc. and later became known as Parker, Field and Sons, Holborn. London. I'm sure you all know that already though!!!

If you’re at all interested in buying this very rare sword please write to me at Mike@ADUB.org and I'll send you pictures of it as well as answer any questions.

Best wishes and good luck to the PMCC

Home      Classifieds      Advertise      Mailing List      Forum      Museum      Contact      Links      Recommend      Join    

©PMCC